Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64)

Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
if ever there is a rare set to collect its one I glanced in a book and wondered if it was still around. Did not set out to buy it. But it was such a great opportunity for something unique.

Richard K

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Hi Richard, it is indeed a fairly unique set. The books state that only 23.000 were made, but there was no special occasion. The set is sold here and there, and wierdly enough the average price would be between 150-200 pounds. Although that is a lot of money, it is not so much as some other rare sets, of which more are produced. This is partly because the gold on the models Corgi did was never of a quality to last, and even when not played with, the chrome/gold/silver came off in those days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
A very interesting set. Never seen even a picture of one until now. Nice score for your collection
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Keesie wrote:
Hi Richard, it is indeed a fairly unique set. The books state that only 23.000 were made, but there was no special occasion. The set is sold here and there, and wierdly enough the average price would be between 150-200 pounds. Although that is a lot of money, it is not so much as some other rare sets, of which more are produced. This is partly because the gold on the models Corgi did was never of a quality to last, and even when not played with, the chrome/gold/silver came off in those days.

yes keesie, only showing the good side.

these cars have corrosive damage on the left.

got it for £275 which i think was fair enough.

there are a couple more sets on ebay, but the boxes are repro.

i thought the chrome models will fit well with my yesteryear chromies

richard k

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
heya tick, there is a corgi book that came out this year that had a small photo of the set. thats how i usually collect.

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I usually learn of new items by browsing ebay and this forum

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
This is a very nice set, were some gold plated sets made for Marks & Spencer's (St.Michael's)?

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Andy66 wrote:
This is a very nice set, were some gold plated sets made for Marks & Spencer's (St.Michael's)?

where did you read that?

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Not sure but I must have read it as I would not have asked the question.
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Andy66 wrote:

A series of plated models were made for that store under the 'Trophy' name and included an Austin Healy, MG 'A' and Vanwall Grand Prix car. These were taken from the standard range of models with no additional detailing.

This would have been around the late 1950'.

Rollerman.

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Rollerman, I know that I had read something regarding plated models & the store for some reason I thought it was corgi.... any pictures of this set anyone?

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Hi Andy.

I believe they were sold as single models, because each one was mounted on a Black base and packaged in a White and Red St Michael 'Trophy' box, not in a set, so no picture.

There may be a picture of the models in the 'Great book of Corgi' if you have that one.

Rollerman.

Re: Corgi Golden Guinea Gift set GS20 (1961-64) 5 years, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
There are Marks and Spencer store toys under the name of St Michael's in the GBC and the 5 plated models from the Trophy Series but I think that is it.
  • Page: