Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Mk1 Transit

My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
It was built in February 1975 as a panel van, it was then converted into a mini bus (probably by the supplying dealer) before being registered on the 1st September.

The first owner was farmer who used it to collect and transport his staff to different parts of the farm during the crop picking season( or as he put it "pick up the pickers")

I bought it in May 1981and turned it into a basic camper van and used it to tow an M G Midget to and from race meetings and for holidays, it now spends its time attending shows during the summer.

Peter.

Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Transit.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Very nice, and such a rare sight these days. Did you know that Minichamps made a model like this? I have one in green with a white grille and black interior, but there are probably other colour variants available.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for showing us your Ride. Very versatile and useful.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #4

That is a great van, thanks for showing. And as TeeboDK says, a rare sight these days on the streets. I can remember seeing on at a show some 10 years ago. Never seen one ever since in the wild

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Looks well preserved and kept, a great survivor and great that you have had it so long!

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Looks a lovely van, in great condition, those mud flaps bring back memories especially the rear ones , the last Transit to have ones like that were the "Smiley face" Transits.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Ah yes an all time favorite.

However, the Taunus Transit from 1953-65 was the first to bear the transit name.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Yes, and the Taunus Transit is also the cause for generation discrepancies - in Germany it counts as MkI of the Transit, but in the UK the counter doesn't start until Peter's/Transit's car, so if you say Transit MkIII, for example, it will mean two different things depending on your location.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
The transit name does sound a lot nicer than its predecessor Thames Trader

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Great looking Transit Peter and in such a nice colour. There should be more models made of your series and more plastic kits to supplement the series II from Italeri.

Rollerman.

Re: My Mk1 Transit 2 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
TeeboDK is correct about the mark discrepancies. I think I must have driven just about all the marks and owned a mk1, a Smiley face (mk3 or 4 ?) and a mk 6, which was excellent, 280,000 miles let me down twice, both times serpentine belt failure. yes I do have the obligatory 'White Van Man' T shirt . Efsi did a plastic (32nd ?) mk 1, but they are uncommon.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Terrytoo.
  • Page: