Building a deck after 12 years of use
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Building a deck after 12 years of use

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months, 1 week ago #31

Platinum Boarder
<p>As I am in close contact with Jim, he also sent me the pictures of the project in PM's. So, great job Jim, and when finished it must be very satisfactionary to sit down there with your wife, have a drink and enjoy your work. I agree with Theo, and by 'us' he probably means some of the members here. So who would you invite......?</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months, 1 week ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Any one that wants to come over to Canada. That could be quite the crowd if you all came at the same time. I don't have room here for people to stay but there are 3 motels in town and I believe they are all under $100 per night and that is cheap. In the off season they are less expensive too. Lots to see and do here if your into Hiking, climbing, 4 wheeling or ATV riding. I am not into any of that. We would welcome all of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #33

Expert Boarder

Yes, not much happens here in Canada.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Nice buck you have there. They don't make good pets though. They keep wandering off and eating the neighbours plants. We have a herd here that comes every few days and eats the leaves off our Lilac tree. They leave piles of droppings too that have to be cleaned up before cutting the lawn. They are pretty to look at. They are why I fenced in the back yard and why I don't grow nice flowers out front. They eat them

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 3 weeks ago #35

Platinum Boarder
It has been quite a while since I posted in this thread but the winters here are boring if you don't Ski, Snow Mobile, Cross Country Ski or Snow shoe. Am I leaving anything out??? Oh Ya, Heli skiing or glacier climbing. We have that here in BC not to mention Para sailing and hang gliding in the winter.. Not my kind of fun though.
I am also not going to bore you will all sorts of pictures of sanding and staining the lumber for the rest of the deck, that is the railings and stairs. I have one more coat of stain on the wood for the White railing and the Grey Rails that support it. You will see some of my work in the next few weeks. I hope to be finished before mid August.
I do have the one railing that I did not do back in 2007 when we moved here completed with new lumber so that is an achievement. LOL

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 3 weeks ago #36

Platinum Boarder
I forgot the pictures of the newest railing.

First is the top and bottom rails. The bottom is important as it will hold the complete railing up.

The next two pictures are from different angles for the completed railing. Now my deck is fully enclosed.

Here we have my latest group of boards for staining to complete the other two sections of railing and also the three banisters for the stairs. I have yet to cut the stringers for the stairs. I have to measure the new heights as I put in new concrete sidewalks a couple years ago and the height has changed. I will show complete shots of how to build stairs if any one is really interested or thinking of building a set of wooden stairs. I have done stairs in Wood, concrete and metal and really enjoyed doing the drawings for metal stairs, building the forms and pouring the concrete for the cement stairs and cutting and building wood stairs for homes and apartments.

That is if anyone is interested???

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 2 weeks, 6 days ago #37

that really looks the part Jim. The saw machine looks very professional I am sure makes working on the timber a lot easier and less time consuming.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 2 weeks, 5 days ago #38

Platinum Boarder
It looks fantastic , you have done a very professional job , it must be rewarding to sit & relax there knowing you have built it.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 2 weeks, 5 days ago #39

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. The saw is not that expensive if your doing a lot of work but it sure is handy. Much less than the brand Name saws. It is King Canada Product and is under $250.00. Same with the stand but it is from China. Also not handy and can fold up for storage.
It does feel good to have that rail done. It completes the deck. Now I have to replace the rest of the rails and build one new set of stairs. Almost all the staining is done for the railings. 2 and sometimes 3 coats of stain. The white shows the wood under it if not coated 3 times. Even though it is a solid high hide stain. Just they way it is, I guess. This deck should last as long as we are here.