Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white)

Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This one has been on my wishlist for a very, very long time, but very few are offered for sale, even here in Denmark, where it was made.

I remember these ambulances from my childhood - there are several different versions in various liveries, including some swedish. By far the most common variant is the red and black one from "Københavns Brandvæsen" (Copenhagen Fire Department), this was also the first one I added to my collection. An all-white variant ("Red Cross") is slightly less common, but it to has joined my collection quite some time ago.

An all-red version is also rather uncommon, but I don't remember that one too well from my childhood, so it was never high on my wishlist, but 2 others were... an all-black version ("Falck") and a black/white one (also Falck) - it was the latter of the two that I've just found today in near mint condition.

The seller also had the all-black version (same price), but with slightly more playwear - what made me decide, though, was not the condition, but the fact that the black/white one was the late version with blue roof beacon. The old versions had yellow flags instead, but the ones sold in the late 60s (my prime Tekno-period) had the beacons, so I really wanted one of those - and the two already in my collection were both of the earlier type.

I still hope to add the all-black one day, but couldn't afford to get both now. Maybe even the red one will be added some time in the future.

Photos are from the auction

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #2

It looks in pristine condition and again it is a car I have not seen before in this specific livery.
All parts look indeed original to me.
You did well Thomas.
I hope it arrives safely and that we can see some photos when received

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Nice model TB! Uncommon combination for me, an older type Mercedes ambulance. Also black and white is not common for an ambulance, is it? I see the model is closed with a screw in the rear, but what about the front, because there is a hole there.

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Nice looking Ambulance and it seems to be in great condition. NIce for you to find something you have been looking for for such a long time too.

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Here are my two other variants, as you can see they're both of the earlier type without roof beacons. The red/black one is generally in slightly better condition than the white one, but the latter still has the yellow flag that preceeded the roof beacons.

As Keesie observes, they are held together by just one screw in the back, so what about the front? Well, notice the air intakes on each side of the grille... I took the red one apart in order to show what's inside.

The photo above shows the car in as many pieces as possible without drilling out rivets. In other words: the rear bumper is easy to replace in case of damage, but the front bumper/grille is not - same goes for the window unit and suspension. Speaking of suspension:

As you can see, the air intakes are part of the weird suspension unit - never seen anything like it. They lock into the body.

The model has no interior as such, only a bench front seat and a metal steering wheel.

The window unit is riveted in place and the rear part is 'frosted', which was quite fortunate for Tekno since it meant that they didn't have to bother with the rest of the interior.

The tab at the front locks under the bonnet, while the rear screw keeps the upper and lower body parts tightly together... so tightly, that there is often paint damage where the two parts join, as you can also see on mine.

Also notice the tabs under the windows at the front, preventing the top from sliding sideways.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for all those nice pictures TB, I like that!

About the way the air intakes are done: I see there is a separate transparant plastic frame going over all the wheels, rivited to the base in the rear and front. The front of the frame clicks into the upper frame, so the air intakes can be seen as clear plastic, right? Why does this make me think it is trans-o-lite? If not, it is certainly a unique way of holding the model together.

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #7

Good description of the dismantling process. I restored a white ambulance some time ago. Had to buy a repro flag, that was missing then

Re: Tekno #732-4 - Mercedes 220 SE ambulance (black/white) 5 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
When I saw those transparent plastic thingies inside, I immediately thought of trans-o-lite as well, but it doesn't make sense (and it doesn't work either) - I even tried placing a flashlight directly in front of the air intakes to see what happened... nothing was visible from the outside, but when looking into the 'cockpit' you could just make out a faint 'stripe' of light on the floor, so I'm quite confident it's not supposed to be a working feature.

Theo, did your repro flag fit? The reason I ask is because the flag-holes are different sizes on the red/black vs the white! The flag does not fit on the red/black one, quite strange really, since the castings are otherwise exactly the same. On the white one, the flag is quite loose and wobbly, so there's a significant difference in hole sizes.
  • Page: