My grammophone
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My grammophone

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #76

Platinum Boarder
When I were a lad, the fashionable record players were 'Dansette' and you could put up to 6 discs on the centre 'pole', needless to say we used to put more on.
The singles had a circular slotted (ladder style) ridge round the edge of the label area to stop the discs spinning against each other.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #77

Platinum Boarder
I also remember those, great fun to watch as the arm lifted, moved away from the centre of the record just played, moved back to the few records waiting and touched the edge of the next record as if saying...''come on, your turn now''' and that record dropped down ready for playing.

We all used to have those temporary record centres that clipped into 45's so we could play records taken out of jukeboxes!

Dansette by the way were BSR autochanger units in new clothes.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #78

Platinum Boarder
I have those record centre clippings as well. Some singles came new with a centre which was part of the record, some came NEW without them. Some could be pushed out. I even have very 'groovy' ones, like the ones in the Glenn Miller box. Five black, and five yellow ones.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #79

Platinum Boarder
During the 1960's I would save up my allowance and go to the record store every other week, most times. A single 45 with one song on either side would be $1.00 and .05¢ for tax. It came in a paper sleeve, large hole in the middle and my record player came with a plastic piece that dropped onto the post that held the 33 RPM records. You could also buy the yellow ones that Kees is showing above. The center post has a off-set to it shaft so was not straight. There was  a small piece if metal that would move when the tone arm moved back to the start position after a record was played. Did not matter what speed or what diameter of disk. The little metal piece would move and sink into the shaft allowing a record to drop down to be played. The metal piece was slightly tapered on one side, if I remember right, and would stop the next record from dropping, right away. I think you could stack at least 5 records on top. Below is a pic from the internet of one similar to what we had as kids. You can see the of-set in the post.

The one below shows a center disk that is part of the turntable.Up for 45's and will be pushed down with small hole records like 33's

Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #80

Gold Boarder
I'm having flashbacks here !  I remember my parents would stack a half dozen albums on the record player at once. Great memories

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #81

Platinum Boarder
Half a dozen!? I don't think ours was capable of holding so many.

Jim, that was cheap! With us a single 45, both sides, was 4.25 guilders, later 4.50, about 2 euros now. Never seen the player with the built in centre part either.

Might have told you I am into 45's. There were 45's with a very short son on them, let's say less than 2 minutes. Then Hey Jude came out from the Beatles, which lasted 7.07 minutes! In the middle of this we had top-40's and 50's and what have you. There was also a radio-station which would broadcast the top-100, on a few specific days of each year. Listeners could send their favourites, no matter how old or new, a hit or not. In fact, this is still on each year with us.

As I remember this started in the early 70's, and it is quite an interesting list. Firstly, you might think new tracks would dominate that, but you will be surprised, ithet do NOT!
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #82

Platinum Boarder
The Beatle's Psychedelic Rolls-Royce Phantm V had one of these fitted.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #83

Platinum Boarder
Looks like a CD-player, but it is probably......8track?

..........looked up the type number, it plays vinyl records!

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #84

Platinum Boarder
NOT an 8 track but a player for 45's, a friend had a Ford Zephyr Zodiac (Mk 2) with one in. It also had a Raymond Mays ported & polished cylinder head with triple 1 and 1/2 inch S.U. carbs, wasn't a lot quicker that the standard car but drank petrol at an alarming rate. I think it was 6 or 8 miles to the gallon, probably because the carbs were never set up properly.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #85

Platinum Boarder
Nice to see a 45 player for a car. Never seen one or heard of one until now.
SU Carbs are tricky to set up. Two are hard enough but three??? would take a bit to keep them in sync too. One of the reasons earlier jags with SU Carbs were so expensive to tune up. Try matching 6 of them all together. I tried on on my Harley. It has a 1.5 inch throat on the stock carb and the SU I had was about 1.25 inch throat. Worked well but drank gas like crazy. I then tried a Lake injector type carb and that worked better but the S&S super B carb was the best for power and mileage. Got about 50mpg with that one.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #86

Platinum Boarder
When we were rallying mini's we used to take them to a little 1 man band garage in South Ealing, he knew his stuff only ever used a rubber pipe to tune them by ear, we used to be in there once a month or more, twin 1.25, then single 1.5 then twin 1.5 then single 1.75, then went to Weber 28/36 when manifolds came available.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #87

Platinum Boarder
I like to tell you more about those 45's and top-100. I suppose most people who send in their lists of favourite songs to that radiostation once a year are not youngsters, because the songs in the top of that lists are always:
Stairway to heaven-Led Zeppelin, Child in time-Deep Purple, Hotel California-Eagles and above all: Bohemian Rapsody-Queen.  For those of you who are familiair with those songs, they are all more than 6 minutes. Even songs  which were never made as a 45 appeared, and of course, because of the influence of the program, they appeared in  single!

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #88

Platinum Boarder
There have been radio stations that I listened to that voted for their favorite songs over the year and then they were tallied in order from most to least for the Top 100 of the year. Other stations went by the number of requests for a particular song during the year and others it was on play time for the year as not all requests get played but they still counted so you could stack the votes on that one, if you wanted to but most stations it did not matter. Vote or not, as many times as you want.
I know of all and have all of the songs you name Kees. Great Music and there is also Moody Blues that should be on that list. Wildest Dream comes to mind or almost any song off the 1969 release of "on the threshold of a dream"

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #89

Gold Boarder
"Of course you are my bright little star ! I've miles of files pretty files ......" I still know the whole intro. Threshold was one of my favorite albums of all time, closely followed by Hendrix Purple Haze, The Doors and Light my Fire. The Animals Down in Monterey dozens of great songs in such a short time. I can't believe it's been 50 years . It was an explosion in music.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #90

Platinum Boarder
You are bound to forget songs Jim, indeed the Moody Blues. I have their complete repertoire, Question and Nights in white satin are always in that list. Rix, indeed the Doors, long version of Light my fire, House of the rising sun-Animals, but also the 18 minute versions of Get ready-Rare Earth and In a gadda da vida-Iron Butterfly. Of course those could never be put on a 45 single. 

So in that list there is a tendency to have longer songs in. One song that is in was never put to single anywhere up till then: Halo of flies-Alice Cooper. It got high in that list, and then it was decided to put it on a 45. Bear in mind, it is 8.21 minutes! It became a hit, and as far as I know, it is the longest single ever.