4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet

4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Today we, Theo (Routemaster) and yours truly, really enjoyed a great NAMAC swapmeet. Not too busy because of the Easter weekend; I would say just about right.

My finds: new ones:

The big and small 007 Goldfinger yellow and black Rolls Royce Phantom III, the first will get a code 3 treatment.

The black with cane sides Renault Reinastella, to be modified to a Rolls Royce 20/25.

Gunmetal Grey Bentley Continental, Oxford Diecast (the one still missing in my collection). And the 1967 Monte Carlo winning Mini Cooper S, this version with roof rack.

Used:

From the rear: A Guy Warrior all yellow car transporter. A Dinky and Lone Star Rolls Royce, to be restored.

Two Mercury Bentley's, see separate thread:

www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...=103922&Itemid=0

Four Yesteryear models, mainly for parts (wheels) and code 3 purposes.

And finally a Solido Rolls Royce Phantom III wreck, of which the wheels, headlights and grille will be transferred to the Renauilt Reinastella to make it a 20/25.

All in all a good catch and one happy customer at this side
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #2

Yes, it was a great swapmeet and we met some old acquaintances too, f.i. Mr Big from Germany  

I had a modest score, with only 3 models.

French Dinky 547 Panhard PL 17, the light purple one, in play with condition. It needs a good clean and then it can race into my cabinet. Set me back 12,50 euros

The next one is the Dinky Toys 181 Volkswagen Saloon with a light blue body and spun hubs. I think the base was once black, but it is now very rusty. A perfect candidate for restoration. Only a fiver, so no big deal

And finally best buy of the day for me (well I can't beat Gerrit's Mercury Bentleys )
The Dinky Dublo 063 Commer van with a blue body, silver trim and grey plastic smooth wheels. Set me back 12 euros, In my opinion the car is near mint and in superb condition. 

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
That Dinky Beetle of Theo brings back so many memories. That was my very first Dinky model of my life. It must have been 1958, I guess. That car was with me all of the time. I took it to school and a friend of mine's father had a car repair shop. He offered me a total respray of that car. Where has it gone, I don't know what became of it.

Thanks Theo, it really struck me and I might buy the same car myself again one day.

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Already converting the Renault Reinastella with the white wall wheels to become a Rolls Royce 20/25. Now the Rolls Royce grille and headlights to follow.

To be continued.

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Some fantastic scores guys. I like them all. Some nice projects for you both to get stuck into. 

Those Mercury Bentley's are very beautiful models, the two tone paint looks very attractive on them.

A good score for you Theo on the Dinky Dublo van for only 12 Euros bargain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #6

And this is what is left of the VW

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
This casting is of excellent quality as far as I can see.

I am curious how that rusted baseplate will look after your treatment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #8

I first brushed the base with a copperwire brush to get rid of the rust.
The I soaked it for 15 minutes in vinegar
Now it stays overnight in cola, that is an old trick I learnt from my father

So perhaps tomorrow some photos if it hasn't dissolved
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:

Now it stays overnight in cola, that is an old trick I learnt from my father

Pepsi or Coca?..........

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #10

Lidl
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: 4th of April NAMAC Swapmeet 6 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Theo, nice score on the VW and the Dublo Commer. The are both nice and the Commer is superb.
Doing base plates I only use Vinegar. Two days does most of the bases I have come across and then on to the wire wheel of my drill press. Cola works well but it also eats metal so be careful. Lucky it is not Coke from the early 1960's as I can remember putting a common 3 inch nail in a bottle on the back porch and about 5 days later it was gone. NO sign of it at all. I dumped the pop. LOL Strong stuff back then.
  • Page: