Sugar Plum Fairy
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sugar Plum Fairy

Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
'Sugar Plum Fairy' is not only a classic part-ballet from the Nutracker by Tchaikovsky , but also something John Lennon said when the first take of 'a day in the life' was recorded for Sgt Pepper.

A few days a year I consider myself a sort of sugar plum fairy, well, a plum-guy. With the next story I mean to tell you why I am not so active models concerned in this period.....
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #2

more to come.....

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
A friend of mine has a farm nearby. In his year he has several plum trees. This time of the year he calls me to 'shake the trees'.  The first tree that has ripe plums is the dark blue type. I fill up two bags attached to my pushbike and along the way I visit people who I know, and give them a portion of plums. Especially visitjng the older and lonely people and give them plums is great. In the mean time we talk about history or the latest news. I also visit families in - to me- interesting houses. These houses merely have important histories in our village.

I also visit the old people's place I told you about in other postings, and leave a lot of plums there. Further I go to the house where demented people are. I get 'special' attention from a certain gentleman there:

-Who are you?
-I am the plum-man.
-I wanted to buy plums at the local grocery, but they did not have any.
-I know, I bought them all.
-Is your name Jantje? (Jantje is the name of a boy in a nursery rhyme. He walks past a garden and sees plums in a tree, so he steals a lot of them) 
-No, my name is Keesie
- How much are those plums?
-I never mentioned money, I just want ot be paid with a smile.

The gentlemen smiles, shakes hands with me, I say goodbye and I carry on to the next stop.

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #4

Very good!

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
After a few days I go to my friend again, and go back to the first tree. This time I have to use a ladder to reach the higher ripe ones. When I shake the branches most ripe ones fall out. They land in the grass, so quite soft.

I then go to the next tree, which has white/yellow plums. Same procedure, lower ones first, and next time the higher ones. I did three trees up till now. There is so much fruit in there, there are not 'enough' people I know to take the plums to. The ones which fall and are not picked up rot away.......

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That way it is not only nice to see people, but you also create a network without actually noticing or meaning to do it (which is also the case on this forum.....) Because of all my acitivities I know a lot of people, which is big fun.

It even gets better when people start trading fruit and other stuff. After the plum period, in between it is blackberry time, after this apples and pears come down and after that finally the grapes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That is a great story Kees and a great act of kindness on your part for not only distributing the otherwise wasted fruit but also the visiting, for what ever reason. Old folks love that. Nice to hear you do that and you must enjoy it or you would not do it year after year. Good for you.

My parents always had fruit trees in the yard. Apples and cherries, 2 each, when I was growing up on the west side of Vancouver. Gravensteins are the largest apples I have ever seen and one is more than enough for a 9" apple pie. Two will make three pies.
When we moved Dad planted plums. Purple colored Prune Plums. We had apple trees too but Macintosh and Delicious this time.Mom always made pies with the apples and we always gave both grandparents lots. Grandma N canned lots of apples for the winter. Mom not so much as the Plums are her favorite and she always made Plum Jam with them. I remember eating that on toast for breakfast every winter I lived at home from age 13 to 21. After that I made a point of getting my fair share by helping pick the plums. Mom would always give me extra jam for that. I miss it as the tree and house are gone and sold a number of years ago now. Mom is in a home and my sisters and I don't have fruit trees of our own. I don't eat jam anymore anyway. Too sweet for my tastes now.
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim, indeed I like to do that, and especially the old people like it too and they are great to talk to. Also these things do not cost anything, most important. If you look up plums they are very healty, and help against certain diseases.

Never heard of Gravensteins before! So you wanted your fair share when picking the fruit!

There is nothing stopping you from planting some fruit trees yourself. I have a few apple and a pear tree, several sorts of berries and grapes.

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
We are in a very cold zone where we live. Zone 3 and we can not grow much in the way of fruit trees here. When driving around town, the only ones I see are very old and do not produce much good fruit. Fruit trees don't really like it at 35 below and lower as we get that for at least 2 to 3 weeks each year. Besides that, we only get direct sun in the middle of the summer from about 9am til maybe 6pm. They like longer days. I can always take a short drive (about 1 hour) over to where my daughter lives in Osoyoos and pick up all the fruit of all kinds that I would ever want. Did cherries for the first time in many years as I usually eat to many of them and suffer for that for a few days. Tend to stay away from too much fruit for that same reason. Body changes with age and just don't eat fruit anymore.

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim, as we know things ere not equally devided around the globe. We always have a lot of fruit here, and there is a huge export business in those fields. A strange phenomenon is that there are periods that a lot of fruit is destroyed. Because there are too many apples, the price drops. The price can actually drop below the sheer costs to 'produce' an apple. Therefore a certain quantity is destroyed, or made to be cow-food. Transporting them abroad costs too much as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The joys of the common market. Politicians dictating policy to farmers.

Re: Sugar Plum Fairy 3 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
We have a huge Tree Fruit industry here in BC along with grapes for wine. Some of the Okanagan Valley wines are getting better than a lot of European wines and competing quite well in the field of wines winning world events. If you ever get the chance to try a
VQA BC wine, you will know what I mean.
Apples we ship a lot to Japan and China and the far east. We compete against Washington State for that so have the same problem as you with too many apples at one time. Lots of ours go to a Gleaners Group of retired folks who make fruit leather and such out of the left overs of extras. Some is delivered right to them in Summerland or Peachland while some orchardists prefer them to come and pick up the culls and droppings themselves. They have hundreds of volunteers each year who help. Most of the cattle ranches around here are organic and they have fruit trees to give to the cattle and the horses, sheep goats, llamas and alpacas that are ranched around here.
  • Page: