Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962

Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
The first of my 3 recent Tekno purchases, bought back in november. This one was not in my childhood collection, but I remember wanting it back then.

The racing numbers and Union Jacks are probably not original, but appear to have been there for decades. The small chequered stripe on the bootlid is another oddity: the model was available without stripes OR with stripes on bootlid and roof, yet there are no signs of a stripe ever being on the roof here, and the one one the bootlid looks really old, so...

Apart from that, it's really a lovely little model, that oozes classic Tekno quality.

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 9 months ago #2

Another great addition to your collection Tee, the car is in super condition and the windows are very clean too

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
May have carefully pealed off the top stripe long ago?  Some kid liked racing numbers more than stripes!  Is it brownish in color?  or more red?

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
This is a very nice model, the rally deco suits it.

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I just took the model out of the cabinet for a closer inspection... trying to determine the color is not as easy as it sounds, you see

In full, broad, natural daylight it is clearly red, but with any lesser lighting it looks more brownish-maroon.

The funny thing about the rally/racing decals is, that they really look like they've always been there - they have a slightly yellow-ish hue that only comes with decades of (sun)light and the decal edges blend in perfectly with the paint. I'm thinking they may be original Tekno decals from one of their racers, but how they got there, I've no idea. In the beginning I considered removing them, but I've decided to let them stay, mostly because I can't say with 100% certainty that they're not original, and heaven forbid - if one day it was revealed that a few models were made with these decals, and I'd removed them from my car
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I LIKE !!!!!

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Nice example of this MG, also made by Austin as I had the 1100. Does the hood open in this one? It looks like it might from the lines.

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #8

In the second photo, with the rear view, it looks to me as if I can see some slight discouloring where once the checkered stripes were. Don't you think so?
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Don't remember any big 13 on Tekno race cars, but they did use the Union Jack! 

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Yes, that mark could be from decals or stickers that used to be there.

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
MG stands for Morris Garages, so this was a twin carb racer just like the mini cooper.
The ADO16 was under the flag of BMC and there were many brands accumulated under the banner.

Austin, Morris, MG, Riley, Wolseley, and Vandenplas.
Internationally in South Africa it became the Austin Apache, redesigned front and rear which reminded of a Triumph Stag or Toledo. More on that later, I'm on my phone.

The other international variant was the Innocenti. Spain or Italy.

Richard k

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
India was looking into replacing their aging Hindustan Ambassador, the Morris Oxford that is sill being build today.

However, the Morris 11/1300 proved to be a difficult design as its technically a completely different model.

Would India have benefited with the revolutionary model?

Re: Tekno #832 - MG 1100 MkI (ADO16), 1962 5 years, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Would India have benefited with the revolutionary model?

I would have thought not. Until 20 years ago India was VERY isolationist/self sufficient, if it wasn't made in India, they didn't have i. It really was that simple.
When we first came to Goa in '97 all the ferries across the various rivers were more than 100 years old, all machine's /machinery was much the same. Every part that broke or wore out was made anew (mostly still is ) they wouldn't have had the equipment to remake ADO 16 parts, also ground clearance would have been an issue (despite being able to pump up the hydrolytic to raise it.) Our first taxi ride here was in a 195(5 ?) Fiat with so much lost motion on the steering I was amazed he kept it on the road. The newest taxi's were Maruti (Suzuki license built) Omni's
a Suzuki Carry- All / Bedford Rascal, with a bench seat & windows.
The 1300's (whatever badge) were not used as rally cars, I think mainly because they were underpowered/overweight for the 'A' series engine). The BMC works used Mini's then 1800's (Super Land Crab) also grossly underpowered. You needed to approach the corner way too fast, a little twitch of the steering wheel stamp on/ off the brake with the left foot to get it sideways and hope you lost enough speed to scrabble round the corner, hence the land crab soubriquet.
Have fun
Terry
  • Page: