Just arrived...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just arrived...

Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #1

24c

Fresh Boarder
This 1/24 scale ambulance was produced before WW2 by the French toy maker, A.R. (Autajon & Roustan) in Paris. The chassis is made of pressed and painted tinplate, while the body is part tin, part die cast lead. It has a windup motor also used on some of the 1/43 scale models of the company and one autogyro aircraft.
It is part of a scarce series partly produced by the Migault toy company in Briare, that made the Citroen toys and became CIJ.

The ambulance was issued in 1939 and was available in at least two color schemes, gray or beige, and possibly a third in military green.

The war ended all production by this very interesting company in 1941.
A.R. came back after WW2 and produced small toy trucks and farm implements until 1955.
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by 24c.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, blackstone

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #2

That is a fantastic find. I have never seen this brand. Thanks for sharing

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Yes, Thanks for sharing and welcome to Planet Diecast from BC Canada. We like to see new and wonderful finds like this. Nice to see that you have some knowledge on this subject.

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #4

Jim is right,
A warm welcome from The Netherlands. Please show us some photos of your collection please

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Also a warm welcome from Belgium.

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #6

24c

Fresh Boarder
Gentlemen, thanks! I have been an avid collector for nearly 50 years, and I am still young in the mind... if not the body! I have accumulated quite a collection, but I am also very selective and prefer the ones that appeal to me because of their "flavor". 
Here are a few more of these AR trucks, patterned after a Delahaye. First, this amazing crane, the crane is cast in lead and survivors are rather rare because of its fragility. The cabin is painted tin, while the engine and front-end are cast in lead, over a tinplate chassis.:

Took me quite a while and a few frustration to get this one but I am real happy to have found a good example.

The chassis also receives a windup spring motor:

Another and actually the rarer model is this one carrying... what else from France, WINE!
Unfortunately, not mine yet...

And then, the other ambulance I just obtained from an auction in December. It came with two poor wounded warriors who need urgent help! Note that the tin "roof" over the driver is simply the same as the seat on which he rests... 

Last, the most common of the AR tin & lead trucks, the military model with this impressive large caliber gun, of which support and barrel are cast in lead:

But there is a much rarer version, one that i was also able to acquire last month, a more sophisticated version with gear-driven adjustments of the gun's aiming, likely issued in 1941. I was not aware of its existence (and I am sure very few very knowledgeable collectors were...) until it surfaced at the same auction:

A.R. also produced several 1/24 scale cars on the same platform, all variations of the same body. The original one was all tin, body and chassis and one-piece painted lead wheels, flywheel powered, and a "promo" toy for the 1936 Peugeot 201-301: 

All in all, quite scarce toys, but they are out there.
Much more common and inexpensive are the dozens of 1/50-scale Peugeot "301" trucks by the same company, but they will be the subject of other posts...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, GunnerJim, RVREVO, RoutemasterNL

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Excellent thread Mr 24c. I am into tin and found this very interesting and have to agree that this is a very little known company. We get so used to tinplate made in Japan during the 1950's and 60's, but in reality, nearly all toy companies around the civilized World only had access to such crude materials such as tin (actually this is not tin at all, it's thin sheet steel, Tin is naturally springy and why it is so useful as springs), but we are all used to saying Tinplate toy cars so we don't need to change it.

I look forward to your next installment.

Rollerman.

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks for the photos, not seen these before and are very interesting! Welcome to the forum too.

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to you. Thanks for placing those fantastic pictures.

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Thank you 24c for sharing these wonderful toys from the past, produced by AR. Autagon Roustan made in Paris, France, that were based on the Delahaye vehicles of the day. Pre WW2 toys made from lead alloy diecast and pressed tin are astounding to see these photos from some of your collection that you have gathered together over past 50 years. Again many thanks for sharing and improving my knowledge about these toys that I did not know existed.

Cheers from Australia.

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
and a gidday from New Zealand

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Wonderfull toys ; thank you for sharing !!

Re: Just arrived... 4 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Just repeating what the others said, but those are truly lovely. And welcome from central Canada (Ontario)
  • Page: