1/43 from New Ray
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 1/43 from New Ray

1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
The description of "New Finds" says where you can boast about your new purchases, well I am not sure I want to boast too much about these they are not the best models available. They are however American cars of the 50s and 60s so fall into my catagory.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Big W have them cheap enough to make them attractive

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
58 Buick Century

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #4

I rather like the Roadmaster. I can see why they are not your favorites, there are some details that could be better. From a toy standpoint instead of a model replica standpoint, I think they are above average. All in the way you look at them I'd think.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I guess thats right, they are only cheap and are meant for a certain market (victims like me )

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #6

pix

Gold Boarder
Now here's a thought to ponder.  Early models were produced as toys rather than collectors' models.  These toys command prices far in excess of what they were originally sold for.  Therefore should we be buying at the cheap end of the market as an investment for the future.  A £5 toy needs to rise only to £10 to realise 100% profit.  Can the higher priced collectors' models match this profit margin within the same time frame?

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I certainly wouldn't dismiss these models as 'mere junk' - true, they may not be state of the art, but they're certainly good enough for 'casual display' - some models are great for 'close inspection', admiring the tiny details you've (most likely) paid a fortune for - others serve a different, but also very important, purpose, that is to show what models, body-styles, versions were available from different car makers in different eras.

Just imagine, if everything we bought had to be superb quality high-end models? It would take ages to collect enough models to fill the 2nd purpose mentioned above.

Another thing is, that we shouldn't forget, that the vintage collectables of today all started as 'toys', yet we certainly appreciate them today. Think of early Dinky/Corgi... no windows, no interior, no nothing, just a cast shell with wheels. And then, when interiors did come along, the detail levels were often downright pitiful (a single piece of plastic, very crudely made). Compared to these early models, your New Ray are genuine pieces of art.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
New Ray cars, I found them about 5 or maybe 6 or more years ago at the local Dollar store. $2.00 each so I bought the ones I liked at the time. They did come into the store from time to time and I have all the boxes for them. They are all mint in mint boxes and are put away. They sold at a regular price of $6.00 everywhere else I saw them so I have made a good profit so far. If they sold as you say for £10 then I have made a really good score.

I do agree with you on the detail factor and these were made as collectables not toys so....judge for your selves as I will put up here what I have.

New Ray 1931 Mercedes SSKL and it is not coming in right.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Okay, I have uploaded my New Ray Cars to a gallery called New Ray
Toys. Lets try this again. They should all have titles but not sure if
they show when you hover. Lets see.

New Ray 1952 Mercedes 300SL Spider

New Ray 1957 300SL Roadster

New Ray 1955 Mercedes 300S

New Ray XKE

New Ray 1931 Mercedes SSKL

New Ray 1937 Mercedes-Benz w 125, Silbepfeil

New Ray Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1600cc

New Ray 1938 Alfa  Romeo 8c 2900

New Ray Jag SS100
I have a couple other like the Jag XK120 that did not upload right.

This is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Wow, that was easy.
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
This latest lot were $3.99. I looked at them first because, while maybe lacking a bit, some of the 50s moulds are not done by other manufacturers unless you want to pay megabucks

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #11

There was a mad rush in the early 90s to stockpile Hot Wheels cars here with the someday they will be worth a fortune mindset. I think this will backfire. Everyone dreams of finding that time machine back to the past and stockpiling toys/sports cards/comic books with the idea of selling them on for a profit. I'm more of a "my kids and grandkids will be thrilled to play with these/have these toys that their father/grandpa had way back then. If I have grand daughters? Well, maybe they'll have boys. The point being, I'm not in it for a profit, I'm in it for the future. One of my son's is showing some interest in them, so at least I know they'll be around for another generation.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I agree with that sentiment but I do have a problem in that I have no children to pass them on to (could never work out what caused them) so my collection is things that I like with no real eye on the future fate of them.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #13

I finally figured out what causes them, and have taken steps to prevent anymore of them for the foreseeable future. I used to think that they were a bit of a bother, having them under foot actually caused me to call my father and apologize for every time I tired to help when I was a child, and I wouldn't trade a minute of them. I'm waiting for grandkids so I can fill them full of sugar and send them home to their parents, just like my parents do to me.

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
LOL, got to like the revenge sugar brings on when it comes to kids. Juice them up and then send them home, preferably with a new noisy Toy. Sirens usually work well to annoy. LOL

Re: 1/43 from New Ray 9 years, 3 months ago #15

pix

Gold Boarder
When my great-granddaughter (2.5 years) comes to see me I have to hide any models that are not in boxes because she thinks she's found a new toy.  The Pentax E90 camera that I was using before Christmas is now hers.  When I asked her how it became hers she replied "Well, you did tell mummy that althought it took good pictures you didn't like it.  I like it a lot."