My Technics turntable
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Technics turntable

My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #1

<p>Triggered by Keesies article about his turntable, I went to the attic to find the one I still have, but don't use anymore</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #2

It is not a Sony, but a Technics. Model SL-J2. I bought it in 1985!!!, still have the receipt.
These are the specs:
Linear tracking tonearm with optoelectronic sensor detects any arm angle deflection, and automatically compensates to give optimum tracking performance
Gimbal suspension system with low-friction ball-bearings gives superb tracking ability
Equipped with the Technics-designed P-Mount cartridge connector system
Automatic operation. The SL-J2 automatically selects record size and speed. All function keys are on the front panel, so operation can be carried out with the dust cover closed
30cm (12") diameter aluminum diecast platter
TNRC cabinet for effective protection against external vibrations and acoustic feedback
Manual switching of disc size and speed to accommodate non-standard record formats
Automatic stylus muting

image uploader

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #3

More info about it on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-J2

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>Wonderful player THEO (I wrote Jim at first, sorry)! It looks like a portable, with no parts sticking out. This one must have been the Technics top. A linear tracking tonearm (Kevin has one too) is so good. The complete arm moves along the record, and therefore there is no need for an angle in the arm. I will look at the specs on Wiki.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Interesting concept they way the tone arm works. I have never seen that before. I also have a record player or turn table tucked away somewhere in our home. It was my wife's as I sold mine, if I remember right. I might have to look it up and see.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, a linear tracking arm has a straight angle with ANY part of the record. As the complete arm is placed on a rail, there is absolutely no force from any side, and the player also has a sensor to recognize a 45, 33 or whatever.</p>

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Interesting idea and have never seen or used one. I get the idea but a tone arm also swings along the proper track of a record but I don't think they can detect what speed to play it at. Is that done by diameter of the record? The records are all different diameters depending on speed even the old 78 and 16 speeds.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #8

Kees: Theo (that is me...) posted the photos and owns the record player

Jim: 33 and 45 speed is available and the record player detects the size automatically, just as Kees pointed out, with a sensor. You can also select the track from the album that you want to play, f.i. if there are 6 tracks on one side and you want to hear nr 6 only, you can selct it.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Oops, sorry Theo, I thought it was Jim who had this player.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
That is interesting Theo. I did not know they even existed.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, tell us (Jim and me.....) more Theo. Is your player permanemtly connected to a system, or was it stored in the attic....? What kind of music do you play?</p>

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #12

The Technics is stored in the attic, as well as my records. I have a broad interest in music: Dolly Dots, Spice Girls, Guys an'Dolls, Tammy Wynette.................................................................................................................. or not

No just kidding.
Where to begin: Well my first single I bought was Kung-Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas. I think I might still have that.
The first album I bought: Hotel California, no further introduction needed I think. Bought it when it first came out, so an all original first pressing.
Subsequently I discovered David Bowie. He is my absolute favorite artist. Got about 125 LPs and lots of singles. Many bootlegs too. Have seen him 3 times perform in NL
About seeing artists live on stage: my first was Queen. Their first appearance ibn The Netherlands, live at the Groenoordhallen in Leiden. This is a ticket (not mine but I remeber it)
image uploader

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #13

I remember the supporting programme: BowWowWow. Their performance was so bad, we threw empty beers onto the stage to express our feelings.

Then followed UB40 in Utrecht somewhere in the early 80s. Got the original Signing Off album with the extra EP too
Pink Floyd 3 times
David Bowie 3 times
The Rolling Stones 2 times

Music of the sixties is what I like. The Beatles ofcourse, CSNY, Jim Choce. But also Triumvirat, Taurus (from Haarlem NL where I went backstage many times because I knew the pianoplayer who played in the same football team with me).

Nowadays I like to listen to The Foo Fighters, Amy Winehouse

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I was a big music fan able to enjoy almost anything from all those giutar playing bands from the 60's such as The Shadows etc through everything pop and rock then into the 70's with electronic synth such as Jean Michel Jarre etc.

Having worked in the industry I met several celebrities of the day.

I turned my back on all that when Dad passed away and rarely listen to anything special these days.

I was starting to come to terms with that tragedy and begin to get some music together when Mum passed away!!

It will be a long time now that I will actually go out of my way to listen to my records, tapes or CD,s!!

Rollerman.

Re: My Technics turntable 2 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>Theo, I also have Kung Fu Fighting, and as you might know, I collect singles from the 60-70's. The first single given to me by my parents was 'Ivanhoe', Dutch version, I still have it. My first album was 'Ekseption' by the Dutch group of the same name. You have a lot from Bowie!!!! I have most of his regular albums on CD. We went to see Queen in 1986, also in the Groenoord hallen in Leiden! This was because we got married that month !</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.
  • Page: