James Young DHC Silver Cloud
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: James Young DHC Silver Cloud

James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
It took a while before finding one at a reasonable price, but patience paid off.

This TSM 1959 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I DHC (more a two seater) is a model of a one off piece of coachbuilding by J.Y. The interior is an ace quality of work.

Chassis no. LSJF202, the car was bought by Count Francois de Calverte of Geneva Switzerland. Next it went to the US, where it underwent a complete restoration. Auctioned in 2014 for 742.000 Dollars. I believe I saw a price tag of 1,5 million USD recently..............

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for showing this car. In the Mid to Late 1960's I had a buddy who's aunt had one exactly the same as this car. 2 door convertible and it was so nice to ride in. Most time his Aunt would drive us to where we wanted to go. He also had access to a Sunbeam Tiger, same as the Alpine but with a V-8 engine. 283 or 289, can remember ford or chevy power train. He did get to use the Rolls every now and then and that is how I found out just how much power these Rolls Royce's actually had. It was fast and impressive in the ride. The Sunbeam Tiger was much faster by the way, as you would expect but a hard bumpy ride.

I guess the only thing I can't remember is the rear seat. Seems to me it was larger and looked like a rear seat instead of a grocery shelf. Silver Cloud is what it was though.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
These TSM Models really do look good in quality while your photographs show us this in 1/43 scale version of the real Rolls Royce Drophead coupe is excellent.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Thanks for showing this car. In the Mid to Late 1960's I had a buddy who's aunt had one exactly the same as this car. 2 door convertible and it was so nice to ride in. Most time his Aunt would drive us to where we wanted to go. He also had access to a Sunbeam Tiger, same as the Alpine but with a V-8 engine. 283 or 289, can remember ford or chevy power train. He did get to use the Rolls every now and then and that is how I found out just how much power these Rolls Royce's actually had. It was fast and impressive in the ride. The Sunbeam Tiger was much faster by the way, as you would expect but a hard bumpy ride.

I guess the only thing I can't remember is the rear seat. Seems to me it was larger and looked like a rear seat instead of a grocery shelf. Silver Cloud is what it was though.

Thanks for your reply Jim.

There are several types of RR Silver Clouds DHC (and Bentley equivalents)

H.J. Mulliner design, which was an adaptation of a standard steel 4 door saloon body. It has proper seats at the back (4/5 seater). This here a Silver Cloud I, but there are also Cloud II and III versions.

The next is a different body style by Mulliner, also a 4/5 seater.

And a four door  version by Mulliner:

Next to the (2 seater) cream car, James Young also produced a 4/5 seater model both Rolls Royce and Bentley, here the latter:

Any DHC Silver Cloud is a rare item and now very expensive. Mulliner built the largest number, James Young only very few. Other coachbuilders did DHC's as well but their body styles were way different.

TSM also made a DHC Silver Cloud 4/5 seater, it is in my collection:

Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
It was a RR not a Bentley, I know that for sure. It looked mostly like the silver one with red interior but hers was Tan interior and White exterior with Tan Top and lots of wood on the dash and doors. Late 1950's like 1959 or early 1960's maybe 1963 latest as they took over a year to build and it was a year waiting list if I remember right from back then. I was about 16 or 17 when riding in it so 1965 or 1966.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Jim, if the Sunbeam Tiger had a Chev engine that would be called a "Hot Rod".  

Tiger came with 260 Ford in the first year and 289 thereafter.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Thanks, I could not remember as it was so long ago. I knew it was one or the other but it just would not come to mind.Saying that, I have been in one that was a hot rod. Engine was a 327. That car could not keep tires on it and he had 100 lbs of lead in the truck to keep it on the road.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
A lovely looking model of among the worlds exquisite cars! Thanks for showing!

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
WOW! Stunning cars and models.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Every time I see your stunning models, it makes me wish I collected that type of cars. Bentley and RR really represent the finest craftsmanship and elegance, and when this is carried over into the miniature models, the results are simply awesome.

Unfortunately we can't collect everything

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I know it sounds silly, but so many Rolls-Royce cars were designed, developed and then manufactured within given budgets, they did a pretty good job overall. So many of their cars have been regarded as the most beautiful cars ever created and when this filters down into collectors miniatures, we can thank Rolls-Royce and their coachbuilders for making them in the first place and the tool makers within the various model companies for their skills on the finished models.

Rollerman.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
There were a few 4 Saloons converted to 2 door soft tops including a firm here in Australia.

Standard Saloons were at one stage reasonably affordable so lent themselves to conversions.

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
A small quiz, who was the coach builder of this DHC design:

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
H.J. Mulliner?

Re: James Young DHC Silver Cloud 4 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your reply Andy.

I'll wait an see if more guesses come in, and I will reveal the truth next Monday.
  • Page: