CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
1977 Lancia Beta

1968 Lotus Elan

1983 Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1.5ti, this is a very late Alfasud model.

1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL, little brother of the famous 300 SL "Gullwing"

1967 Mercedes-Benz 230 SL, one of the real icons of the 60s and very popular with diecast makers.

And finally one this big luxury car, a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 250 SE

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Some super pics tee, alot more variety than my local show. The favourite for me is the Ford Anglia.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
dinkyjay wrote:
Some super pics tee, alot more variety than my local show. The favourite for me is the Ford Anglia.

It was the first time I went, and I must admit I was quite surprised by the sheer numbers and variety of cars. I had expected a few, but there were far more than I could 'handle' on saturday (where these photos were taken)

The next day, I decided to take the time necessary in order to 'catch' them all. One of the worst things about coming home saturday night was the glimpses of great cars in the background, that I never got to take a closer look at. Supercars and sports cars often get preserved, but the 'ordinary' ones rarely do, so I really had a great time admiring all these old 'workhorses' of yesteryear.

Speaking of Ford Anglia... here's something to make you cry...

This Anglia was one of the main contenders in the '71-class with driver John Bruun behind the wheel. He's had great results in this car, both in earlier CRAA events and at other classic races, but this year it was not to be Thankfully the driver escaped without major injury, but the Anglia was not so lucky and will require a major rebuild.

Sorry about my shadow being in the picture, but with the sun being where it was, I could either do it like this, get down really low to avoid covering (but this would be bad for the angle) or move much further away... and then I'd have to crop heavily and lose resolution, so we opted for this... me and my shadow

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
An Alfasud is a collectable now?  I would never have imagined!  But I guess if it has no rust, it must be very rare!  

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Well, Karl... you may have noticed the absence of Alfas earlier in the thread (going alphabetically) and I'd also skipped the Alfasud at first, thinking it was too new - and that's typical Alfa: if you look in the background behind the Alfasud, you'll notice an Alfa Romeo banner - this was the Alfa brand camp on the site, but all the cars were from the late 80s and newer... I guess that indicates a rust problem, don't you agree?

Don't worry, though... I did catch some older Alfas as well, later on, including some great ones in the races.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
1973 MGB Roadster

One of my favorites was this 1937 MG TA

Dashboard of the MG

A newer classic, this 1966 Morris 1000 Super (alias Morris Minor) - this is the final version with the big turn indicators and and exactly like the one my dad used to own back in the early 70s. He'd 'inherited' it from my grandad after he'd suffered a heart attack - non-fatal, but he just didn't think it would be safe for him to continue driving.  I've searched high and low for a diecast miniature of this late version, but no luck

1934 Morris Eight Roadster Sport. Found in a barn near Randers (DK) and restored in just 11 months. It was originally sold in Southampton, purchased by a Dane working in the UK, brought back to Denmark, sold once or twice before it ended up in the barn, most likely in the late 40s or early 50s! It remained there for decades, until discovered a few years ago when the farm owner died and the barn was about to get torn down. The car was found full of old WWII stuff, including a machine gun(!)

Since being restored, the car has participated in all kinds of international vintage races, including Goodwood Festival of Speed.

I skip most of the Minis, since they're still very common, even today, but this one is a little more special, a 1980 Clubman Estate.

The final car in this round, a 1969 NSU 1200C,  is one I've always liked a lot, for some unknown reason. It wasn't popular with the model makers, though - Polistil had a not very accurate version, but that was it... until Neo Models came up with a superb 1/43 resin model a few years ago. I just HAD to have it, and it's even in the same cream colour as this 1:1 car.

And here's a look at the (rear-) engine

I hope you continue to enjoy. I know this is a LOT of photos, but I feel they're still relevant to PD because so many of them are cars we collect in small scale, and seeing the full-size cars may serve as inspiration both when it comes to restoration projects, and possibly to make some members want to go out and find a model of one of these cars.

Coming up in the next post will be a couple of Opel (including a 1952 truck), a Pontiac GTO and two Porsche.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, Dinkydi

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #22

Wonderful. I like the simplicity of the NSU engine. I can't even change a headlight, have to go to the garage for it...

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
The maroon car beside the green Clubman Estate is not something I recognise.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Dinkydi wrote:
The maroon car beside the green Clubman Estate is not something I recognise.

It's a 1954 Volvo PV444, coming up when we reach 'V'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
A wonderful old 1952 Opel Blitz truck. I have two of these in 1/43th scale, both specials from Ixo's "Opel Collection" - one is a covered dropside and the other a fire ladder truck. I believe Schuco may also have one or two and possibly Altaya in their truck collection.

1962 Opel Rekord PII 1.7

1967 Pontiac GTO

1961 Porsche 356B

And finally a 1985 Porsche 924

Oh, and just one thing I thought I should mention: the years stated are not for the models in general, but for each specific vehicle shown.

Ah, what the heck, let's take one more for Rollerman 1968 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow I

Coming next will be a 1979 Scania truck that looks a lot older, a Simca 1000, a Studebaker, a Sunbeam Alpine and a Saab Sonett III.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
This 1979 Scania 111 looks a lot older than it actually is, and brings back memories of the classic Tekno trucks of the 60s.

It may be small, but the Simca 1000 could be incredibly quick, especially after 'taken care of' by legendary Carlo Abarth. This 1970 standard street model, is probably not quite that fast. Being a French car it was, of course, very poplular with all the French diecast makers of the day (Dinky, Norev, Solido etc.)

1962 Studebaker Hawk Gran Turismo

1960 Sunbeam Alpine

1974 Saab Sonett III, this was the third and last generation of Saab's little sportscar. The main market was the US and when safety regulations there required huge rubber bumpers to be fitted to the cars, it was the beginning of the end for the Sonett. Saab felt it spoiled the sporty look, and buyers agreed... sales plummeted drastically and Saab decided to end production. This, as you can see, is the car as it's meant to look: without the huge rubber 'lips'.

Next up will be some different Triumphs (Herald, Spitfire, TR3-4-6)
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
That Scania 111 is much newer than the old Tekno! The Tekno was only a 110!    What a  great truck, kidding aside!  Too bad Tekno never made the Sonett - that would have been so nice.

And how did that beautiful 'Stude' get to DK, I wonder?  I see a few around here, since they were made nearby! 

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I agree that the Studebaker is a real beauty and it's a good thing that Corgi made such a great miniature, but both the Corgi and the one you posted are different from the one at CRAA, being a 'Gran Tourismo' version with an alternative roof/c-pillar, seen much better on this rear view.

The Scania trucks used to be everywhere in Danmark, alongside the Volvos (FH, Viking/Titan, Express), Mercedes LP 322, Ford D-800 and Bedford TJ & TK - interestingly Tekno made all of them, except for the Bedfords. Nowadays there's almost no 'long-noses' left on the streets, only a couple of Scanias used for heavy duty transports.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Great eyes, Teebo!  Mine was a '56 Golden Hawk seen in Indianapolis this year!

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
1968 Triumph Herald 13/60 Estate. This car gives me a good opportunity to ask a question: the Triumph Herald has been issued in miniature countless times - back in the 60s and to this day, but why is it, that almost every single one has been the standard Herald (be it coupe or saloon), while later versions like this 13/60 or the Vitesse are completely overlooked? When one of my favorite modern brands, Silas Models, launched their collection back in 2010-11, the first model was a Triumph Herald coupe... standard version. Despite a limited production run of just 300, it still hasn't sold out, while many of their later models have been sold out in just weeks. Their latest model is a Herald Estate, which at least is rather unusual. but it's still the old-style front. My claim is, that if some of the model makers had been bold enough to go for the 13/60 or the Vitesse, there would be next to no competition, and 'starving' collectors would rush to buy. So while the standard Herald admittedly is the most well known of the family, the market is also quite saturated with models. I know that Dinky made a Vitesse and I think there are also a coupe of insanely expensive (and sold out) white metal models, but that's it, as far as I'm aware of.

The yellow car on the right side of the photo above is a 1978 Opel Kadett C Saloon with the post-facelift rectangular headlights. The early ones, from 1973-77 had round ones.

1960 Triumph TR3. The green one next to it is a 1967 Triumph Spitfire III.

1963 Triumph TR4. Notice the RHD: this car was an import from the UK and has only been on the danish roads since 2007.

1974 Triumph TR6. The row of cars behind this, was among those I never got around to so all I have are small glimpses from different angles. I've managed to identify them as, from left to right: 1966 Fiat 850 Abarth (light grey with red stripes), 1981 Porsche 924 (red), 1972 Opel Commodore A 2.5S Coupe (black), 1929 Ford A (dark blue, almost completely obscured), 1973 Mini Panel Van (bright green).

1983 Volkswagen Golf GTI (VW Rabbit in the US) - one of the hottest 'boy racers' for decades.

A very beautiful 1963 Volkswagen T1 Kombi 'Samba'. Sorry for the junk in the foreground, but this car was used as a moblie café and this angle was the only one not totally obscured by people or tables.

A rare 1972 Volkswagen T2ab Van. What's so rare about this is the 'ab' in the name. The early T2 (now known as T2a) had turn indicators just above the bumpers like this one. Later versions (T2b) had the turn indicators next to the (widened) front air intakes. New air intakes were also added in the rear corners, as seen on this. For a short period, the car was partially updated with the new rear intaks, but the old ones at the front and also the old indicators - that's the version known as T2ab.

And this ends the 2nd to last post in this series. The last one will be all Volvo, and there are a couple of real goodies there, including a 1952 ambulance with detailed interior shots and also the original 'buckel-Volvo' (as the Germans call it), the Volvo PV444.