My additions of 2016 (6)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: My additions of 2016 (6)

My additions of 2016 (6) 4 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Back to Bentley, and my first and second contributions, in which R Type and S1 Continental models were shown. The success of these speedy luxurious cars grew with the S1 introduction and that gave coach builder H.J. Mulliner the idea of making a 4 door saloon as well. Initially Rolls Royce management did not want this to happen, that was not their idea of the sporty Continental Bentley, but gave in later on. So Mulliner but also Hooper and James Young produced a brace of very fine 4 door saloons. Here we have four 1/43 H.J. Mulliner Bentley Continental  Flying Spur models, issued by Minichamps. This is the so called four light version. In reality six light versions were also available.

By the way the name Flying Spur was used by H.J.M. only and was derived from the family arms of their managing director.

The real deal four light version:

And six light version:

The Flying Spur mascot of H.J. Mulliner's managing director Mr. Johnstone:

The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: My additions of 2016 (6) 4 years, 11 months ago #2

Was this mascot also used on the grille?

Re: My additions of 2016 (6) 4 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Was this mascot also used on the grille?

Yes it was, but only on Mr. Johnstone's car.

Here the coat of arms of the Johnstone clan, a winged spur:

Mulliner also got a special request from an American called van Gerbig to produce two six light models looking like a four light.

Mulliner obliged but when the cars were ready Mr. van Gerbig declined,  and bought another Bentley model. They do exist but these cars as rare as hen's teeth. Here a 3D model.

Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
  • Page: