Small space N scale layout
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Small space N scale layout

Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #1

I started my new N scale layout last month, after years of procrastination. I\'m limited on space for it, so it\'s only 28 inches wide by 96 inches long, and I have only 17 inches of headroom in the space it will fit. I used a 1X2 frame with 3/8th plywood for the platform. Roadbed is Woodland Scenics foam, the first time I\'ve tried foam roadbed, my previous N scale and my HO use cork. Track is a combination of Atlas and flex track from Walthers. I\'m going with wire frame and plaster hard shell for the mountains. These are just a few of the in progress pics, and the black and gray \"roads\" are just painted on for reference, so I can see how everything will fit. I\'m freelancing this one, and there isn\'t a set time period.
This is the board with the beginnings of the rail yard laid out in foam roadbed.

From the other end, the south end mountains will cover this end of the layout.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #2

Some more pics of the layout. These are of the planned structure layout, before the mountains were added to the south end.
This is the north end, firestaiion, brewery and site of a future resturaunt, when I find one I like.

Rail yard, car lot and equipment sales.

Downtown and residential area, and the junction of the business route and bypass.

The south end before the moutains. I had planned on a small gravel pit, and as usual, ran out of room. The big building is a Design Preservation Models kit, as are the brewery, red brick and white buildings downtown. The blue building and blue firehouse are Pikestuff kits.

another view of the south end. The trucks are GHQ pewter kits, the blue bus is a resin casting. The yellow school bus is a custom I made from plastic sheet.

Last Edit: 10 years, 1 month ago by oldtruck56.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #3

The wire framework for the south end mountains. More mountains are planned behind the rail yard and downtown side of the layout.

I used the window screen for the inner side of the mountains to allow a little flexibility when I start to add the plaster. I find it easier to form the shape I want using the window screen for the little details. The wire mesh is very rigid, and is great for areas that don\'t need the extra detail, or will be covered with detailed scenery.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Some nice work there,I look forward to seeing it develop.
Frame.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #5

Thank you! The roads are just painted on for the time being, while I sort out what is going to go where. I\'ll post more pics as it moves along.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Looking great mate.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #7

Started to plaster the mountains, and finished the framework for the backdrop mountains. I\'m using cheese cloth and plaster of paris for the shell. Here are a couple more pics of the framework and the start of the plaster.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
The layout is looking good with the Rockies covered in snow.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Looks like a tunnel here in British Columbia, Canada. There is one, Can\'t remember the name at the mo, but it is a spiral tunnel thru the Kicking Horse Pass in the Rocky Mountains. Blasted out well over a hundred years ago.  I will have to google it for you. Here is an excerpt from the web page.
The Spiral Tunnels finally replaced the \"temporary\" route after 25 years. From a highway viewpoint you can watch a train disappear into Mt. Ogden. The train then exits the 890m (.553 mi.) circular tunnel, crosses under the highway, and enters a 992m (.616 mi.) circular tunnel in Cathedral Crags. This new route adds 10km (6.2 mi.) but reduces the grade to 2.2 percent.
More can be found here.

Last Edit: 10 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Try this You Tube video of the tunnels.

Here is a map of the tunnel from the air showing where it goes through the mountains.

pic_wonder_spiral_tunnel_lg.jpg

Last Edit: 10 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #11

Thanks guys, and thanks for the video. The \"snow\" is the plaster hard shell. Once I have the rest of the plaster work done, I still have another 8.5 linear feet to do, I\'ll paint the entire layout an earth tone brownish red, similar to the Mountains in the Gila, which inspired the sheer vertical walls along the back of the layout. At the moment, I have over 300 trees, more than I need I think. Then I can start the landscaping

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Yes I know it was plaster as it was my original trade. Great video Jim.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #13

Here are some pics taken yesterday up in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico. These are part of the inspiration for the mountains on the N scale layout.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Fantastic pictures just like some places in Australia.

Re:Small space N scale layout 10 years, 1 month ago #15

Really Beautiful pics and layout.  What era are you modeling?

Bruce

Moderators: Diecastduck