The two uncles
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: The two uncles

The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I forgot if I already told you part of this, but let me start from the start......this will be a long story, so be prepared.</p>
<p>Last year an uncle of my wife passed away. He was a real music lover, but he had a problem. He lived alone in a small rental flat, and when he bought a new amp or CD-player, he just unplugged the old one, and placed the new one on top if it.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Keesie.

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #2

So that must have been a tower-block of equipment

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Indeed, terrible job to clear the flat. As I am a music lover as well, and most others in the family are just listening to whatever on their i-phones, I was interested in several devices. I have an average Sony CD-player, which plays ok. Then we loaded household stuff in all our cars, a Sony machine ended up in my garage. Actually, I did not pay attention to it at first, because there was so much to clear and devide.</p>

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>So, when I came around examining the player, and lifted it, it was 19 kilos!!!!! I looked for info on the net, to find this player is top of the bill (and Rollerman said so as well, and he is the real expert in this......). Sure, it plays CD's like every other player, but there is a light under every button you touch, the opening and closing goes very smoothly, without any noise. Placing a CD cannot go wrong. While other players can get jammed when you place a CD in the wrong spot, this one will centre a CD itself.</p>
<p>
imgae upload</p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
As clearing his house came to an end, the last time we were there, there was still some stuff left, but there was simply no more space in the cars. So the housemaster/concierge as we call him, entered.
We asked him if we could leave some stuff, and come back for it. This as ok.............we should never have done that. .

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>One of the things we had to leave behind was a Sony PS4300 record player, still in the original factory box. As no one wanted it, I was going to have it. In the days and weeks following ,we tried to reach the concierge, but he was either ill, on holidays, ill again, a day off, you name it. Invoices were not answered, and at a certain moment I contacted the company who owned the flats. They could contact the guy instantly (....) and he said there was nothing left !!!!!!!!!!</p>

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
The company said I could go to the police or start a case, but there was no proof of anything, so there was nothing we could do. Besides, you don't start a case about a record-player, do you?
Anyway, I said to the company to check out this guy, because he had TWO jobs no doubt: concierge and selling stuff not belonging to him.

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #8

what a scam.

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Time passed, and I decided to buy a record player on Marktplaats. For insiders, a Sony PS11. After some small repairs and adjustments, I got it working. It is a great player, and it does what it should do.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
An excellent turntable and while it can not be seen in the picture, this also has two storage ports along the back edge of the plynth, something we were discussing Kees.

Rollerman.

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Kevin, indeed there are two storage ports (holes) behind the platter. With this player however, it seemed as if there were no extra weights involved. Because no one else besides us will have a clue what we are on about, let me go back to the main line of the story...........</p>
<p>Last week an aunt of my wife passed away. Her husband passed away 11 years ago. He was the brother of the uncle I mentioned in my first report, who passed away last year.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>I did not go there often, in fact, only been there once or twice the past 5 years or so. My wife's aunt did not live a very social life after her husband passed away, and she got more and more isolated. Luckily she had a good neighbour who watched over her. In the end several social/medical workers checked on her. When we visited her I noticed she too had an impressive hifi unit, but it would have been sort of impolite to pay attention to it, and not to her. Obviously the unit was not touched anymore after the uncle passed away.</p>

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>We had the funeral after Christmas, and she was laid to rest with her husband.</p>
<p>So, the past few days we went to her flat, because it has to be cleared, and transferred to new people at the end of January.</p>
<p>My wife used to visit her at least once a week, so she knew what to expect. We entered, and boy, was she a collector! Not only nice stuff, but also things that should have been thrown away. I will not go into that, but now I had the chanche to look at the hifi..............</p>

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Sound like you may have a find on your hands. If you have not looked at it before now, who knows what you will find. Maybe even some records you have been looking for. It is a hard job going through a loved ones belongings after they have passed. It can take some time. It took 2 years to go through my grandmothers home. She passed in 1998 at the age of 104 and her home was full, top to bottom with amazing stuff but also, like Kees said, stuff that should have been tossed out. Paper bags, twist ties, plastic bag closer tabs like the kind you find on bread bags. I never knew there were so may different colors.
Take your time as you have a month but Grandmas House was three full stories tall, about 1500 sq ft each and had been lived in since 1920 or 1921. That is a lot of history to clear up as she raised two daughters during the Great Depression and you did not throw anything out back then.

Re: The two uncles 2 years, 4 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Pfff, these days are hectic. There are so many things we have to do. Also, when I do not write down things, I forget. At night I look into my note book what the next day will bring. I will NOT look more than a day in advance.
Jim, funny you mention these throw away things, and your grandmother was like my wife's aunt. We HAD to state we would have the flat cleared before the end of January, otherwise this would indeed have taken a few years.
  • Page: