Building a deck after 12 years of use
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Building a deck after 12 years of use

Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I am getting to old for this stuff so I hired some local help. Here is the project.</p>

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I built this deck in 2007 in about 3 weeks. Now, 12 years later, it is time to redo the deck boards. 125 2x6 boards, mostly 8 feet long but some 12 footers to. It took me over a month and a half to stain all the boards all the way around, Twice. Lots of rainy days and I only have room and time to do about 20 boards a day. I also have to fit life in there too. Here are a couple shots of what I did back then.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I installed the skirting the day after this photo and stained the end of the lumber along that edge you see. The lights got lost. It was a wide as the house and 8 feet deep.
Here is the new framing under the deck way back then.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I had to run power out to the garage. We had just moved in at the end of July 2007 and it was time to get the work started in August/ Dig, dig dig.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #5

Platinum Boarder
What the heck I should show the start of this. There is the back of the house about a month before we bought it.

No one was really looking after the lawn and garden so they were all over grown.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A lot of work involved in that , looks great , wood is a lovely material to work from & when it is done right it looks terrific as your deck does , great work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>As Jim already showed me some of the pictures of the new woodwork, I know it is a great job and it will look very good!</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Well, we are taking the weekend off. I have to load the pictures on the camera into my computer and will find that time this weekend. Not having done this kind of work for about 10 years now it is hard to handle and the temps have been in the low to mid 30's this past week. I think we have two more days before it is completed. Then I have a hand rail and a stair rail to build. Those are easy. Also replacing one set of stairs and have to level the deck out as it has sunk due to the removal of a Heating Oil Tank that was in the ground and had to be removed before I built the deck.

This is the hole being dug and finding the tank about 4 feet down. I think it was about 250 gallons.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #9

Platinum Boarder
We got it out with an old gentleman at the controls of a very very old Bobcat track steer loader. It was all it could to to get it out of the ground and out front so I could give it away. It went to the Auto Shop at the north end of town where they mechanics use it for old oil storage. When full it is recycled. No leaking into the ground to that was good news and saved us a ton of money.

The old guy started dumping dirt back in the hole but put too much in and I could not compact it like I wanted. Your supposed to pack by had every 1 foot or by machine every 3 to 4 feet but he has dumped it half full before I got back from the street. Therefore the deck corner here sank about 2 inches over 12 years now.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Here you can see the old lumber beside the fence just outside the back yard. Also there is a picture of the new lumber under a green tarp. It has all been coated twice on all four sides with a high quality deck solid stain for color and protection from traffic and weather. Then you can see the deck joisting and how it looks after 12 years out there. Only have to replace one rotten board so not bad so far.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The old tank has been recycled to recycle old oil , well done,
That wood is in remarkable condition it must have been well treated.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I only stained the top of the joists when I installed them. You can see where the water etc dripped though the gaps in the boards. That is on purpose. It is hard to see the stain but it is most noticeable on the right side just beside the house. It looks browner than the side of the board.
I did stain, to protect against sun and rain etc, all the boards all four sides and did a good rub in on them. Northern Pine semi-transparent stain. Here are some pictures before I put them down.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>That was 2007, this is 2019. The last couple days last week were productive. We got the joist changed.
Maybe a third of the deck is covered with new boards.
MY SHADOW!
</p>
<p>That is a basement stairwell that was there when we moved in. Like a cellar door.</p>
<p>That is it on the left of the picture below. I build the deck and then three steps made of wood to get from the concrete that was already there to the deck.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Nobleco.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #14

Platinum Boarder
what is in the cellar? wine lol

looks top notch now.

Re: Building a deck after 12 years of use 1 year ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>Seems like a lot of work.</p>
<p>I like to see a picture when the job is done.</p>
<p>I hope you enjoy it, i know i like to do some work on my house.</p>