(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My grammophone

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #91

Platinum Boarder
I guess it depends on what you call a "single"

Jethro Tull with "Thick as a Brick" time 43 min 50 sec

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #92

Platinum Boarder
Is that the time it takes to lay a 100 bricks.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #93

Platinum Boarder
Dinkydi wrote:
I guess it depends on what you call a "single"

Jethro Tull with "Thick as a Brick" time 43 min 50 sec

Yes, but that does NOT fit on a 45 RPM vinyl single, does it.....?
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #94

Platinum Boarder
Ok, I realize this is only for Beatles maniacs......

Today I recieved the vinyl single of Help! Not that spectacular you might think, but this one does not start with the song itself, but with the James Bond tune!

To make a complicated story a bit simple: in 1963-67 the USA had different compilations of Beatles albums then the rest of the world. In the USA it was decided some Help songs would be incorporated in an album with the fillm score. In front of the song the James Bond theme was added. Simultaniously the single Help!/I'm down was released, only Mexico took over the James Bond tune, and on the flip side it has "I need you" from George Harrison.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #95

Platinum Boarder
Do we know why a version of the James Bond title music is on the Beatles record.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #96

Platinum Boarder
No idea, just as I said, it was 'marked' as film-music. You can listen to it here:

And here is the 'explain' )if you can stand this guy....)

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #97

Platinum Boarder
I have that album but don't remember when I bought it. Not long after came out though. It is a made Canada Capital Record and is the Monaural version. I don't have anything to play it on that is hooked up. I don't think I can hook it up to my stereo as it does not have the jacks I need. Hmmm. Has the instrumentals listed on the cover as just that but on the album itself it has the names of the instrumentals. Is it the same as yours or different? Looks almost identical to what the commentator showed but no Stereo at the top on the back.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #98

Platinum Boarder
Keesie wrote:

Yes, but that does NOT fit on a 45 RPM vinyl single, does it.....?[/quote]

Maybe it could fit on a 12 inch 45 rpm record.  
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Dinkydi.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #99

Platinum Boarder
Neither does the Beatles Help album as I was referring to from Kees post. I just happen to have the same album but not sure if it has the James Bond music on it as I have not turntable connected to anything to find out.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #100

Platinum Boarder
DD, indeed it would fit on a 12 inch. As I remember those were popular in the disco period in the 80's. Just one track on each side, and as big as an LP/album.

Jim, the Beatles history of vinyl records is very confusing. Some albums were done in mono AND stereo. In Europe and the rest of the world an LP like Help  contained 12 or 14 songs, 6 or 7 of which appeared in the movie. The USA/Canada did another version: only the 6 or 7 movie tracks, together with instrumental music. That way they would 'save' the rest of the tracks for another album. Only since Sgt Pepper (1967) they were the same all over the world, but with Magical Mystery Tour (1968) they did it again: singles and a 2EP in the rest of the world, an LP in the USA...... 

Your Help album does NOT say it has a James Bond intro, so you have to play it to be sure. This can't be a problem for you with so many record-play stuff in the house........

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #101

Platinum Boarder
Thanks, I will have to see what I can hook up and listen to it myself. I also have the Magical Mystery Tour Album and a few others. Had some 45's too of the first Beatles songs but don't know what happened to them. They could have been sold when my Parents home was cleared out for resale.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #102

Platinum Boarder
Curious what you will find on that album, so you can tell us.

In the mean time this was, still is, another great day........

Early 1967 the new single Penny Lane/Strawberry fields forever was pressed, and a certain number op 45's were sent to USA AND Canadian(!!!!!) radio stations, being 'promotional copy, not for sale', as printed on the round label. After they had been sent, George Martin realized this version (called RM11) was not the right one. Quickly a new one was printed and sent. No need to tell you the first one is worth  quite a lot of money. A week later the 45 was sold in the shops. So, what is the difference between the first and second version?

The second version, as everyone has been used to over the years, ends like we all know it.

The first version however, has a 'piccolo trumpet ending', played by Dave Mason. He was hired because McCartney heard him play on TV in a classical piece. Listneing to the song you can hear him hee and there. At the very ending of the song he did a last solo, which was left off later.

For years I tried to get one.......

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #103

Platinum Boarder
....and today I recieved it! Imagine I would have told you the story and me not having that record myself.....

Also interesting is the situation musicwise in former Russia. Before the wall was torn down, in 1989, people on the other side, so the greater part of East Germany, Polen, and Russia, were not allowed to own most types of western (not cowboy....) music. If you were caught, you could end up in jail.

Therefore little factories were set up, owned by the government. Only AFTER 1975 some Beatles tracks were allowed to be pressed and distributed. No need telling you the Rolling Stones were still no allowed....

So, a total of about 15 Beatles tracks were placed on a total of five EP's. Of course 'Back in the USSR' was still not allowed. The EP's could be played on 33RPM, not on 45. Back then it was real extravagant to have one of those.

When the wall went down, those records found their ways into the record shops, and because there are not that many, still quite hard to find.

I have all five of them, here they are, together with the Help/Bond intro single. One double is is for a friend.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #104

Platinum Boarder
So, there are sites where you can search for music to buy. Problem is that eastern sellers advertise with Russian records, but the texts are not translated most of the time. So you don't have a clue what a record is about.

I went over a lot of them, contacted one seller, who said I had to look for this text:

Битлз

Does anyone have any idea what this stands for?
So when I found it, and my computer cannot type this, I copy-pasted it in google-search. Then I added 'translate'. You then find it is Russian for......Beatles!

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #105

Platinum Boarder
That is correct, Битлз = Beatles in Russian. Just copied and pasted it into Bing Translator and it instantly came up. Nice to see the collection you have.