Hooper Phantom III
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hooper Phantom III

Hooper Phantom III 4 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Bought this 1/43 1938 Rolls Royce Phantom III Sedanca de Ville by Hooper, chassis #3CP200 today, the model is by Ilario, a brand of high quality examples.

The original owner of 3CP200 was of the ’30s media genre, bon vivant Captain Alastair W. Mackintosh, who was married to a Hollywood film star, Constance Talmadge. Well-known in both London and Palm Beach. Life magazine featured the couple in a two-page photo-essay in the March 20, 1939 issue.

In 1940 or 1941, Captain Mackintosh sold the car to Mary Bruce, a race car and speed boat driver, an aviatrix, and a multi-millionaire businesswoman. She owned the car until the late-1970s, when she sold it to I. I. Gordon, in England. The next owner was Frank Dale, a well-known Rolls-Royce and Bentley dealer who bought the Phantom III for his personal use. Next it was part of a large car collection in Dubai and there after was sold by Sotheby's in 2013 for USD 113.000.
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Hooper Phantom III 4 years, 10 months ago #2

Good score Gerrit, did you collect it today at the Namac?

Re: Hooper Phantom III 4 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Good score Gerrit, did you collect it today at the Namac?

Yes I did, bought it from Modelcars Rotterdam, it was sold at a huge discount, otherwise I would not have taken it.

I met our German friend, the dentist, he showed me pictures of his collection. Unbelievable really, what that man has collected over many years, including numerous walls full of paintings and 900 books on his subject. The picture I sent him is also on the wall. I am pretty sure he has the biggest collection of pre war Auto Union race cars ever - plus a truck load of all kinds of front engined racers from the early 1900's upto the late fifties.

I gave him a set of some 20 paintings in A4 format as well as a disk with a further 130 copies of paintings. He was quite pleased with that of course. You know what, I am gonna visit him in Cologne in due course, he was so kind to give me an invitation. He has a slot racing track at home so we will do a race together.

It appeared we share a lot of slot race friends from Germany and elsewhere , which I met when I was still actively slot racing in Europe.

Amazing guy.
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Ecclesley.
  • Page: