Chrome SS1 airline
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chrome SS1 airline

Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I bought this 1934 (Jaguar) SS1 Airline made by IXO/Altaya, this obviously the chrome version, which apparently did not sell as well as the cream colored version, and maybe therefore very nicely priced.

This art deco-ish Jaguar one of the finest designs by William Lyons, although personally he was critical about what he had produced. But certainly among my favorites. I will receive the model quite soon and next I will decide what to do with it; chrome not my preferred color. But anyway a welcome addition to the Jaguar stable which is about to be extended even further very soon.............

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #2

I like the lines of the car.
Am I correct that you consider to repaint the car?

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Beautiful lines on this car. Love it.

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Beautiful lines on this car. Love it.

I can only agree Jim. There is something about all Jaguars (up to the sixties) that makes them stand out from other car makes. The long bonnets,  and with this car, the sloping fast back rear; it is very near an E-type of the pre-war era. But also in vogue with the wind cheater/airline art deco style of them days. This car has always been catching my eye like many other Jags from the period.

Although Rolls Royce and Bentley are my main car makes, my love for Jaguars will never die.

By the way SS stands for Swallow Sidecars, that is how William Lyons started his vehicle business, also building coaches for small cars like the Swallow Austin.

Finally the name SS Jaguar was changed to Jaguar because of the bad reputation the name SS carried. 

And yes Theo I think I am going to give it a repaint. The question is which. I have some examples like these:

Or like this grey on a 3,5 ltr Jag.

Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #5

That burgundy is in my opinion the best choice. But for me the hardest challence is to remove the chrome paint, I wonder what you are going to use.

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
That burgundy is in my opinion the best choice. But for me the hardest challence is to remove the chrome paint, I wonder what you are going to use.

Indeed that Burgundy is rather regal.

I don't have any experience regarding stripping chrome paint, do you? Is it any different from "just" paint. Or is it chrome plating?

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I do know that chrome on plastic comes off the same a the paint on plastic. Degreaser for auto engines. The good old Purple lake as kit builders call it. I don't know if this is real plating on metal but would expect so. In that case your best to scuff it and paint over it.

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
ECCLESLEY wrote:
Finally the name SS Jaguar was changed to Jaguar because of the bad reputation the name SS carried.

I know in America and Canada the SS stands for Super Sport. In Europe I was led to believe that it stood for Sport Sedan, but I may be wrong. I did not know about the Swallow Sidecars reference.

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
ECCLESLEY wrote:

I know in America and Canada the SS stands for Super Sport. In Europe I was led to believe that it stood for Sport Sedan, but I may be wrong. I did not know about the Swallow Sidecars reference.

For sure Jim, SS can mean a whole lot of things. But in this instance Swallow Coachbuilding Ltd., originally making sidecars and small car bodies, was merged into SS Cars Ltd., making sports/saloon cars under the name SS Jaguar. SS changed its name to Jaguar in March 1945, for obvious reasons. Almost everybody calls an SS a Jaguar, and I don't blame them, that name really does something for the car.

The vintage car logos very much in the same sphere:

The (Jaguar) SS100 probably the most famous pre-war motorcar produced by them:

Re: Chrome SS1 airline 6 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Yes, that is a popular car and I have it a couple times in my collection too. Would be nice to have one to drive the windy roads here in Southern BC. Thanks for the explanation.
  • Page: