My grammophone
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My grammophone

My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Now I remember, here, in 'funny and social', you can place any interesting story. Here we go:

I have this old fashioned/modern grammophone. Always a feast for the eye (and it plays too). However, I felt that the tone-arm was from about the 60's, while the machine represents the 20's. I examined several pictures on the net, and for those old 78's the arm had a round 'soundbox' near the needle. The whole thing was in fact on a hinge, which could be lifted without lifting the arm itself. Here some pictures form the net.

Last Edit: 3 years, 10 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
The needle picks up the vibrations from the record, and passed it on to the soundbox. The soundbox then sends the sounds to the horn. 

So I wanted to make a fake soundbox, which could be placed over the actual arm. I started experimenting, but all the materials were too heavy or not strong enough..............

At the end of the season our volleyball team always goes out for a night. One of us always comes with a surprise where to go. This time we only went nearby to the city of Purmerend, 8 miles away. We were led into a sort of shop, and there were two doors. We made two teams, and the owner explained we would enter an 'escape-room'. We were given a task: dismantle a bomb. So we went in, and it was very dark. I felt a table, on which was a bag. In the bag a torchlight and an envelop. In the envelop a code. Then there was a safe. With the code.....finally we managed to get into another room, in the 1920 style. In one corner......a grammophone! I examined the arm of course, and we carried on with the game. We could not dismantle the bomb in time, but it was a great experience!

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Afterwards one of the owners explained what we did good and wrong, and each of us got a key-ring and a small box with peppermints. The box!!!!! I saw it was the one I needed straight away! At home I started working on it.

Most parts shown were no good, but this box was really light and strong.

I cut out the shape of the arm on a piece of paper.

I glued the two parts together, and sandpapered it.

Out of carton I made some designs.

With a needle I painted the fake holes onto the metal.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Done. The arm itself should be thicker than it is, have to think about that. I n the mean time, I am satisfied with the result.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Well that's a nice neat repair Kees, I wouldn't have thought that a new gramophone part could be made from one of those pope top peppermint containers! Ingenious!

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Nice work Kees. I remember that record player and turning the tone arm into a grammaphone arm is a great idea. Looks great, even if it does not work.
I have a real grammaphone here upstairs in the living room. It plays the 78 records I have from my Grandparents and they are all in the 1920's to 1930's era songs etc. Not sure if I have pictures on my computer but will look and see.
It plays really well and has all the grammaphone features. Even has the original Cactus needles with the sharpener and a bunch of Metal replacement needles which are what I use. Sound is fantastic for the era. Bought originally in 1921 and still looks new but for the patina.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Found them.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
So there is some body else collecting record players!

None of mine date back to the 1920's, but I still enjoy collecting them and I used to use them but with recent happenings and now the lack of space, they just sit in what has become a spare room collecting dust and spiders!

Rollerman.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Jim, that is a piece of art ! So glad to hear it still functions, and it looks like new. You say it is from your your grandparents, which makes it even more valuable. Play a 78, and think of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #10

great story and very ingenious. But could we expect something else from Kees? No, he always has these bright ideas of reusing old materials

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kees, it is a piece of art. It has a folded horn design behind that wooden artful grille work and has good throaty base sound when you want it. I have played almost all of the 20 or 30 records I have. Three or four different brands as back in the day some players would only play certain brands of records due to the width and depth of the grooves on the records. I think there were other factors involved in that too.
Kevin, you would like the 1935 record player and radio I have. The radio is upstairs on display with the Gramophone but the record player is a separate unit and has a power plug and a sound cord that goes to the Radio. The radio is all tubes and I have the original sales slip with a cost and I also have radio licensed for a number of years back when my grandparents had it. They both still work.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Here they both are from the last house we lived in so about 14 years ago now, 2003. Record player is on top and the front folds out.

It has all sort so parts and paper work stuffed into it.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #13

Gold Boarder
Nice fix Keesie and what a heirloom Jim. I have never seen an old phonograph in person.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
It is nice to have and glad my sister finally gave it to me for keeps. Her husband grabbed it when they were clearing out my Grandmothers place back in the early 90's and then they sold it to a friend for $300.00. I did not know about that sale until years later and I was ticked as I would have paid them that if they really wanted me to. Anyway, the guy who bought it was a collector and when he had to move, he just gave it back to my Sister and here Hubby. It sat at their place until my Mom and Dad moved into a home and more space was needed for their belongings that could not go to the home with them. I was offered the gramophone and of course took it. It has been here ever since 2008.
The dial looking thing at the front right corner is a speed control. Back left corner has an original tin with metal needles in it from when metal needles first came out to replace the cactus needle. I still have many metal needles and some cactus ones. I even have the cactus needle sharpener. The three little cups at the right rear are for holding needles. Like I said, not all records played with the same size needle so you had at least three types back in 1921/21 when this was brand new.

Edit: I was just looking at the pictures again and there is one of those little cups that has a lid on it with a hole. I believe that is a hole for used needles so you don't get them mixed up. You can only play about 3 to 5 records on one needle, Cactus was sharpened with every record or two so would wear down quickly.

This shows the cups at the rear better and also the metal needle and the screw that holds it in.
Better shot of the needle arm and there is a patent date of May 15  17 shown on the surface of the disk. This is a McLagan by Fletcher.

Last Edit: 3 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My grammophone 3 years, 10 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
What Keesie has done is brilliant, if you ask me and gives a great effect to his player.