Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection

Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 8 months ago #1

Administrator
I just managed to get the last of the models that I really wanted from the Quattroruote Magazine 1/42 collection by Fabbri - the Renault Dauphine. Like all the others, it\'s nicely detailed with opening bonnet, boot and front doors, but what makes this extra interesting is that although it\'s down on the plinth (and in all the listings) as just a Renault Dauphine 850, the badge tampos on the car all say Dauphine Alfa Romeo - which makes it one of the Dauphines built in italy under licence by Alfa in the early sixties. I haven\'t taken it off the plinth to see whether the base says Alfa too yet.

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have a little pocket book of cars that I\'ve always puzzled over the fact that Alfa was building the Dauphine as well. I suppose its not that well known \'cause I have a couple of Alfa books that don\'t mention the Dauphine at all.
I just summed it up as an editor\'s mistake.
(misplaced the book at the moment)

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 8 months ago #3

Administrator
Apparently Alfa and Renault had an agreement that Renault garages services Alfas in France and vice versa, and out of that Alfa decided to build the Dauphine in Italy so they\'d have a car to sell in the economy market.

Alfa did a similar thing again in the 80s when they built the Nissan Cherry/Pulsar with the Alfasud engine and an Alfa grille as the Alfa Romeo Arna. I\'m really glad they didn\'t stick an Alfa grille on the Dauphine! (But then the Dauphine didn\'t have an Alfa engine - except for the badges, it was identical to the French one)

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
yes, and Renault did the badge engineering thing with the Renault12/Dacia, and the Renault truck with DAF

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
Baskingshark, did you have a look at the base by now?
I\'m very anxious to know...

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #6

Administrator
Just looked now! It only says Renault on the base.

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
Thank you! But nice to know about the tampos!

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Almost the same color as this one - from 1961, but no RENAULT anywhere on it! A 1/41 scale plastic Polistil No. 30, remade in Mexico by McGregor.
BIGGER
BIGGER
BIGGER

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
Nice color!
Here\'s mine in a rather dull grey. Original Polistil, bought it from an Argentinian ebayer.

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #10

Administrator
Both of those are unusual - the McGregor was made from Polistil moulds sold to the Mexican (!) company McGregor after production stopped in Italy, and the grey one has the later sticker numberplate, which means it\'s a very late example as most of the plastic cars have the earlier transfer type.

Dinky Boy, in your thread on the Alfa forum, there\'s a model of a 164 cabriolet - I\'ve never seen one before. Who made it and was there a real 164 cabriolet? If so, I think I need to own one right now!

Re:Alfa Romeo Renault Dauphine from the Quattroruote Collection 11 years, 7 months ago #11

Gold Boarder
This one. It is a modified Gamma model, by forum member Alfavaganza. It\'s a unique elaboration.
In fact there is a 164 Cabriolet, some guys from our club just chopped off the roof. It is not legal for a drive on public roads. It is very different from the model. No softtop and four doors (all still perfectly fit for opening and closing)
  • Page: