Platinum Boarder
more
playart_4toyotasitaliancars.jpg

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #17

Administrator
That Barracuda is fantastic.

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
I would like to see a better pic of the Opel GT. Great Car, Buddy had one when I was younger.

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #19

Administrator
There are actually 2 baseplate variations of the Opel GT - that one looks like the first version. The first version has the smaller-diameter separate-hubcap wheels and the bumpers are cast into the base. The second version has either the larger diameter separate-hubcap wheels or the later plastic wheels, and the bumpers are a separate plastic moulding sandwiched between the body and the base. 
Here is version 2 with the larger diameter separate-hubcap wheels. Amazingly, this one still has the front bumper corners, which usually break off.

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #20

Expert Boarder
Volvo 244

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #21

Expert Boarder
Baskingshark wrote:
There are actually 2 baseplate variations of the Opel GT - that one looks like the first version. The first version has the smaller-diameter separate-hubcap wheels and the bumpers are cast into the base. The second version has either the larger diameter separate-hubcap wheels or the later plastic wheels, and the bumpers are a separate plastic moulding sandwiched between the body and the base. 
Here is version 2 with the larger diameter separate-hubcap wheels. Amazingly, this one still has the front bumper corners, which usually break off.

Only 2 baseplate versions? Was this casting one of a tiny handful (like Uncle car)to escape the conversion to slab baseplate with increased ride height when the large single moulding speedwheels were introduced? The tiny wheels with petal pattern hubcaps continued on the 2nd baseplate design with chromed plastic insert bumpers as I have one! 

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #22

Administrator
I haven\'t compared them closely and will do, but I think the baseplates on this orange car and on my one with the one-piece plastic wheels are the same, and it\'s likely that your example has the same baseplate and was just fitted with the small diameter wheels to use them up. There is, at the moment, a metallic green AMX on eBay which has the small wheels (the guy has it on for a fairly huge Buy-it-Now price), wheras all the separate-hubcap AMX\'s I\'ve ever seen have had the larger wheels.

Do you have a list of all your Playarts and what colours you have of them by any chance? I just won a nice little lot on eBay (from Ireland of all odd places) including a lime green AMX and green Thunderbird, both with opening bonnets. And I finally posted a Fiat Dino comparison pic over on the thread on HobbyTalk. Commented on your new Politoys Rolls there too - did you say it was missing headlights? Is that the jewels or the actual mouldings?

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #23

Expert Boarder
The 2 Americans selling off huge Playart collections on ebay one by one last year told me in replies to my auction questions that certainly most of the hubcap castings appeared in every colour Playart had, which included white,pink,gray,purple,spectraflame red and the metallics red,blue and green but that these colours in particular were not as widely used as all others so are much harder to find.
I missed the auctions for the white and the grey Fiat Dinos sadly, but i do at least have my white hubcap Celica to represent that colour in the rainbow.My Playart goal is a rainbow of all 25 odd colours used on Fiat Dinos plus at least one example of every casting colour immaterial.And for hubcap issues, one of each wheel/baseplate variation. Still got a long way to go but am just about halfway!
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by SMS88.

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #24

Administrator
I have a metallic pinky-mauve Toyota 2000GT too, although its far from perfect.

There are so many variations, I\'m just buying the ones I like and don\'t have when I see them and can afford them!

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #25

Expert Boarder
I dont know how scarce light metallic purple Playarts are although i do have one, a BMW2002 and have seen more on ebay.Light purple Playarts arent particularly scarce although dark purple over white primer seems common only on Mercedes SLs and htf on the first 7100-47 castings.
I would like to see an online survey of collector´s playart collections to see which castings are most numerous (E type Jag?) and which colours (orange?). Although having been warned that certainly at 1973-79 the policy was to paint everything in each colour in turn then it would be interesting to see if perhaps the 20 biggest Playart collections contain each of the first and most interesting 80 odd castings in at least 10 different colours.
With connections to some big collectors on MCCH perhaps Andrew can design such a survey here on this forum and contact big Playart collectors to persuade them to do it?

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #26

Administrator
As it happens, I\'m actually about to start trying to do a spreadsheet of Playarts to upload to ToyPedia here on the site, in the hope of creating the biggest & best Playart variant database in the world ever. (There\'s a few in there at the moment that I put in as a test to see how best to denote the variants, but which are nowhere near even complete with all the versions of these models that I know exist, so I\'ll be deleting and uploading more compelte versions when I do the others)

We seem to have quite a lot of Playart fans on here, between ourselves, volvomania and amarsden5 - do we all have lists of our Playarts? I will see who I can rustle up from MCCH as well.

IMO, the E-Type is pretty common, but so is the Mercedes SL Coupe and the non-opening-bonnet Lamborghini Miura - and the Mercury Wagon.

Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by Baskingshark.

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
more recent Ebay purchases
_B1gnoFQCWk___KGrHqQOKi_Ew0mBKqoOBMevF53svg___12.jpg

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I saw this when I was a child and poor! now I finally have one!
_B1JHBzQ_mk___KGrHqN__i8E_sHINiT8BMdS4r3cdg___12.jpg

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
missed out on these unfortunately
_B0tbK3__2k___KGrHqR__hgEw5kBW09_BMbcQr6Zqw___3.jpg

Re:more playart 9 years, 11 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
more
_Bc4C0Gg_mk___KGrHqYH_CgEqu_U6SwdBK2d2CbM8w___12.jpg