Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952

Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Just got this one today from the same seller who also had the Spot-On Rolls. I'd never seen one before, and since I collect Ford Taunus, I made a bid and won (uncontested) for £9.50 including shipping!

I've tried to find more about it, but not much luck - the only other copy I could locate was sold on Vectis in 2008, this is also where I saw it identified as made by a company named Vogoplastic... never heard of it before, and Google-searches didn't really help either. According to Vectis, the model should be around 1/43th scale and it's not supposed to have windows.

The Qxl-seller guessed it to be a possible promo-model, because of the big Ford-logo on the baseplate, but I have not been able to confirm this.

Unfortunately the front bumper is broken, but apart from that, there doesn't seem to be any flaws and if this model is as scarce as it seem, one can't afford to be picky

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #2

Hej Thomas,
Good see you back online here.
What a stunning car. Never heard of Vogoplastic before.
It sounds a bit eastern europe

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
With only one hit on google, no idea how we can ever find out more about this funny car!  Welcome back to the site.  You brought in a real puzzle!

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I missed this topic, I have never seen this before, great model & boxed wow, well done

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The boxed one is the model sold by Vectis in 2008, not mine, unfortunately

Having recieved the model, it is somewhat larger than I expected, my guess is appr. scale 1/36 like the 'big scale' Corgis of the 1970s.

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
If it's any help, I think you are right about this being a Dealer Promo model. Back in the early 1960's, my friend's father was a Continental Tour driver for a northern English coach company. On on of his trips (probably 1962-3), he bought one of these in a garage whilst refuellling his coach at a garage in West Berlin, although it was moulded in a greyish-blue, quite brittle plastic. I thought that the scale was around 1/32, as this car seemed not out of place with the Airfix kit-cars of the day. Not being familiar at the time with the real Taunus, I could have been mistaken - it was over half a century ago, and I was just a car-crazy 8 or 9 year old.
Kevin.

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Well, I am familiar with this Ford Taunus, albeit the slightly later improved 15M. This was my father's proud first car, bought new in November 1957. Two photos below taken during our summer holiday of 1958, one showing the happy newly automobile family (the stalwart lad near the front wheel being me) and a very good one, made by my elder brother, clearly showing the globe detail in front. Those were the days when you sold a car as soon as rust started eating it. That was in 1962.

I have always loved the beautiful Märklin model:

... however never owned one.
Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, karls

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
janwerner wrote:
(the stalwart lad near the front wheel being me)

Kind regards, Jan

When Jan was still a wee laddie in short trousers.............

I remember this car very well, my parents have lived in the Cologne area for several decades (before I was born). This car was built by Ford Köln, several old relatives of my family worked at the Ford plant and one of them even owned a Weltkugel Taunus and came to visit us (must have been early 60's) with this car, when we had moved to Holland.

They must have looked at the early 50's Studebaker for the Kugel:

Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Great pictures, these Fords were nicely styled like the MK11 Zodiacs etc.

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I made a photo of the 'Weltkugel' next to a later Taunus from Tekno, to give an impression of the size. Sorry for the slightly blurry foreground, forgot to adjust the camera

The story about the greyish-blue version, bought in Germany is intriguing, in particular because the estimated year of purchase is said to be 1962-63. Back then, the design of the Taunus changed very often. This particular model was only made by Ford from 1952 to 1955, when a facelift changed the grille from horizontal to vertical bars. This design lasted until 1958 when the "Weltkugel" was replaced by the so-called "Seitensterifen Taunus" (meaning "sidestripes") - the reason I say this is 'intriguing' is, that by 1962-63, the "Weltkugel" had already been out of production for several years, and the version with the horizontal bars had been gone since 1955, so I'm thinking, that either the model bought in Germany in 1962-63 was a different, but similar (later) one, which could indicate, that Vogoplastic may have made promo-models for Ford over a longer period, OR the model bought in Germany was part of some old leftover stock. If it was bought at a garage, this may very well have been the case.

The 15M Weltkugel, as shown by Jan, was produced from 1955-58.

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #11

Studying the photos in this topic I just realised why this car is called Weltkugel. What a great car this is!
Thomas, must be a typo: Seitensterifen = Seitenstreifen

Re: Vogoplastic - Ford Taunus 12M (G13) "Weltkugel", 1952 5 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Another interesting find Teebodk that has revealed a lot more than just an old plastic toy has now some real history all thanks to Planet Diecast and its members. Well done and thanks Jan for the old photo of your younger days and you dads car.
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by GunnerJim.
  • Page: