James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone?

James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #1

Administrator
As you might have read, we were at James May\'s Toy Fair last week - you can read my quick interview with James here. 
They\'re doing a new series of the show where James built a life-size Lego house, life-size Spitfire model kit, created a meccano bridge, recreated Brooklands in Scalextric and entered the Chelsea Flower Show with an all-plasticene garden - so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for other similar stunts you could do with toys - bearing in mind that they\'re particularly interested in doing something with diecast cars!

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
how about a fullscale model car with a diecast body and everything else including the engine, interior, seats and chassis in plastic. With the diecast body, the hinges of the doors need to be similar to a diecast model.

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #3

I would think a huge Britains diorama and a Matchbox Superfast car chase over a mile or so (down a large hill)

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
I think although he touched on airfix there is the other side of model kits that could be their own episode, like model soldiers and wargames. Not sure how you would make a large version of it like all the toys in the first series however.

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Surely Matchbox has to feature largly in the diecast feature.
Hows a bout a race off The Matchbox Superfast crowd against the American Hotwheels gang.

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #6

Fresh Boarder
There are many stunts that would provide good TV.  In 1:64 scale, re-creating a famous movie chase in stop action could be fun.  Bullit or The Italian Job come to mind.  Perhaps a spoof of a Top Gear feature could even be done in stop motion?  A huge side-by-side downhill track could be built where hundreds of cars could be raced at the same time.  Perhaps a 1:64 scale down-hill land-speed record attempt could be made.  How fast could a toy car really go and stay on track?

How about an attempt to assemble 1 million Matchbox cars in one huge parking lot?  UK collectors could bring their models and set them out.  How about one long line of Matchbox cars from one location to another like London to Brighton?
Of course if any of these are selected i expect an invitation to come to the UK and be part of the fun!

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Now this would be interesting if Hot Wheels, Corgie\'s along side of the Matchies. Sit them on a steep slop in a long line with electronic barrier lifter then let them go.
Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by GunnerJim. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #8

Fresh Boarder
I guess it\'s a well-tried idea, but I reckon a huge Domino Rally (not a large set up, but a GIANT one, with big dominoes and bridges and things) would be good fun to do.

Re:James May\'s Toy Stories - Ideas anyone? 11 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Stop Action Movies are fun to watch on YouTube... Maybe the pros in moviemaking can make it more exciting than the amateurs.

• Page: