List your real owned cars in photos
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: List your real owned cars in photos

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #61

Platinum Boarder
<p>The Supra was a 6 cylinder, but very quiet. It was imported from Arabia, where they had small license-plates, same as in the USA.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #62

Platinum Boarder
<p>Wierdly enough the first few months the car had a lot of trouble: roof leaking. The roof panel could be screwed tight from the inside, and once taken out, there were grips in the trunk to hold it. Every time it rained there was one or two drops, every time in a different place. Probably it had not rained in Arabia, but this was wrong. The first two months it was more often with the dealer in repair than I drove it. Every time I got a next to new car to dirve, but that was no fun, because I wanted my own car. After a few months of going back, I glued the roof tight, never to open again. As the years went on, the car did not give too much trouble. At least, the next thing was not a shortcoming of the car. After about 10 years of fun I parked it in the parking lot of my work. Next to the lot a tall building. In the building, floor 12, a young boy on a balcony, holding a plastic bag filled with water. He dropped it. As it went down, I read things get an enormous speed. It came down right on my rear window.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #63

Platinum Boarder
<p>It was smashed, and the insurrance of the boy's parents wanted me to take the car into the repairshop. This went into a complete disaster. The car was there for about 3 months, before a second hand window was available. In the mean time I was in touch with the insurrance, and I had no transport. They were willing to supply me with a car, but I had to pay a lot of money extra to 'hire' it. So that was a 'no'. All this time my wife and I were forced to go by public transport, which was also not insured by the other party.</p>
<p>After three months the car was ready, and I was asked to pick it up. Then it did not start, because they had left it all that time in a corner with the door open. 'Luckily' they gave me a new battery, and I was on the road again.........</p>
<p>Yes, this time it started leaking in the rear, where the new window was placed........ I held on to the car, but from then on opening the trunk would give about a cup of water out each time it rained. Altogether, even after all this, I kept the car for about 14 years!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #64

Platinum Boarder
The are a nice looking car and have seen many on the roads here. We have something called underinsured motorist protection where is someone does not have insurance or enough insurance, that takes over. So rental cars, no problem. Getting to take the car to where ever you want, in this case a glass shop, you can do that. I always get full coverage on my cars and trucks. Just not worth it to NOT get the coverage these day. You can be sued for over a million dollars if you have to go to court for an infraction or if you have a large accident where people are injured or worse. Best to have the coverage in place than have to pay back a million bucks due to an accident. Standard amount of coverage for Liability insurance here is 200 thousand. I have 3 million on my truck and it only cost me about $20 more a rear. Why not get the coverage.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #65

Platinum Boarder
Supra's are rare now, especially from the early 1990s.

I tend to switch between Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Was looking at a Toyota Supra the other day last year, but sportscars are too low for me.

Great solution to the leaky roof panels. One of the more common problems were leaky sunroofs

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #66

Platinum Boarder
<p>The only solution to a leaking roof panel, when new rubber was already placed, is glue it tight. However, bear in mind I bought the car when it was only about 3 years old, and I bought it also because of the open roof, so I don't think it was a 'great solution'.........</p>

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #67

Platinum Boarder
My car making decisions were on the advice from my late father who worked for the Wegenwacht.
Avoid cars with sunroofs, 4 cylinder no higher than 2 liter, avoid rear engined cars, stay basic, minimise accessories.
But my own rules apply to, do I fit in it and is it comfortable to drive fof a long period.

I do not think i will ever come close to the comgort of the 1979 Mitsubishi Galant Sigma we used to have thrice.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #68

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks. Cars are the biggest money absorbers, next to women sometimes, but I don't think ladies will read this, and I can always say those were not my words.......</p>
<p>Your father was a good advisor, but if so, everyone would probably drive the same car, besides the colour. Also, as the Supra was a 3 litre, the engine never gave up on me. I know what he meant though, second hand you never know if the former owner did some racing with it.</p>
<p>You actually know a car has been a good one once it has gone to the scrap.</p>
<p>So, the Supra was 18 years old at the time it started to get rusty here and there. So, it was time to look for a new one. This is nearly 10 years ago.</p>

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #69

Platinum Boarder
<p> </p>
<p><span style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB;" lang="EN-GB">So,exactly 10 years ago I started to look for a new car. It had to be in the line of the Supra, a sports car which can be driven daily. I could not find anything to follow up the Supra really. There was a Nissan 350, but I did not like it after all. There were BMW's, Audi TT's, even small Mercedes sports cars, but I wanted something extraordinary, and also reliable. Also I still had those Matras in mind, and I really did not want a disaster again. </span></p>
<p> </p>

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Something else came up which influenced my decision. In 2008 my wife and I no longer had to work for a boss, so the new car would not end up in traffic jam each day. Then my attention was set on the latest type Mustang. I liked it better than the previous model, because the new car had 'old looks' and a modern inside. The car is a rare sight in our country, which is fun. It is quite expensive on petrol, but I knew it would not run cheap.
I started searching, and importing one myself was no option, because an import car is heavily taxed here. The import tax office could not even tell me how much tax I had to pay on such a car, so the only option was to place my choice with several import dealers. It had to be V8, black or red, and no automatic. The dealers wierdly enough could not find such a Mustang over a longer period.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #71

Platinum Boarder
Irony is cars thare metallic silver are cheaper than red. Likely because companies buy fleetcars in bulk.

Currently doing the maths on a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
My friends are petrolheads and deadset against electric cars. As they are not paying for my petrol, and the Outlander looks in appearance similar to my old RVR which you can see in my avatar.

It is ironic we always gravitate to finding something similar to our first car.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #72

Platinum Boarder
I hope not, my first car was a Standard 8 and I certainly don't want to buy one similar to that PHOS.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #73

Platinum Boarder
<p>There were dealers who had a Mustang, and one of them was at the other side of the country. Holland is small, but not THAT small to search and buy a car 200 kilometers away....</p>
<p>The advantage was that it was already imported, so I knew the price. So, I ended up buing a gray V8, automatic. This is 10 years ago.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #74

Platinum Boarder
A showroom is the closest I hot to sit in the same Mustang, except it was a Jap-import RHD in met.blue.
When you are 195cm tall this had heaps of legroom.
It even had the sporty startbutton, whicha decade ago would be a hard to find option.

Well Keesie, you own my dreamcar.

Re: List your real owned cars in photos 1 year, 9 months ago #75

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Richard, yes, I have the Mustang for 10 years now. Time sure flies. Becasue I do not use it to go to work with, it has a low mileage, and I keep it in good order.
As you can see, the last few cars last me longer and longer, and I am not the person to change cars just for the sake of having a new one every few years.