CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage

CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Every year in May, my home town of Aarhus hosts a series of classic motor races and exhibition show-races. The event spans several days with practice, qualification and races (2 or 3 heats per class). Everything takes place on an improvized street circuit in beautful surroundings against a backdrop of forest and the bay of Aarhus. For a lot more info about the event itself, you can go to the official website 

I hope some of PD's members will enjoy a few great cars from the past... and there may also be a modern one or two in between.

Have fun!

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Once again the PD forum somehow managed to crop out large portions of the text, so here's the missing part again:

"...you can go to the official website www.craa.dk/en/ (in english) - the danish version has far more info, but will probably be of little use to most PD members

This year I was there on both saturday and sunday, and brought home thousands of photos - from the races, paddocks, but - very importantly - also from the so-called classic car park (where the general public could park their oldtimers for free and get admiring views) and something called "Goodlook street", with live exhibitions of cars, bikes, tents, stands and people dressed in vintage clothing... one group took it to the extreme and brought a British WWII plane, a 'crashed' German plane and a tent full of typical english stuff... all based around a couple of very vintage Morris and MG cars driving around on the premises - very enjoyable!

I'll try to post some photos from the event, just a few at a time, with some comments on what's going on and of course, the - for car enthusiasts - all important information about the cars!..."

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #3

I quickly scrolled the website, looks good...
Next year we could organize a PD members meeting there.... just a thought

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
First of, here's one of the cars from the "british tent", a 1934 Austin Seven Tourer driving down Goodlook Street...

Here's another Austin, but slightly newer, a 1957 Austin A35 Saloon...

And here the infamous 'landcrab', a 1969 Austin 1800

Let's round off this first batch with a slightly more dignified car, a 1953 Bentley Type 6.

Much more to came... unless somebody stops me

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Not so vintage, maybe, but a car highly desired by 'boy racers', here's a 1972 BMW 2002Ti Alpina

And a couple more 1970s 'beemers', first up this 1975 BMW 525

And, just a couple of years newer, this 1977 BMW 528i

Moving across 'the pond' for the final one of this post, a HUGE(!!!) 1966 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Hope you enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A 1965 Chevy Nova SS

Now here's some extreme vintage again: a 1936 Citroën AZ

The next one is a car I vividly remember from my childhood, both for the looks, but also for the very characteristic engine sound. This 1957, DKW 3=6 was later sold in a slightly updated version as Auto Union 1000S (I have a 1/43 model from Norev of that one) and later again it was built on license in Brazil as "Vemag Bel Car"

Ending this post with a 1973 Fiat 124 Special

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, blackstone, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe - this doesn't look even remotely similar to the 124 Special in the previous post. The Sport Coupe and Spider had their very own body type, whereas the 124 Special's main visual difference from the standard car was the double headlights.

The coupe version didn't last that long, but the open top Sport/Spider refused to die and simply went on and on and on for many years. I have a not very expensive, but rarely seen late 1/43 model from Edison with big 'rubber' bumpers from 1979 (by this time it was called Fiat 124 Spider 2000).

Next up, is one most Europeans wold surely know: the tiny Fiat 500, here in a 1965 'F' version on display for a sponsoring insurance company. The main white text on the door reads "Det er ingen skam at blive ældre...", which translates to "Getting older is no disgrace.."

The next one is, so I think, getting very rare these days. It's a 1965 Fiat 600T and yes, it IS based on the only slightly bigger 'big brother' of the Fiat 500 above! It was badly underpowered, as one can easily imagine, but because it was always meant for city traffic it just about got away with it.

Finally one of the very popular micro-cars of the late 50s and early 60s, here's a 1958 FMR KR 200 (aka Messerschmitt KR 200)

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Nice pics, thanks for posting these.

The Citroen is unusual with that front rather than the one that looks like a '34 Ford.

The Cadillac looks like a Convertible rather than a Coupe.

I notice in the background of one of the BMW photos a Volvo Amazon Panel Van, now that's something I don't see everyday  

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hmm, you're right about that Cadillac. I'd looked it up on the motoring registry and it said "Coupe De Ville" so I just used that, without actually thinking about what I saw

The Volvo, however, is not an Amazon but a 1968 210 Duett based on the PV544. Here it is:

Unfortunately I missed a lot of great cars in the parking lot on saturday, because I was in a hurry to get in, in time for a big live interview with Kevin Magnussen. I thought I'd get back later, but I stayed for so long that the car park was almost empty by the time I got out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
The  Caddy looks like a hard top to me with a vinyl roof.  i.e., a fake convertible, which was very common back then...

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
1962 Ford Anglia 106E, complete with vintage skis and suitcase

1979 Ford Capri MkIII 3000 II GT

1970 Ford Cortina MkII 1600 GT

1972 Ford D-800 Custom Cab tow truck

same as above

same as above, winch detail - actually the winch is recycled and dates back to 1958 - I have a photo of the type-plate.

Next up will be a 1956 fire truck, but that'll have to wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #12

Great photos, that D800 is my favorite
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I like the side indicators on the 105E

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
1956 Ford F-620 fire truck

same from the rear

close-up of the front. The papers partially obscuring the view are the original orders for the build of this truck, with all specifications and prices. The order is dated October 22nd 1955 and the truck was built by "Jysk Karosseriværk A/S" in Randers. If you're familiar with Tekno's old emergeny vehicles, you'll recognize several features on this full scale truck.

1966 Ford Taunus 12M (P4)

1974 Jensen Interceptor III (notice how dusty it is! access was via a dirt road and it was quite dry)

And this post will end with one of the 'not so vintage' cars A 2014 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera LP 570/4.

...not much spare room here!

behind the wheel in the 'Lambo'

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, blackstone

Re: CRAA 2014 - some wonderful classic cars... and maybe a few not so vintage 7 years, 5 months ago #15

That fire truck is really fantastic. Great pictures Tee!