CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
That Ford Model A looks like a Tudor, very similar to one I owned, mine was a very dark blue with black mudguards.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
The other Triumph Herald not represented in diecast much is the rare Courier, the only one I can find is very small scale for train layouts.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Dinkydi wrote:
The other Triumph Herald not represented in diecast much is the rare Courier, the only one I can find is very small scale for train layouts.

Yes, panel van versions are quite rare for almost any car. The only one I could find of the Herald (probably the one you also know of) is a 1/76th scale model from Classix. I guess the reasoning is, that very few would buy a miniture panel van if the can get a standard or estate version instead, with the panels blocking the view to most of the interior. They may be right about that, but former owners of a 1:1 would surely want one, as would diorama builders, completists, marque-fans and so on.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 4 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Finally, after some delay, here's the last set in this thread. First up is a 1968 Volvo 121 Amazon (with a vintage caravan). This car was incredibly popular here, it was always known as Volvo Amazon, and the 121/122/130-names were only used on paper. The Amazon was also an amazingly sturdy build and even today they are not that rare to see as everyday cars. This car was also very popular with model makers: Dinky (#184) and several from Tekno, both 2-dr., 4-dr. and estate, civilian and police. The Dinky has been reissued by Atlas, and their "Volvo Collection" also contains several versions of the Amazon. Other modern releases include Minichamps, Rob Eddie and a 1/18th model by Revell.

The successor to the Amazon was the 142/144/145/164 series. Volvo introduced a new numbering system for this - First digit says it's a generation one, the middle digit indicates the number of cylinders, the last one tells how many doors the cars have, so a Volvo 142, like this one from 1971, has 4 cylinders and 2 doors. This number system remained in use for many, many years. Unlike the Amazon, this series was not as durable, so despite being newer, it's a rarer sight today. Also, the Amazon was so popular, that it remained in production for a few years alongside the newer series. If you would like to own a good vintage model of this car, Tekno made a brilliant Volvo 144 (available as civilan car, police and fire chief). Spanish Nacoral/Inter-Cars issued both a Volvo 144 and 145 (estate) in the early 1970s - these were also great models (among other things they had metal bumpers with real rubber inlays), unfortunately they are also prone to zinc pest, so if looking for one, you need to be very careful. Modern versions have been made by Ixo, Premium X, Rob Eddie and last, but not least, several versions in Atlas' "Volvo Collection". Early versions had a chrome front grille, this was changed around 1970 to the black plastic/chrome version seen on this car. 

Going back in time, the predecessor to the Amazon was the "buckel-Volvos" (as the germans call them), or 'hunchbacks', first the 444 and later the 544. Because the Amazon was never made as a high-roof van, the van version of the 544 remained in production long after the launch of the Amazon. These vans were called Duett (Duo), a name assigned because of the versatility: the comfort of a family car and space of a van - it was available as either a panel van or standard family car with windows in the back. This is a 1968 Volvo 210 Duett.

Here is a standard Volvo PV544 (1964) - PV, by the way, stands for Person Vagn (Vagn = vehicle/car). Often the 'PV' is omitted in descriptions, so if searching for a diecast version, try both with and without 'pv' in the search terms.

Before the PV544 was the PV444, like this one from 1954. As you can see, they looked very similar with the main differences being a new grille and bigger windows front and rear (also the PV444 had split windows both front and rear)

And this leads us to the very last car, a 1952 Volvo PV834 ambulance. As you can see, it looks very much like the PV444, but the 834 was a dedicated ambulance version. Note that it has a single piece windscreen, despite being older than the PV444 above. This ambulance entered service in 1952 in Rønne (Bornholm) and served until 1968. As you can see from the interior shots, there wasn't much high tech. As the custodian from the museum explained "back then, there wasn't much treatment going on before reaching the hospital. The ambulance was for transport, and not much else"

I'll post some more photos from the CRAA event, but not in this thread - there are already way too many photos here, affecting loadtimes for the pages, and besides, by splitting the post into sub-groups, members won't have to go through pages of street cars, if only interested in classic race cars.

Hope you enjoyed. The next thread will be of photos from the paddocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 4 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
I like that cream panel van, I also like the red 444, with the split windscreen and that grille it looks very much like a '46 Ford.

I have a couple of later model Volvo Promotional models that were sold in Australia through Vovo dealers These are very nicely detailed including mud flaps.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 4 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
Ahh, that's a Stahlberg Volvo 244, made in Finland. Very nice models, like you say. Stahlberg has made these semi-hard plastic models of almost every Volvo and Saab you can think of, normally in scale 1/20. The older ones, like the Volvo Amazon (121/122/130) and Saab 99, are quite rare and tend to be very expensive.
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by Teebodk.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 4 months ago #37

great photos Tee,
Volvo's are very popular her in NL, There are lots of Amazons still out here driving every day. And a handful 142/164 series too
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by RoutemasterNL.