DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer beam trailer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer beam trailer

DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer beam trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #1

This was in todays mail, a Peterbilt 389 heavy hauler with 3 axle Fontaine low bed and Hydra-Steer beam trailer. It came with all the tie down chains, hydraulic lines, signs, flags, extra outriggers for the lowbed, and warning lights. A really fine example of a heavy hauler. The frames for the lowbed can be removed and the lowbed could be used to haul other loads. It has a removeable neck to load/unload, just like the real ones. You just need to have plenty of room to display this one, with the 6 axle trailer loaded on the 3 axle, it\'s just under 15 inches long.

Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer be trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Nice look with the dowel on for a load.

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer be trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #3

It was the only thing I had on hand that was long enough to show how the entire party worked. I\'m looking into making a proper beam load for the set, when I find room to display the thing. Guess it\'s time to dust the shelves and move some things around. My wife will be happy....

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer be trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
You know, they use trucks like that to move the 100 foot bridge decks around BC when the make them at the coast. I have seen a few on our highways. That would be a cool project for your truck. A concrete re enforced bridge deck before top steel and road ways go on.

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer be trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #5

That\'s what the set is for, only they move the main beams one at a time instead of as a complete deck unit. There\'s a lot of weight involved and US laws are pretty strict on how much you can move at once, and most heavy hauls have to be broken down to components, not moved as a whole unit. That\'s why they assemble the big loaders, drag lines and dump trucks at the mining site instead of moving them as a unit.

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer be trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Exatly and that is why your should build a couple of beam for transport. One on the truck, loaded and ready to go and one on the skids waiting for you to get back. Lots of beams needed for some bridge decks and yes, they have to come in sections here too but I have seen up to 100 feet at once being transported. Even helped install one over a creek in Kelowna after building the  piers. 15 feet under the river bed was the base of the footings. Come in after the weekend and if they had forgotten to fill the fuel tanks, the pit was full of water and you had a paid 2 hour coffee break on Monday. Most Monday\'s in fact. LOL was a good job, for a summer.

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer be trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #7

I did some measuring, and a 100 ft beam in 64th scale is 18.75 inches, just for the beam. Then add another foot for the tractor and trailer out front and the axles in the back and that\'s about 30 inches to display it with a beam. I\'m still trying to find room for the truck at 15 inches..... when did I run out of room?

Re:DCP Peterbilt 389 with Fontaine low bed and 6 axle Hydra-Steer beam trailer 11 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
LOL, that is funny. It creeps up on you from behind when you are not looking and takes all your display space away. You turn around and say, What the....I thought I had room for this, now what an I going to do. LOL
  • Page: