My grammophone
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My grammophone

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #106

Platinum Boarder
So, the cassettedeck in my 'tower' was seldom used, and I went looking for a good turntable/recordplayer, with us called pick-up. After a few weeks of looking on our Marketplace, comparing prices and quality, I managed to buy a good one: a Sony PS-11. The seller said he tried it out with a Tina Turner record and it was working fine. I asked him if it also worked with the Beatles, but he did not have any records of them, so it was a slight gamble.

I talked to Kevin about it and he agreed that it was a good quality. So when it came in I adjusted a few things, installed it, and indeed it works fine. First one in was Penny Lane, and the sound is great!

This is so cool!

Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #107

Platinum Boarder
Fits in there like it was made for that turntable, Nice.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #108

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim, as you can see it is dark grey, and the other stuff  is black. I think I will tie those cables together in the rear.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #109

Platinum Boarder
Now then, the new turntable is half-automatic, which means you have to place the arm on the record yourself, and when the record is played the arm comes back automaticly, and the power shut off. The cupboard is ok from the outside, and placing a longplay album is no problem, but placing a 45 you cannot see where to place the arm, because it is too dark. Therefore I glued a small lamp standard upside down on the shelf above the turntable. You can see this in the picture. That lamp costed 1 euro.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #110

Platinum Boarder
I had seen the lamp and thought it was a good idea. I had the same sort of set up years ago and had the same problem with the darkness. No lights that small available back in the 1970's and 80's so I used a small pen light flashlight. Easy enough to hold in your mouth when you needed two hands, one to hold the lid open and the other to place the record. I later removed the hinges and just took the top off when playing and put it back when finished. That worked really well.
Cables could be tied up better but it all looks like it belongs.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #111

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim, back then you did not have those small lamps indeed. Using a small pen-light did it back then, but still, as you said, you had to keep in your mouth.......

I am always looking for 'actions' that do not cost extra efford or time. The little lamp fits just in front of the dustcover, and the on/off button is on top of the lamp. This way opening the lid and using the light takes a few seconds, and still nothing in your hands......

You said it, one hand for the record and one to hold the lid open. Again not really 'handy', and you took the lid off.

Been talking to Kevin about this. Now look at my cupboard again. Not much space above the lid......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #112

Platinum Boarder
Be careful when tying cables together, so here are a few tips...

1, Ideally keep mains cables seperate from signal cables.

2, Do not coil mains cables, keep them lose.

3, Speaker cables should be of equal lengths. If one speaker is Three feet away from the system and the other speaker is Nine feet away, both cables should be Nine feet lengths.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #113

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin. Indeed there can be problems with cables, but I never had any. The cupboard in which the system is, has been in use like this for 21 years now, and I never had any problems, apart from a speaker sometimes not working because a wire became loose, which should be in the rear of the amp.

This cupboard and shelves were made by a woodmaker according to my wishes. Because especially the amp has to be moved out completely sometimes to make a connection, the wires I use are quite long. In the rear of every shelf a large hole was drilled to let all cables through.

Explaining the length of the cables is quite 'delicate', especially in my situation. You see, there is NO current behind that cupboard. I had to lead it there from the other side of the room.. Then there are TWO DVD-recorders in the set. One is for USA-DVD's, the other one plays EU-DVD's and MP3's. The TV-signal is not near that cupboard, so it comes from the other side of the room, and back again to the TV. For thid I needed a switchboard, which you see just above the amp.

And then the living is L-shaped, so not easy to create an ideal situation for surround-effects, and not for stereo anyway. As I have four (Wharfedale) speakers, I am glad the system works.......

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #114

Platinum Boarder
Final part. How to keep the lid open?

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #115

Platinum Boarder
It looks like the lamp is close enough to rest the lid onto it, is that possible Kees.

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #116

Platinum Boarder
Kevin, the lamp is in front of the lid, so when open the lid does not touch the lamp.

You were thinking to attach the lid to the lamp?  No, the lamp is too small and to weak to support it in any way.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #117

Platinum Boarder
For you Keesie, I suggest a linear actuator, for anybody else a block of wood.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #118

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Terry, I had to look that up, ......a linear actuator. I did not have a clue what you meant, but I bet you mean this:

It is a device you use when a door has to stay open or closed, or evne better, to keep the hood of a car open. I have them on my car. Clever thought, but I then have to drill a hole in the dustcover.........

Why will I be the exception? I mean, everyone else a block of wood?

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #119

Platinum Boarder
Hi Keesie,
I suspect you have hydraulic rams on the car to hold the hood open. The linear actuators are electrically driven, so you MAY have one as an electric (push button) handbrake.
Block of wood is not good enough for a tinkerer .
Have fun

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 8 months ago #120

Platinum Boarder
Yes, the car has hydraulic rams on both sides.

Anyway, a good idea Terry, and indeed a block of wood would be a bit too simple. Still, using a linear actuator would probably damage the cover in a certain spot.

You probably figured I found the solution, but I will let you guess for a while. The cover will stay open completely, no buttons or electrics, or high tech.