• Page:

TOPIC: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday

My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #1

How about that !

It is a beautiful issue, with the trees made out of resin I think
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
This is another nice model, I gave up my subscription with Atlas as I had no where to keep them, it is a shame as I look at these models & think I wish I had had the space!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Theo if you keep on collecting these large models, you have to find a bigger home for them someday.

Anyway, the model is pretty impressive.

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Very impressive model. One I would like to have in my collection. Just wish I lived closer so postage from Europe would not be so costly.
Theo, do you have and trees in your yard? If not you could always drive to the country side and get a small branch to cut up into a proper load. Coming from a Country and Province that has some of the Best Lumber and Billions of trees, I can not justify resin or plastic trees. Just coat them with clear after drying for about a month in the sun. Other way is to find dry branches under the trees and use them. Must be dry before coating though.

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #5

Good idea Jim,
the storms from, last month made quite a few branches fall down

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
WOW!

I know of Atlas but don't know much. I realize they are reissues (or recasts or copies, or however you want to call them) and I have seen a lot of pictures on forums. But this one is REALLY  impressive with respect to how close it is to the original. Even the box. I find these Atlas model are really nice and I know they use original casts/molds (????) but there often seems to be just a little something "off" that indicates to me that they are not quite the original. Not this one....very impressive 

Does it not indicate somewhere on the box that this is an Atlas edition????

Wonder how many people buys these thinking they are the original. I know Atlas Models are very collectable and can be costly, but if you thought you were buying an original, you could get very upset as these truly represent the original models !!!!! 

Just for comparison here is my original Dinky

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I can see that the grille detail is deeper on the original than on the Atlas Edition. Also, it looks to me that the front windows are taller on the Atlas but that may be an optical illusion.

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Tick wrote:
 I find these Atlas model are really nice and I know they use original casts/molds (????) but there often seems to be just a little something "off" that indicates to me that they are not quite the original. Not this one....very impressive 

Does it not indicate somewhere on the box that this is an Atlas edition????
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Okay then, try this.
I don't think they use original moulds as all those were either sold to Nicky toys or destroyed. I think some other moulds went to other places but not Atlas. Atlas uses all new moulds from what I have heard but taken from original toys.

Not sure about the box.

Theo, is it an Atlas box or a reproduction you got off the net or had made for you?

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Nobleco for the clarification that they "reverse" engineer the molds as opposed to the originals. Learn something new everyday ......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #11

Thanks guys, the box states it is an Atlas edition, as does the base of the tractor
The stunning story is that this 36A still has to be launched in France in the Camions range.
But I was lucky getting one very very early

Jim,

on my way home, I picked up some branches from the trees and I shall make a set of 6 or 7 to fit the trailer. They have to be 14.5cm long, that is the length of the ones made by Atlas.

I have an original tractor somewhere too, shall compare both of them to see if you a right about the height of the windows
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
I just checked out the Atlas web site. Looks like good stuff. I sent them an email to see if they ship to the USA .

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Let us know what you find out. I asked them last year and they first did not answer and then I asked again and they said No.
That was it, a one word answer.

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #14

Despite your efforts, don't count on it Rixtoys. Atlas France won't even ship to NL or UK
I once asked them if they could widen their range to the Netherlands, but they just refused.
But give it a try, you never know

Re: My latest Atlas Dinky 36A acquired yesterday 6 years, 3 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Hi all, incredible those Atlas reproductions. If you like them or not, they are technically impeccable. The dies are not the old ones but newly made, if I'm not mistaken done by 3D scanning of the original models. If you like the original patina of a Dinky, they are horrible, if you like technical perfectness and just want a good model of a 1950s vehicle (which other brands perhaps never made) they are unrivalled.
A photo of my original Dinky below + two details which easily show the difference. Of course the plastic trunks versus the natural wooden ones of the original French Dinky are obvious, but have a look at the cast surface. A Dinky always shows diecasting irregularities there, whereas the computer processing and modern diecast techniques smoothened all these away on Atlas models. Meccano would have been jealous of such fine products in the 1950s! I presume many purist Dinky Toys collectors are not ...

Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by janwerner.
  • Page: