Royal limousine
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Royal limousine

Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
When still a princess, the future queen Elisabeth II of Great Britain decided that Daimler would no longer be the preferred purveyor of Royal State Limousines. In stead she chose Rolls Royce. There are probably two reasons for this change:

A. Princess Elisabeth was a car mechanic during WW II, contributing to the war effort by working on army Land Rovers (edit: army vehicles) . Therefore she might have had a knowledgable preference for the inherent quality of the double R.

B. Daimler was entangled in scandals relating to the shameful behaviour of Lady Docker, the wife of Daimler's managing director.

Two Rolls Royce Phantom IV motorcars entered the Royal Mews, they had the nicknames: Nabha and Jubilee. Later in 1960 two high roofed Phantom V's were added, nicknamed Canberra I and II. The name Canberra was chosen to mislead the nosy press, pretending these car were destined for the antipodes.

Four Rolls Royce motorcars were not enough apparently so later on two Phantom VI models completed the sextet of limousines. One a high roofed car nicknamed Oil Barrel, pretending it was destined for the Middle East; the other with a normal roof, called Lady Norfolk.

Most of these cars are now pensioned off and displayed at Sandringham Castle, as the queen is now conveyed in Bentley State limousines.

The 1/43 model I bought is by True Scale Models and is one of the Canberra Phantom V's.

When the queen is succeeded by her heir presumptive, the question is what will his choice be when it comes down to State motorcars. My guess: Rolls Royce.

The heir presumptive:

Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #2

I like the car better than the presumtive heir

Were the Royal Guards part of the TSM Canberra?

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
I like the car better than the presumtive heir

Were the Royal Guards part of the TSM Canberra?

The guards have defected from the Triang Spot On army to the TSM barracks.

By the way the title heir presumpitive means that he can be replaced, in this case by his eldest son, the heir apparent.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
Princess Elizabeth could not have worked on army Land Rovers during the war, as they were not introduced until 1948. Rolls Royce engines were not used in British military vehicles until well after the war had ended, when the B40, B60 and B80 units were introduced to power vehicles from the Austin Champ, through Humbers etc. to the Alvis Saracen/Saladin and Stalwart. Land Rovers didn't have R-R engines, so she wouldn't have become familiar with R-R that way. I may be wrong, but I think the Docker scandal came after the Royal Household had adopted Rolls Royce over Daimler - possibly due to anti-German sentiment, Daimler being originally a German company.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
33 Series 1 Land Rovers were fitted with a Rolls-Royce B40/2B in 1949 as part of an initiative to standardise a range of engines across British Military vehicles. This was not fully implemented and the project was not done by Rolls-Royce themselves.

Rollerman.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
Rollerman, I bow to your superior knowledge on that point !

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I know it is off topic but Princess Elizabeth was mentioned so I looked into it. Here are a few tidbits.

Quick quote from the Official Land Rover Site/Our Story.
"The year is 1947. A man sketches the silhouette of a car in the sand of a Welsh beach. That car is the Land Rover. Tough, intrepid, it goes on to change history, mastering all manner of terrain and capturing hearts around the world."
Link: www.landroverusa.com/our-story/index.html

Watch the short video, History of Land Rover by the originators youngest son.

She learned to change a wheel, take apart and put back together engines, as well as drive ambulances and other military trucks.

www.allday.com/queen-elizabeth-was-a-bad...d-wa-2180807765.html
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Daimler had been supplying cars to the Royal Family for many Years under their 'Royal Warrant' status until the Duke of Edinburgh in 1948, was allowed to test an experimental car Rolls-Royce was working on as a replacement for the Phantom III.

A Bentley Mk V chassis fitted with a bored-out 6.3 liter straight eight engine had shown that a big car built on a traditional chassis could be made to go fast and keep a certain amount of very acceptable comfort. The Duke took this car to Heart and while we have no official record of any conversation between the Duke and Rolls-Royce regards this car, it was fully developed into a new model with the sole purpose of satisfying the Lord Chamberlain's Office in the hope of also obtaining the Royal Warrant to supply cars to the British Royal Family and Heads of State around the World.

The rest as they say, is History.

Rollerman.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY wrote:
Princess Elizabeth could not have worked on army Land Rovers during the war, as they were not introduced until 1948. Rolls Royce engines were not used in British military vehicles until well after the war had ended, when the B40, B60 and B80 units were introduced to power vehicles from the Austin Champ, through Humbers etc. to the Alvis Saracen/Saladin and Stalwart. Land Rovers didn't have R-R engines, so she wouldn't have become familiar with R-R that way. I may be wrong, but I think the Docker scandal came after the Royal Household had adopted Rolls Royce over Daimler - possibly due to anti-German sentiment, Daimler being originally a German company.

Clearly I am not a Land Rover historian. The reason I wrote this was because during a safari in Kenya early 1952, one of the Land Rovers broke down due to overheating. Princess Elisabeth jumped from her Land Rover vehicle and gave the people driving that overheating car a lecture on how to deal with it. I saw that in a movie and therefore I suggested she had knowledge about Land Rovers, but probably gotten after the war, I must add.

I want to make clear that I never suggested Land Rovers were related to Rolls Royce in anyway, although after the war there have been talks between Rover and Rolls Royce to enter into a merger. They were already working together on airplane jet engines. Further what Rollerman added.

The preference of the princess on Rolls Royce cars, initiated by her husband, Phil the Greek, who drove the Scalded Cat Bentley MKV, as related by Kevin Rollerman, could possilbly have been influenced by her knowledge of cars. That is why I said it was one of the probable reasons, not any reason related to Rover.

It is true that the grove Docker scandals were after the war. But the extravagant taste of Lady Docker, as displayed a.o. by the 1951 Golden Daimler (Elisabeth became queen in 1952) and the fact that she was a night club dancer in her younger years, been divorced twice, always trying to create an atmosphere of utter publicity, and lastly married to Bernard Docker, the boss of BSA (Daimler included), was regarded as somewhat disturbing to her Majesty. Daimler, who held the royal warrant, kept trying to hold and/or regain its place in the Royal Mews, but to no avail, which I think has nothing to do with its German origins, but probably to the exploits of the Dockers. Even after Rolls Royce entered the Mews, ERII used the Daimlers, left by her father George VI, on several official occasions, but were soon discarded.

The Queen in a Daimler:

When the Daimlers were #1 in the Mews, the British Royal family had already adopted the name House of Windsor in 1917 to replace the originally (German) name of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, for obvious reasons. If German born cars like Daimler would have been rejected, it would have been done by George V there and then.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
for practical reasons and everyday chores QE2 would use her trusty Rover.
however for Royal Duties it is very fitting for the modern monarchy to have the Rolls-Royce fleet.

Although I am not sure if she would ever be allowed to use a Cadillac Escalade by the government... that would send all the wrong messages.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Ya, specially now that the Trump effect has hit the USA.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:

The Queen does not mind sitting in a Cadillac, she has been conveyed in several ones, a.o. during her visit to Canada.

By the way the so called Trump effect I saw, was that Democrat party supporters were rioting everwhere, hitting journalists, demolishing Starbuck shops etc. Such bad losers. They should have protested (decently) before the elections, not after, now it is too late. I always believed that the Democrats were a political  party, it seems they are more like a lunatic asylum. A pity for them that a democracy does not have an On/Off switch so that you can switch off what you do not like.  I wonder who could be against a president who wants to wipe certain terrorism from this earth. Or is that too much to ask.

Well let's see over time what will happen before drawing final conclusions.

Well in any case prime minister Mrs. May of Great Britain will be the first to visit the Donald to discuss trade agreements between them. Good old friends, the US of A and Brexit Britain. I am sure the Queen would approve.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Good to see Betty Windsor likes to ride in a Caddy on some occasions.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
modern day bullet and bomb proof Cadillac Escalade is an SUV. usually reserved for high officials like POTUS

Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Royal limousine 4 years, 10 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Ecclesley wrote:
Nobleco wrote:

By the way the so called Trump effect I saw, was that Democrat party supporters were rioting everwhere, hitting journalists, demolishing Starbuck shops etc. Such bad losers. They should have protested (decently) before the elections, not after, now it is too late. I always believed that the Democrats were a political  party, it seems they are more like a lunatic asylum. A pity for them that a democracy does not have an On/Off switch so that you can switch off what you do not like.  I wonder who could be against a president who wants to wipe certain terrorism from this earth. Or is that too much to ask.

Well let's see over time what will happen before drawing final conclusions.

I guess it depends on when you were watching. On Saturday over 600 cities world wide had peaceful protest marches, mostly women, that were marching for Human and women's rights. They are afraid that Trump will start taking them away. No help for women's health services and the LGBTQ community will have their right taken away and that is only part of it.

During the primaries, Republicans did way more violent protests than were out front of Trumps venu's. The professional protesters, all dressed in black and carrying back packs and wearing face masks, you can't miss them if you look. They instigate the crowd that then becomes unmanagable and the riot police take over.

On Saturday, over 1 million people (estimates) were in Washington and there were no arrests at all. It was totally peaceful. Try that at any other rally, Clinton or Trump. All over the planet they protested from London to Bejing to Melbourne to Seattle and Vancouver and Toronto. 600 cities is a big protest.
I have followed that election for over 18 months and most of the protests were against Hillary Clinton by Republicans. There were protests at Trump rallies but they were smaller and yes, they were more violent as Trump supporters attached Clinton supporters who were protesting against Trumps backward retoric. He does nothing but lie and twist the truth. He is a Bully, Racist and a bigot.

My Humble Opinion given, wither you like it or not, the USA and the rest of the planet are in trouble.

Did you see the parties going on in Moscow after he was elected and during his Inauguration? They even have nesting Trump family dolls like the Russians and I think the Ukrainians make. Putin is in heaven now that Trump is in power. How long he is there is the question. Too many conflicts of interest if you ask me.
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.
  • Page: