My grammophone
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My grammophone

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
Love those cylinders.

Have a look at this...

www.sossolutions.nl/edison-wax-candle-cy...ograph-kit-by-gakken

It uses wax candles to make the recordings on but you might be able to adapt it to play your cylinders. At less than $80, its worth a try!

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Sounds like good fun. Very tempted but models call.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
Gee, a lot of stuff mentioned here that I wasn't aware of. 

A few days ago I went to a vinyl-market (nothing to do with carpetting)nearby, in the city of Hoorn. I went through a pile of 45's, and found this box: from the outside I could see it is rather old, covered in linen. It is a box of Glenn Miller. In the box TEN 45's. No, not singles, but EP's! All in state of NEW. What a treasure this is!

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #49

Platinum Boarder
A great 1956 issued 10 record set. I say 1956 assuming the serial number starts with 'G', perhaps you can confirm the serial number Kees. It will be something like...G8UW-2768.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by TheRollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin, there are some numbers on them.

SPD-18  599-91....(...is the record numer, so 01 tot 20) and between brackets:

G2PH-26....(....is two following digits for each records, starting with 39, ending with 58.

How can you tell it is from 1956?

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #51

Platinum Boarder
Thank's Kees.

The 'G2PH-26' is the number with the date letter. 'G' is for 1956.

'F' =1955.

'H'=1957.

'SPD-18' seems to be the tracks number, 10 discs, 2 songs on each disc=20 numbers.

Not all record companies put actual dates on their record's label, choosing instead a code made up with the pressing Year (which with RCA was also the release Year most of the time), the pressing plant and the customer account.

The RCA Victor codes have been spread around the internet for qiute some time. You just need to know what to look for and undrstand the meanings (not easy, but I have a head start due to my interest and hobby in record collecting).

I have an unhealthy interest in SONY equipment and the companies that make it. RCA Victor is part of the SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT company, one of the biggest record companies in existance. Naturally I have followed the fortunes of RCA Victor (with many other labels), because of their connection to Sony.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #52

Platinum Boarder
That is quite a lot of information Kevin! Cool that you know all that.

Ha ha, so collection Sony stuff is unhealthy! I bought my first Sony Amp and Tuner in 1973, and  they still work!!!!!!

Most of my stuff is from Sony anyway, TV and stereo.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
I must admit to being a fan of Sony stuff too. A computer nerd friend told me they used to make above average stuff when they were 'independent' but nowadays they use the same Panasonic made stuff that everybody uses I have no idea if it is true or not. I still buy their stuff.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
I don't want to change the direction of this thread and I can not show pictures, but here is the a listing of my Sony Playstation collection.

There is another listing for Hi-Fi equipment (53 items listed so far), another for portable equipment, another for Video and DVD recorders (34 items listed so far) and another for unusual items like shop displays and promotional items (24 items listed so far).

Before I stopped buying Sony equipment many Years ago, I had the best private Sony collection in the UK and it was going to be featured in the staff magazine for Sony UK. A representative came and had a quick interview about it and even asked if he could buy a piece of equipment from the collection they did not have, I declined the offer of course!

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
Terrytoo wrote:
I must admit to being a fan of Sony stuff too. A computer nerd friend told me they used to make above average stuff when they were 'independent' but nowadays they use the same Panasonic made stuff that everybody uses I have no idea if it is true or not. I still buy their stuff.

Sony do not use any Panasonic sourced equipment for their own use. Panasonic for many Years were a fierce rival of Sony only coming together when Sony developed Video recording formats for broadcast use and industry standards had to be set, so you can in fact get vintage U-Matic videp recorders made by Sony but carrying Panasonic badges (and JVC versions).

Panasonic LCD panels find their way into many other companies TV's, but not into Sony TV's.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
Kevin, I don't mind which direction a thread goes, and certainly not one like this: it is all talk about music and such, right? It is such fun to know what other members have besides diecast. To be honest I thought this thread would dry up soon, but it proves otherwise.

So you have a Sony Playstation collection........how did you come to collect those? It must be very impressive to see them. Do they all work? and you mentioned you also have other lists.......

As I never had one, I only had an early Atari as I remember. The fun of it was gone after about half a year, because I had to buy a new game all the time.....

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
Hi Kees.

I don't exactly remember how I got the first Playstation. Probably a forgone conclusion I would have one as soon as I found out Sony had made it because I was into Sony stuff at an early age while still at School.

The very first thing I brought with wages from my first job was Sony, a pair of Hi-Fi headphones (which I still have), the second thing I brought from more wages was Sony, a Black and White 11 inch portable Television (which I still have).

The first generation Playstation came out in 1995 in the UK, at £299. Don't think I paid that for mine and it may have been from a friend so second hand but still in good condition and working, or else I would not have wanted it (I still have it but now can not identify which of the units it is, I did not mark it as my first console) and since then I have added to it with more consoles as you realise different versions for different markets were made.

When first added to the collection they did all work, but through time and various storage places some (or all) of them may now be dead. Like cars, they are designed to be used on a regular basis, not sit around looking pretty as part of a collection!

Whatever Sony has made for the domestic audio and video markets, I have tried to get an example. In the end I have managed to get many examples, I was simply obsessed with the stuff. Every radio, microphone, headphones, audio and video tape in my Home or car was made by Sony.

In my bedroom I counted 12 Hi-Fi stereo cassette decks all stacked against one wall along with amps, tuners, receivers, turntables, reel to reel tape decks, Trinitron colour TV's etc, etc.

Today the collection now includes Sony VHS video recorders (lost count how many I have), Betamax recorders (er, at least half a dozen of those), DVD recorders, Freeview TV set top boxes, digital cameras, Walkman players and computers. A lot of portable stuff, accessories, catalogues, scrapbooks of cuttings, packaging and an incredible Sony audio tape collection.

I think it is safe to say...I like SONY!

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
I'm partly with you.......here a picture of my first Sony stuff, still working. I even have the accompanying books and bills!

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #59

Platinum Boarder
Lovely! TA-1066 amp and matching ST-5066 tuner from 1973-75. Looking at these is like looking at vintage cars. Thank's for showing these Kees, I must try and post some pictures of mine, trouble is most of the old stuff is even more burried than my model cars collection.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 4 years, 4 months ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin, so you don't have these 'classics'? Have to look it up, but I bought these in March 1973. Only once the green light broke, and it was replaced. When you switch on the amp, it goes 'oeh'. Always did that. The only 'damage' is that a few figures of the volume marks came off, only the 1 and 2. Along with these I bought a TC-377 tapedeck. I only sold that a few years ago, because the heads were no good anymore.