My grammophone
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My grammophone

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #61

Platinum Boarder
I have a TA-1066, Two TC-377 decks and the earlier TC-366. Replacement heads could have been fitted and then the fun of setting the azimuth, the right position of the heads in relation to the tape, something I have done professionally and on my own tape decks, it really is a fun thing to do to tape recorders.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #62

Platinum Boarder
I suppose I got rid of the tapedeck because I no longer used it, and let someone else be happy with it. All these had their specific sounds when turned on or off. The sound of that TC377 when you turned that big switch......I remember I first put it on, and thought it would break, becasue of the noise. It never broke......

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #63

Platinum Boarder
Even wehn new Amplifiers will create sound on power up. Most of us don't hear it. It is simply electrolytic capacitors being charged up ready to do their work, but over time they do get tired and leak audio discharges which you can now hear. This should not do any damage to your speakers unless the noise becomes more like a ''Spitting'' crackling sound.

A competant audio enthusiast will actually go inside and change most of the 'Caps' for modern versions.

A lot of amplifiers (especially Sony units), emit a lovely reassuring ''Bump'' during the initial power-up, something I miss nowadays as I no longer use any of my vintage stuff.

Old reel to reel tape daecks are rather more prone to emitting noises on power up. Again it is likely to be inefficiant capacitors, sometimes failed transistors (affecting only one channel, never both at the same time!), but again, there should not be any cause for alarm as tape decks do not have a direct route to the speakers.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #64

Platinum Boarder
My Hi Fi of choice is a Pye Diotran bought new in 1978. The tape deck not shown as I don't have use for it these days

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #65

Platinum Boarder
This is the record player I have which plays 78's. An English Astor with bakelite case and record size select button.

I have 2 of these, one I bough for spare parts.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #66

Platinum Boarder
Just love the sound of vinyl records. Kriesler Multi Sonic Stereo. Made in Australia.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #67

Platinum Boarder
These are great, I just love seeing old audio and video equipment. I think that is a BSR A-21 deck in the Kiesler stereogram, dating from the mid-60's.

BSR (Birmingham Sound Reproducers) dates back to 1932. BSR as a record deck manufacturer closed down in 1985.

They must have been quite good decks because Sony sourced them for a while in the early 1970's.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #68

Platinum Boarder
It seems as if more and more of us join in this thread......thanks for all those pictures guys.

I remember I bought new equipment to replace my earlier stuff, not becasue I was no longer satisfied, but I wanted to have more ways of playing my stuff, and there simply weren't enough possibilities to plug it all in. Around 1987 I bought a CD-player (Technics), and I think around 1990 I decided on a new Sony black system. The only thing that bothered me that Sony (maybe Kevin can enlighten me) never did a CD-player with MP3 in the style I wanted. So in the end I decided on a CD-player from Sony, anda DVD-MP3 player from Technics. 

The new set took so much space, that I wanted to have a new cupboard designed, which would have the whole set on 50 by 50 centimeters. That was done, and very handy is that the shelves can be adjusted in height.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #69

Platinum Boarder
Sorry Kees, what did you actually mean...''Sony never did a CD-player with MP3 in the style I wanted''.

The actual design of the units outer casing or was it a technical issue?

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Well, as you can see the equipment in the tower is all black. Most of the stuff was bought halfway the nineties, I think. I then wanted a CDplayer which could also play MP3-CD's. These were done by Sony but only as portables or for building in in cars. I think no other make did those either, so in the end I figured to stick with the Sony CDplayer I had, and buy an extra DVDplayer with built in MP3. I choose one from Pioneer in the end, which is in that tower.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #71

Platinum Boarder
OK Kees, thank you for explaining.

I will say this...Sony invested heavily in the 'Walkman' format of portable music players. They always saw the format as a portable system and not integrated into a Home Hi-Fi system. 

When 'Walkman' became digital and they made tiny players that could play MP3 files after a lot of mucking about with connecting it to a computer etc, the emphasis was even more towards portable equipment.

Their Hi-Fi CD players were engineered towards ultimate sound reproduction at every price point available, they were very reluctant to include dirty code to enable the playing of MP3 files.

Their CD players were regularly winning awards in the published music and equipment magazines for sound quality, they were after all co-developers of the format!

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #72

Platinum Boarder
I can't remember if there was ever a stationary CD-player with MP3 anyway. Therefore I HAD to buy a DVDplayer which has MP3. Now it would not have mattered if a player is DVD instead of CD, if you are looking for a CDplayer. It was just the feeling, and the information in the screen as well. In a CD player it is always better 'readable' than in a DVDplayer.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #73

Platinum Boarder
Steering back to records. I am very proud to have one of these...

Sony PSX-600 'Biotracer' from 1981.

Put any off-centre hole record or warped record and this will play it with help from it's computer controlled tonearm.

Here are some details from the Sony catalogue.

A Rolls-Royce of turntables.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #74

Platinum Boarder
I looked up this model on the net, quite expensive, and the top of the bill!

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 3 months ago #75

Platinum Boarder
I told you about the box with Glenn Miller EP's I bought. EP1 has '1' on one side, on the other side it has '20'. The next one has '2' and '19', and so on. There was a device, that you used to stick into the centre of the platform of the grammophone (as in GunnerJim's picture), and on top of this you could place a pile of records. With us the maximum was about 3.  When one record was played, the inner system would drop down the next record to play.

I suppose the Glenn Miller set, a total of 10 EP's, could be placed om a device like that. Although I cannot imagine there would be a pile of 10 records on the platform, and the upper one would be played......after they were played, you took the whole pile off, turned it over, and the other sides would be played. In the case of Glenn miller, nr 10 would be the last one on the pile to be played. When done, nr 11 would be on the other side of nr 10, and so on.