My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More!

My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More! 12 years, 10 months ago #1

Administrator
Went to the bootsale today to sell stuff (for the first time ever!) It went very well indeed and we got rid of a load of stuff.

Needless to say, we came home with some new stuff too, though!
Here they all are together...

And some individual shots...

First up, this tinplate Minic Bus was a surprise find!

So was this nice pre-Corgi Mettoy Rolls Royce with excellent paint!

A pair of Dinky Minis. I didn\'t take a \"Before\" pic of the Clubman, but someone had added black marker stripes to it and used the same pen to \"tint\" the windows. It\'s screwed together, luckily, so it came apart without drilling and acetone-free nail polish remover took care of the stripes. A quick soak in the oven cleaner did the same for the pen on the windows and it went straight back together. It ain\'t quite mint but it was only £1.00 and it\'s the earlier version with jewelled headlights.

The Mini Cooper Police was also £1.00, and has been spattered with black paint. This is also coming off nicely with acetone-free polish remover, but it\'s a little trickier as the car won\'t come apart (it\'s a riveted one), so I\'m about half way done!

I couldn\'t leave this VERY near mint Corgi Juniors Rescue Range Rover. It has shiny paint, perfect stickers and just a couple of teeny tiny chips and it was still thrown in a dump bin of junk cars!

And lastly, I found another one of the Corgi Juniors / Hot Wheels crossover cars, the Porsche 911. This is the Corgi casting fitted with Hot Wheels wheels and was produced by Mattel during the brief period when they owned Corgi in the 1990s.

Re:My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More! 12 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I like the two tin vehicles. Is the bus a routemaster? The paint on the Rolls is fantastic for its age.  The police mini is a nice model. I have 2 here to do and code 3\'d one a year or so ago as a Canadian RCMP Mini. They don\'t use mini\'s over here. The Porsche looks really good with those wheels on it. Even if they are Hotwheels.
All very nice toys for your first boot sale finds. I can\'t find toys like that here and when I do find some they are way over priced. Oh well, I keep looking.

Re:My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More! 12 years, 10 months ago #3

Administrator
Hi Jim
The bus is a Routemaster. I did a little research and apparently Minic made this both pre and post war, but this is a post-war example. The Rolls is actually diecast, not tinplate. It\'s #505 in the Mettoy Motors range, which was the diecast range they made before they started Corgi. It was available in two sizes, this is the smaller one. It\'s a shame it\'s missing the two bumper corners, and surprising, given how good the paint is. It looks to have been barely played with. One interesting thing to note is that the same bumper moulding is used on front and rear!

I\'m really liking this mini-series of Corgi-Juniors-as-Hot-Wheels Cars. I just bought the Jaguar XJ40 and Ford Mustang 5.0 from someone on another board and I have the Ferrari Testarossa somewhere already. They all look really good with nice colour choices and tampos and the Hot Wheels wheels really suit them - oddly, even the wheels which look awful on some HW models look good on them!

Re:My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More! 12 years, 10 months ago #4

It\'s rather sad that Hot Wheels have gone to the big rim skinny tire that they are using on so many of their new releases. The redline/blackwall era is much more to my liking. The Routemaster is an excellent find, and you can\'t beat the price.

Re:My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More! 12 years, 10 months ago #5

Administrator
For me, nothing beats the blackwalls! That was what Hot Wheels used to ride on when I was a kid in the 80\'s. That said, the 5-spoke they have now is pretty nice and the skinny-tyre-on-wide rim look is quite prevalent on a lot of modern performance cars and resto-rods. I\'d much rather see all their 60\'s cars without the skinny tyres, tho, but I can live with \'em. Although they\'re not a patch on the new Matchbox wheels.

What I could really, really, REALLY do without are the godawful tampos and hideous window-tint-colours they use. No, Hot Wheels, I do not want to collect cars with pirate/clown/baloon logos down the side and bright neon-orange-tinted windows!

Re:My Bootsale Finds 7/12 Dinky Minic, Mettoy & More! 12 years, 10 months ago #6

I couldn\'t agree more. Thankfully, the new relaeses are mostly without the goofy tampos. Lots of flames on the hot rods, or primer paint. I grew up in the redline era, and have a good sized collection of blackwalls, the steering rigs and truck castings for the most part. If I can, I replace the orange/red and gold windows with clear styrene, but most of the new release castings I buy for customs, so the windows are not that big of a deal.
  • Page: