Schuco BMW Isetta and 507
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Schuco BMW Isetta and 507

Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #1

Fresh Boarder
This is one of the latest additions to my collection. Schuco BMW Isetta and BMW 507 in scale 1/43. The models come in one box, which was released 2005. The models are limited to 1.000 items. More pictures can be found on

www.wagnerpoint.de/frankwagner/galerie/gal_schucobmw.html
Schuco_BMW55_2_500.jpg

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 13 years ago by effwe.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #2

Platinum Boarder
They look like very nice models. Can you give us more pictures of the Isetta. I would love to see the interior and the back end and engine if it opens.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #3

Both of those are nice. I\'d like to see more of the Isetta myself.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Here is another picture of the Schuco Isetta.

Schuco_BMWIsetta_3_500.jpg

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #5

Fresh Boarder
And here the Isetta with open front door.
Schuco_BMWIsetta_4_500.jpg

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #6

Fresh Boarder
To take pictures of the interior is a little bit difficult because the scale is 1/43 and the view through door and roof is very limited. I will try to make interior pictures and post them here.
Schuco_BMWIsetta_5_500.jpg

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #7

Fresh Boarder
The engine is not visible at that model.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #8

Administrator
This is a fantastic set - I just finally found the Hongwell Cararama Isetta with the opening front door, which is now very hard to find. I also have the original 1950\'s model by Quiralu of Isetta Velam, the French-manufactured Isetta. It\'s packed up at the moment, but I will try to find it and take a picture. 
Some more microcars (not very many yet!) are here; https://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=521&func=view&catid=61&id=1464

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #9

Thank you for the extra shots of the Isetta. My father in law had one when I met my wife, way back when, and it was a blast! I wish I had bought it, but hind sight and that 20/20 thing, I missed out.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #10

Fresh Boarder
As there were over 130.000 items of the Isetta built there are still some of them around in Germany. Also there are specialized clubs on the Isetta and some dealers offering spare parts and restoring documentation.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #11

Administrator
There are also various different types of Isetta. The Isetta you have in your set is a BMW Isetta 250. The Isetta was originally designed by the Italian firm Iso (ironically, Iso are best-known for building luxury supercars with huge American V8 engines like the Grifo and Rivolta), and was manufactured in Italy as the Iso Isetta. The Iso Isetta was also assembled in Belgium and Spain. BMW licensed the design from Iso and re-engineered it around one of their own engines. The BMW Isetta 250 looks identical to the early Iso Isetta, except for the headlamps, which are positioned higher although supposedly, the two cars actually have no interchangeable parts). BMW then further redesigned the car as the Isetta 300, which lost the wraparound rear window and separate small front side window in favour of one long window each side with sliding glass.

The original Iso and BMW Isettas had four wheels, with the rear two being very close together. However, the BMW Isetta 300 was then licensed for manufacture in England, where it was built in four and three-wheeler versions, because three-wheelers could be driven on a motorcycle license. British Isettas have the door hinged on the opposite side and were made in Brighton.

There was also the Romi-Isetta, which was made in Brazil, and which looks like the original Iso and BMW 250 Isettas, and the Isetta Velam, which was made in France. The Velam has a completely different body, with only the design concept of a door in the front staying the same, and the Iso engine and a few other bits in common. The Velam is also different in that all other Isettas have a separate chassis, while the Velam just has a subframe at the rear with the engine and back wheels, and the front suspension is bolted directly to the body.

On top of this, there were various different body types, including convertibles made by Iso, a racing version (not quite as mad as it sounds because three Iso Isettas entered the Mille Miglia in 1954. Not only did they all finish, they won the top three places in the economy class!) and there were even pick-up trucks too! There is also a rumour that BMW will revive the name in the next couple of years for a new super-economy car to compete with the Smart Fortwo, although they may spell it iSetta, like iPod. 
The other amazing thing about Isettas are how they can upstage virtually any other car no matter how big, fast, luxurious and expensive it is. This thread is a perfect example, because we have two pages on the Isetta, even though the BMW 507 is also a fabulous and stunningly beautiful car and that\'s a great model of it.

Seeing as my Quiralu Isetta Velam seems to be hiding, here is my (dusty) Matchbox Yesteryear 507;

BMW_507_1.jpg

Last Edit: 13 years ago by Baskingshark.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #12

So many of my die casts are in the same condition, dusty and no dusting in the forseeable future.

Re:Schuco BMW Isetta and 507 13 years ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the extra pictures. Makes it easier to see the detail. I still say nice models and I could see myself driving one of these.
  • Page: