loads of Corgi and a Lesney
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: loads of Corgi and a Lesney

loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
initially it was about the lesney vauxhall cresta, then saw the others go cheap.

don't know why the corgi remake of their classic oldtimer collections are so unpopular.

i think the landaulet is awesome. its the basil brush car, and the original is blue.

nice projects.

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I agree with you Richard, I don't know why the re-issued Corgi 'Classics' remain unpopular, I see examples at every toy fair and steam rally. nobody seems to be wanting to collect them!

Wow, look at that poor old Blue Silver Shadow, she needs restoring and I hope this is one you will do Richard, yes!

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #3

Good score Richard,
My favorite is the Moko Lesney 22 Vauxhall Cresta with the metal knobbly wheels. It even has its towhook!

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Well done RV. The original Classics series were done starting in 1964, and continued till 1969. The Rolls, T-Ford, Bentley, Daimler, Renault and some varitations to those. Altogether no more than 10. As the bible says producing those classics took far more time and development than most models made after the real cars of those days. All the separate parts were very costly, especially the big open spoked wheels and tyres were a problem.

To find out most of the models did not sell very well, because they were more 'meant for the fathers than for he sons'. I experienced this as well, because I was given the red Daimler with four people in it, by my parents. I remember I didn't know what to do with it, because with the other cars you could race and so. Probably therefore it was still very much intact with all figures, as it is now. Only in later years I began to appreciate it, ending up as one of my fav's.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Took ages to find everything I needed to fully complete the red Daimler to include a box and instructions.
Began with one without a windscreen, then found a restoration gone awry with original box.
It had the peeps.
Then I found a near perfect clean model no box and no ppl.
This one was made complete and the rest sold off.
Took a while to restore an old favorite but as I gathered all the pieces together I had no real emotional attachment to them.

The Corgi classics are a fun sideline and simply scoop them up when the price is a bargain.

As my usual practice with ebay I see something of interest and then have a quick look what else the seller has on offer.

I try to get as much as possible in the box.
It's a gamble.

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
TheRollerman wrote:
I agree with you Richard, I don't know why the re-issued Corgi 'Classics' remain unpopular, I see examples at every toy fair and steam rally. nobody seems to be wanting to collect them!

Wow, look at that poor old Blue Silver Shadow, she needs restoring and I hope this is one you will do Richard, yes!

Rollerman.

Ah yes, the blue roller, how to restore, but perhaps a much nicer color, with nicer wheels. They don't need to come off, but they look so much better.

So, color is to perhaps create a Silver Shadow type color, and I have just the thing.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Just a very rare one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Real beauty

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks, I just counted the parts: 36! 

Most Classics were done in -uncommon for Corgi-   lift-off-lid boxes, and some had a very nice inside diorama. Only a few Daimlers were done in chrome, and a friend of mine has a pre-production model, with a complete roof.

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Wow, pre-production is a good find.

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
RV, I found a picture of that model. It is actually the same red Daimler, bit with a roof. Here it is in the centre of the picture, next to the common open version. Also visable a chromed Yellow Submarine.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: loads of Corgi and a Lesney 5 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Here is my own 'Chrome' 3 Ltr Bentley.

Rollerman.
  • Page: