An unexpected stroke of luck
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: An unexpected stroke of luck

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Wonderful deal you have there Ecclesey with all those Rolls models, worked out very cheap for NEO's per car! I know I would have been pleased too and thanks for the extra story on the Maharajah's car, that's a car I've seen in pictures, many time too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Great story about the maharadja. And your collection has expanded with some real gems.

Thanks of course Theo.

When I concluded the deal with the seller and we exchanged addresses and banking details last Thursday, he told me that he was not connected to internet banking. Still old school paper based bank statements. And the next statement, showing the receipt of the payment, would be due next Wednesday. But, he said: by the tone of your voice I am convinced that you are trustworthy, so I will send it off today.................

I said to him, I can send you an email with a screenshot of my bank transfer, showing the relevant payment, he said: don't bother, no need, I trust you.

Amazing this man. I send him the screenshot anyway just for his and my peace of mind.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
That mystery Ghost model you now know as a Phantom has lisensed R-R wheels so I was going to suggest somebody like Minichamps or Kyosho, but you now have it and the mysery is no more.

Rolls-Royce and Everest. Peter Lloyd is the engineer that developed oxygen equipment for high-altitude climbing and at the Ministry of Aviation was involved with work on Rolls-Royce 'Spey' Aircraft engines.

I saw the 'Rajkot' Phantom II on numerous visits to the Stratford Motor Museum, Warickshire, here in the UK. I was going there so many times I purcased a special entry ticket (shouls still have it somewhere!) and I must have taken quite a number of pictures for my own miniature 1/43rd scale version based on a Western Models whitemtal kit (should also still have that somewhere!!) and as nice as she looks in pictures, in real life she takes your breath away.

Rollerman.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
TheRollerman wrote:
Rolls-Royce and Everest. Peter Lloyd is the engineer that developed oxygen equipment for high-altitude climbing and at the Ministry of Aviation was involved with work on Rolls-Royce 'Spey' Aircraft engines.

Rollerman.

Thanks Kevin.

What I am looking for, in relation to the Mount Everest climb of 1953, is a different detail.

Yesterday I was watching an older BBC television program "Mountain" presented by Griff Rhys Jones, the Welsh comic. He was in Snowdonia climbing with a man who, at 23 years of age, was the youngest in the 1953 Everest crew, his name George Band OBE; he died in 2011. He was in his seventies during that program.

Just as George was telling about something they took from a Rolls Royce motorcar, the phone rang and I was distracted, not hearing what he really said.

I believe that one of the (small) flags they took with them to the top of Mount Everest was taken from a Rolls Royce. But I need to get confirmation.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
You can probably get that show on line at BBC. Try to re watch it.

Try this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007xqyn

Not watchable here in Canada as it is only for UK audiences but maybe this will help you out.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
You can probably get that show on line at BBC. Try to re watch it.

Try this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007xqyn

Not watchable here in Canada as it is only for UK audiences but maybe this will help you out.

The BBC I-Player is only for UK watchers. But I will find something for sure.

Otherwise I'll give Griff Rhys Jones a call.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
There are some on youtube, but I don't know if they are clips or full episodes.

Rollerman.

UPDATE...

Just had a look and I can not find the episode Gerrit needs (''Snowdonia'') so I will have a look on the BBC iPlayer.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by TheRollerman.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
It is on BBC iPlayer at the moment but the download function has failed Twice for me so I don't currently have a copy of the episode.

I thought I would watch it instead at least then I would see what Gerrit wants...Ha, Ha, that did not work, pressing play for the episode only gives me the Audio, NO visuals, don't know whats going on there...!

Rollerman.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
UPDATE...

I have now heard the whole episode of ''Mountain'' and the story Gerrit did not quit here fully refers to the preperation of the climb to the top of Everest. The preperations were taking place in the garden of the Ambasedore of Katmandoo and it was the Ambasedore that asked where is the flag for the top of Everest and someone in the team said...''what flag, we don't have one''' and the Ambasedore said...''I'll let you have the one of my Rolls-Royce''.

Rollerman.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Thanks an awful lot Kevin.

That is what I did not hear when the phone rang.

The picture I show is from Edmund Hillary on the summit waving flags in 1953. The flag in the middle is the Kathmandu flag. Probably that one was taken from the RR.

This Rolls Royce was in Kathmandu in 1953, it is a 1937 model. Maybe this is the very car.

Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
No, the story was specific about the flag being the 'Union Jack' (actually it is just a Union flag until it is on a 'Jack' mast on board a Boat) so it is the Second flag down from the top.

As for that car you show, yes, it could be, not many cars went to Katmandu and being 1953 when they started their journey to the top of Everest, the official car could have been a Silver Dawn or Silver Wraith. I can find no record of a Silver Dawn going there, but a Silver Wraith (BLW 75), went their for the use of the Ambasedore in February 1954, a little too late for the climing preperations in the Garden of the Ambasedore's residency, so that 25/30H.P. ''DXX 123'' is the prime candidate so far unless you can find something else.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by TheRollerman.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 7 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
The flag on the top of the little mast if from the United Nations, so the Kathmandu flag is #3. But as you said it was the U.F. that was taken from the RR.

By the way the man holding the flags is not Hillary it is Tenzing Norgay. Hillary took the picture.

The Nepal Hooper Silver Wraith was taken over by Mary, the Princess Royal in 1958.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Ecclesley.
  • Page: