Building a deck after 12 years of use
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Building a deck after 12 years of use

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #16

Quite a build you got your hands on. But I know you are a master in woodwork
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, it is appreciated. We use the deck almost year round so get very good use out of it.
143, yes it is the cellar, no wine, can't stand the stuff and I keep my beer in the garage refrigerator. That staircase leads down to my office and the rest of the basement/cellar.
Chacca, yes we do enjoy the deck very much. Have table and chairs out during the summer and have a couple deck umbrellas to keep the sun off. I do all the BBQing and that is also where it is kept and used. Grand kids play on it when they come so needed to do a rebuild as it was getting pretty old and worn out. Adds value to the home as well. I have done loads of work on our home since 2007 when we bought it. Repairs and new builds is a better way to spend the mortgage money as it is all pain for.
Theo, thanks for the compliment. I don't know about being a Master but I do try to do my best all the time. I enjoy doing this but it gets harder the older I get.
I will snow pictures of progress, did quite a bit so far and will post final pictures when done.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Okay, we finished off the deck today. At least the floor and one set of stairs. I still have the Deck hatch to the basement to do and the North railing to build and install. The South end needs new stairs and I am adding a new feature wall. I will show pictures of that when I get there. For now we have a working deck and two sets of stairs again.

Above is the continuation of the deck at the far end. then you see the south stairs I will replace and the walk way to get out over the late afternoon and evening. Then the pile of lumber which keeps getting smaller and smaller

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Yesterday is was not 33° and we only worked til about 2pm, just too hot in the direct sun. You can see that along the house edge there is a filler piece or two to go in and also along the outside of the deck. There is also fillers behind some of the posts to place yet.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #20

Platinum Boarder
The back door of the house is at the south end of the house facing west so we have orientation. Sorry should have said that earlier.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Here are the north stairs completed with new stain on the risers ( hold the stair treads that you walk on) and the backers and new treads with 2 coats of durable solid stain. Acrylic-Alkyd Stain.
The next picture shows the long angle cut at the North West corner of the the deck and a better view of the North stair. The last picture shows the South stair that will be completely replaced and the posts for the deck feature wall. I had the sidewalks done a couple years ago. They look good now but I need to cut the lawn. LOL

Onward and upward, Deck stair building tomorrow.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #22

That looks good Jim, Enjoying a beer and a wine on this new deck is your reward I guess.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo, Yes, that will be part of it but lots of coffee in the morning is partaken of on this deck.
I still have one railing to build, one hand rail for the stairs in the pic above and also the feature wall to go yet. Oh, ya, the deck lid to the basement. That one is easy. Cutting all the spindles takes time and then staining them white, two coats, will take some time too but in the end it is all worth it.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months, 1 week ago #24

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have come a long way in the last month. The deck floor is complete but for the finishing touches on the deck door to the basement. The feature wall is complete. I won't bother you with all the pictures but I stained all wood with a solid high hide deck stain. Two coats on everything. I even painted the caps for the feature wall white to add to the contrast. Here we go. The first three pictures are the feature wall with the top louvers in the three positions. You can put them anywhere you want in the arc but this shows how it looks. The last two pictures are of the mostly complete deck with some of our furniture and the deck flowers I get every year.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 11 months, 1 week ago by Nobleco.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months, 1 week ago #25

Platinum Boarder
You can see the old paint flaking off the top of the long railing behind the flowers. All that rail is rotten at the bottom of the white spindles as water sits there a lot. Next year that is all replaced. The rail also leans out at the far end by the stairs that lead to the sidewalk, That gets fixed when I put the new stairs in with the new hand rail. It will look the same as the one you see in the last photo. That holds it all straight and give it good strength too. Have to leave a hole for the gas meter on the left so they gas guy can read it one a month and also so to give it some room to work on it if they ever have to. Can't close them off, that is against the law hear.
Yes, that is a church behind the house next door. That old house was the school for the church back in the early 1900's. I think they were built in about 1898 or so.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Interesting history, should last you for many more years of summer sun Jim.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco, you have done a very professional job there it looks very neat, well done.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. Glad you like the deck and my work. I still have work to do and should get more done today. It has been a long project but it has been fun. Had to by a new bench miter saw as my old one (15 years I had it) broke a switch and there is no replacement and the switch was burned up so can't be repaired. I had lots of good use out of it as I renovated our home in the Okanagan back in 2005 and 2007 with it along with framing out the basement here and the first deck here too. I also closed in the carport which is on the side of the garage. That doubled my garage space for storage and my tools etc. I can't get even a small car in there. Maybe a Mini would fit though. I tried my wife's Saturn before we gave it away and I could not get in properly and then I could not get out of the car as it was too large for the garage. We park out front.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #29

Absolutely fantastic. Made by a real craftsman. I see there is enough space for us to come over and drink a beer together

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 11 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
You bet there is. I have another deck table and more chairs so there is room for standing and sitting about a dozen people. You could set up a croquet game or even horse shoes but I don't have sand pits. If your ever in BC......Always a cold beer in the garage fridge.