MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town

MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I was to the post office this morning and these cars were across from the Liquor Store and real estate office and the Greenwood Legion on Hwy 3 which is a major high way right through our town. There must be 800 or 900 Semi trucks through here each day both ways. It is no stop as this is the only route across the bottom of the province and is the shortest to get to Alberta, where most of the trucks are going to from the Port of Vancouver.
We get a lot of car clubs and bike clubs rolling through town and lots stop to see the sights. Incorporated in 1897 it is Canada Smallest City and the Hwy is know all over North America in magazines as one of the most driveable and scenic routes in Canada if not the USA too. Anyway, I have pics but want to post this before it disappears.

I don't know the year on this one.
The first three cars are across the hwy from the Credit Union and liquor store and dollar store.

Says TF-1500 on the side of the hood/bonnet

1948 MGTC

Love the dash.

1953 MGTD

I don't know the year on this one either.

The next cars are across from the Realors and the Legion up the hiway to the south.

Another Great Dashboard

1946 MGTC

I think the owner said this was a 1971 but I may be mistaken. We got talking about an antique display in a couple of the old closed store here in town and I forgot to take a picture of the front. Ooops!
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
There is an art gallery here in town and this bike sits out front. I don't think he drives is as it is.
Sand bags are left due to the flooding. Keeps in on the highway instead of inside the stores.

Spring, Summer and Fall we always get a lot of bike through town. Here are two from today. Lots have trailers behind too.
This is the realtors office and a souvenir shop and such next to it.

Both shots above were zoomed in on from across the 2 lane Hwy.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Look at all these beautiful cars! Thanks for showning us Jim. Time really stands still looking at those, and indeed, a dashboard in one of those is a piece of art and a feast to look at.

Look at that big block on the front window in the same pictures as where you show the dashboards. That block is no doubt the engine for the window wipers! Those cars are probably all from the same era and are all from the same club.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Keesie

'the big block on the front window' is indeed the wiper motor (electric) there are 2 chrome leavers, one is the on/off switch the other is connected to the spindle so if the motor dies you can operate the wiper manually . The main problem with those wipers was there no way to keep the blade against the glass once you were moving.

have fun

Terry

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Another interesting thing about the dash is the Speed-o-meter is on the left side of the dash and the tachometer is on the right, behind the steering wheels. I wonder about that and were they all like that or are these left hand drive conversions to right hand drive. They may have originated here in Canada.
Yes Kees, these guys usually drive around the province and there are normally about 50 of them. Not all are MG's but he said most are. Due to the wildfires we are having here in BC again this year, they chose no to go north up the Fraser Canyon on Hwy 1 as it is closed at Cache Creek due to the fires. They came to the Boundary and Kootenay areas instead. The guy I was talking to said they really enjoyed the drive and the scenery was great. Lots of good sites to visit and everyone was so friendly. I like that.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Real treat to see, I would love to see these in my street, don't see many classic cars like as I did up to a few years ago so seeing them is a real buzz, I went to a small classic car show last Sunday in Essex & it was lovely to see the charm of seeing some old regulars from our roads .

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I think I will start taking my small camera with me when I go for the mail. Always something to see most days.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
That's what Mary Moorman thought!

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
?? Mary Moorman??

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Don't you know Mary Moorman? She was with her friend, Jean Hill.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Here the are, maybe this shines a light.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Great photos Jim.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by GunnerJim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Kees, if i did ever hear of them, and I am sure I have on TV, I have completely forgotten about them. Not a big Kennedy assassination plot follower.. Now I know who they are but don't really care.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Fair enough Jim, I just brought it up because in an interview I read she used the very same words you used.

Re: MGTD, MGTC, MGTF and MGB-GT in Town 2 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Lovely photos Jim and thank you for sharing with us! I think the clue to the years of the cars is the licence plates. They must be made up chosen ones registered in Canada but on some of them, they look like they've been made to look like old style Pre 1973 British number plates. 46 MG TC etc (1946 MG TC   ) They possibly started life in the UK which may be why they have Right hand drive and were later exported.

But many of those cars were exported to the USA possibly Canada when new from 1945 onwards as part of Britain's "export or die" policy and were quite popular in states in particular. Approx 3 of the cars (can't see them as I type this) are TC's (made from 1945 to 1950), the dark green one and 2 dark coloured ones. Also the first cream one is the last of the T series cars, a TF1500, made from 1953 to 1955 when replaced by the MGA.

Dinky toys actually modelled the TF as a road or race car with the appropriate drivers. Of course Corgi made the MG B GT and other "modern" model makers have made it in recent years. Lesney Matchbox in the Models of the Yesteryear range made the TC and there was a 1/32 scale plastic kit available too.

MG made a TD too (which is what the red car is 1953 model) and that was modelled by Tekno (the Tekno experts might be able to help with that one!). Cheers and great to see these cars have an enthusiastic following in Canada too!
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by CollectorandrestorerMark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco
  • Page: