An unexpected stroke of luck
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: An unexpected stroke of luck

An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Theo had his unexpected present last weekend, as well as an unexpected shocking surprise in a more negative way.

Funny enough I had a sheer stroke of unexpected luck this early morning. About three weeks ago I found an ad on the Dutch site of Marktplaats (Marketplace). Someone offering a small collection of 1/43 Rolls Royce modelcars. Seven models in total (one of which was a Bentley). Five classic models by Neo, one Silver Wraith II by GTO models (handmade) and a modern Ghost DHC of a brand I did not register. He was looking for a proper bid on the models. I let it go; although some classic Neo's are on my wishlist, I had other plans at that moment.

Yesterday afternoon the collection was re-advertised. And now I made a bid on one of the seven cars offered, an MPW Continental Bentley by Neo. At about 23:30 late in the evening I got a reply saying: I am only selling the whole lot in one blow, you can have them for.............................€ 75,00.

Ehhh € 75,-- for seven quality models cars? I replied immedately: in that case they are sold, give me your bank account number and I'll transfer right away. Next, nothing happened. I stayed up until 00:30 and finally went to bed hoping to find an answer this morning. Well you can imagine that I was up rather early, but no mail had come in. The ad was still there and I could see that I was not the only one interested. During the night the number of people watching this ad had multiplied.

I thought oh my, oh my, I'll bet that one of those people might have given a higher bid than the initial € 75,-- asked. So I sent another mail saying I would raise my bid upto 100 Euro, (hoping to beat any competition).

What to do next? His tel # was displayed, but you don't call at 06:00 in the morning, do you. So I waited until 09:30 and gave him a call, he answered the phone while he was walking his dog saying he went to bed last evening after he contacted me, but he would check his mail as soon as he got home. Twenty minutes later he calls me saying: I found your mail, and a whole lot of others as well. But as you were the #1 to react I will deal with you first. I see that you are willing to raise your bid to € 100. How about finalising the deal at that amount, all in, postage included. And so the deal was done.

We exchanged our addresses and banking details, the money went out and he posted the parcel at mid day. How about that. Now you might wonder what I bought:

Here they are:

NEO: Rolls Royce Phantom II Owen Sedanca Coupe Gurney Nutting in display case. Ebay prices from € 70,--.

Rolls Royce Phantom II Thrupp and Maberly, Star of India in display case. Ebay prices from € 60,--.

NEO: Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Doctors Coupé, both the closed and open version, in display case, Ebay prices from € 80,--.

NEO: Bentley S3 Continental MPW in display case, Ebay prices from € 45,00.

The final two are a handmade Silver Wraith II by GTO models and a Ghost DHC, no idea which brand.

Amazing this. I had a lengthy telephone conversation with him when he called me back. One would wonder who is this blithering idiot selling this stuff so low. Well he is moving house and things had to go, and he was happy to let me have these at the money agreed.
His real name is Klaas, but I call him SinterKlaas (Santaclaus), which according to the crazy political correct people is wrong; we must re-name it  in a more neutral way, something like: the happy gifts man.

Now I only have to wait until tomorrow before..........................
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Bargain of the whole Year so far Gerrit and what a nice boost to your collection.

Rollerman.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin, any idea who made that Ghost DHC?

I do not collect those newfangled RR models so I have no idea who it is.

Edit: I think it is Kyosho. And a Phantom.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Those all look like very nice cars and the price is certainly right. You have good eyes and as you stayed on top of it, the reward for effort was fantastic. Great to see you add these wonderful looking cars to your collection. Congrats.
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #5

SUPERB ! Can't wait to seeing them

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Houston, Eagle has landed.......

The display boxes are a bit dust soiled but with a little soapy water they will be shining like a goat's ass very soon.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
A very nice lot , some very nice looking models.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Come on Ecclesley, you are going to have to explain the 'shining like a goat's ass'.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder

All in good humour.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Terrytoo wrote:
Come on Ecclesley, you are going to have to explain the 'shining like a goat's ass'.

I believe the real saying is: shining like a diamond in a goat's ass.

In the meantime I have cleaned the display boxes, the reason for being so soiled was not just dust, the man who sold me this must have been a (pipe)smoker judging by the smell. But they are very clean and look as new.

The models inside however were all tip top.
Here the Phantom II Owen Sedanca:

Phantom II, Star of India, the car from the Maharaja of Rajkot:

Both Silver Ghost Doctor's Coupé models are so neat. Now one might wonder why doctor's coupé? In fact two seater Ghosts were rather popular among doctors and of course when a doctor visits and leaves the patient he did not want to disturb the sick man/woman and left him/her in peace by getting away in the ever so silent Ghost.

Next a Bentley (missing its mascot, but never mind) S3 Continental also called the Korenental thanks to its designer Villiam Koren.

All these were by NEO.
Then we have a Silver Wraith II (a long wheelbase Silver Shadow) by a Hong Kong maker/seller GTO models. Not bad at all, maybe a bit square-ish:

What I thought was a Kyosho model appears to be a Minichamps product and one which seems to be  somewhat hard to find nowadays. This a Phantom DHC from 2007.
Very minor damage which is easy to correct. The car came in a small cardboard box displaying a pipe smoking man and the brand name Peterson, that explaisn the smelly smoky stuff on the boxes.

And sent the man a big thanks for letting me have these at such a rockbottom price.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Well, you have a very nice group of cars and from what you said, a steel of a deal. That orange Star of India with the chrome plated hood is hard on the eyes but I can see a Maharaja driving it with a big grin on his face.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Well, you have a very nice group of cars and from what you said, a steel of a deal. That orange Star of India with the chrome plated hood is hard on the eyes but I can see a Maharaja driving it with a big grin on his face.

This is one of those very special Rolls Royce motorcars, well known all over the globe.

The color is saffron ochre. This car, of 1934, was sold by the family of the deceased Rajkot Maharaja Thakorsaheb Dharmendrasinh Jadeja (not your every day name) in 1968.

First it was in England and next it went to a German collector Hans Günther Zach who displayed it in his private museum. In 2010 the car was bought by the great grandson of the Maharaja, Yuvraj Saheb Mandhatasinh Jadeja,  for 644.000 Pounds at auction as a present for his father's 75th birthday.

Here the car showing the buyer and his wife. Colorful people with likewise cars. Not shy from being as extravagant as the former raja's.

The arms of the state of Rajkot are displayed on the side of the car.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
It makes a car special when there is a history and a story behind them. Thanks for the explanation. I did not know.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #14

Great story about the maharadja. And your collection has expanded with some real gems.

Re: An unexpected stroke of luck 4 years, 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
It makes a car special when there is a history and a story behind them. Thanks for the explanation. I did not know.

Every car has some kind of history but when it comes down to Rolls Royce and Bentley, of which in comparison with other car makes only very few were made, there is history in abundance.

Point is that almost every chassis has been registered and archived, many famous celebrities, royalty, heads of state, film/pop stars, writers, ochestra conductors, criminals and such were once in posession of a Rolls Royce. The list is endless.

So there is so much to know and that for me makes collecting these models and books so worthwhile. It is not just the car, it is the story behind it. And I like sharing this to put it in its contemporary perspective.

Just yesterday I learned that RR has something to do with the British Mount Everest expedition of 1953, so I am gonna dig into that to get the details.

If you would compare RR history that with that of a few million VW Beetles, then you have Herbie and a few others, but that is about it. Mind you there is nothing wrong with collecting Beetles.
  • Page: