Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Swallow

The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This story took some time to write. It REALLY happened, and too good not to tell!

On May 25, as soon as I get up, I always take out the White album, LP nr 2, track one.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Keesie.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
"Birthday" Great song. I had to dig my copy out from off the shelf. Bad shape and has lots of surface scratches but them I have not played it in probably 20 years.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #3

All though I am a Beatles fan, I have not heard the song that much to remember it immediately. So I had to visit youtube and it is a great song indeed.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, as you know me, I give you a hint, and let you figure out yourself what it means, so Birthday it is, and I play it loud, always on May 25.

This time, after breakfast we decided we would go out.

I have an old pushbike, once bought for 100 euros. It is a real good old bike, and it is not that I don’t have money for a new one, but I have to park it somewhere without it being stolen. It still takes me where I want to go, but it needs new tyres, and since a long time only the third gear works, now a few spokes are broken, causing the rear wheel to buggle, and it starts to rust. The past few days the drive chain is a bit loose, so one of the links has to be taken out. This is difficult, without the tool which is made for this. So I had to look for a ‘new’ pushbike. I searched the net, and there were a few shops in Purmerend (8  miles away), which had second hand bikes up to 250 euros. Not a ‘Swallow’, which is the high-class bike from the city of Koog aan de Zaan,  but a Gazelle or Giant, which are also very good.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
May 25, Ascension Day, so a public holiday, and also a very sunny birthday, I took some more money with me, although I knew bike shops would be closed. First to a village called Zuidoost Beemster. Traditionally it is ‘bridgemarket’ there. On a specific path, ditches on both sides, small bridges leading to each house over the ditch, people living there can sell their old stuff.  We parked our bikes on one end, and walked all the way past those bridges. 

My wife found and bought a ‘Golden Seal’ bag. She collects those, and she has the habit on smaller bag into a bigger one, and so on. So sometimes it takes time if she wants the smallest bag. I found nothing, and it was my birthday, until……my wife saw it first: a spice rack! You know, a small wooden rack filled with small spice bottles you use in the kitchen. This one has 18 bottles.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #6

so you are a cook also!

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
No Theo, I am not a cook, my wife is, so the spice rack is actually for her!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
The story is that a long time ago we got a spice-rack, 12 bottles. Of course the salt bottle was most used, and therefore the text on the sticker faded. Unfortunately the lid of one bottle disappeared, and over the years I tried to find just a lid, without luck. Till Ascension day.

I asked the guy how much he wanted, and he said 3 euros. Before I could agree, his wife said: “You are asking too much, you can have it for 1.50 euros. I agreed, and explained I was quite willing to pay 3 euros before the lady placed her remark. I sure hope this did not cause an argument between them during the night……… we decided the new rack was nicer than the one we had, so no lids had to change bottles!

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
We carried on to the city of Purmerend, where there was another market on the main square. There was a lady selling stuff, and on her table a box with old tools. Going through the box she said all the tools were from her ex-husband, a bike-repairman. He left her, probably on his bike, leaving her his tools. In the box I found a device to open the front door just slightly, meant to keep unwanted people out. I thought she would probably be better off keeping the device to stop her ex-husband from entering, but I did not tell her that. Further I took out a small press device, called a roller chain breaker, to take a link out of a drive chain, and make it shorter! I had to pay 1 euro for each item. Here the pictures, together with a DVD I bought.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Nice score and I would have left the door safety lock behind. A good shoulder to the door and they pop right open unless you have long strong screws going well into the framing around the door, and then it will break out of the door. Same for those ones with chains. There is no substitution for a good 2" dead bolt going into the framing or top and bottom pins you slide into deep holes above and below the door.
The eyelet maker is a great tool. Use it with small eyelets for attaching suspension tin to base plates. I have done that on a few Dinky toys and it works great, just a little bit oversized.

The roller chain breaker is a great tool but take it slow as you turn and push the roller pin out. I have one of these and have had it since the mid 1970's as I had lots of bikes and I also used to own a Harley and British Bike shop in the early 1980's. I also have a pocket size one that is worked by holding the body in a crescent Wrench or about a 3/4" wrench and then a 1/2" wrench to turn the stud to put out the pin.
You can also get half links for most chains too as taking out a full link may make your chain too short. It did on my 1942 Harley 45cu WWII bike. Had to get a half link to finish it off. I think I still have a few links and a half link out in my tool box from way back then. I still have the box for the larger tool too.
Love the book, here is what Wikipedia says about it. I read this one many many years ago. It was also made into a movie.

"The Day of the Triffids is a 1951 post-apocalyptic novel by the English science fiction author John Wyndham. It is about a plague of blindness that befalls the entire world, allowing the rise of an aggressive species of plant. Although Wyndham had already published other novels using other pen name combinations drawn from his real name, this was the first novel published as "John Wyndham". It established him as an important writer and remains his best known novel.

The story has been made into the 1962 feature film of the same name, three radio drama series (in 1957, 1968, and 2008), and two TV series (in 1981 and 2009). It was nominated for the International Fantasy Award in 1952,[1] and in 2003 the novel was listed on the BBC's survey The Big Read.[2]"

Good scores all around and you even got 6 extra jars with your new spice rack. Cheap as I bet you would be hard pressed to fill a bottle of Tyme or Garlic chips for that price. Spices are expensive and they go flat after about a year.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that great comment Jim. We already have a chain saftey lock intalled on our front door, but I could not leave this one. That chain roller break is really impressive in all it's simplicity. The fact they used chain links on the tool itself as well is really good. As you figured I was going to use it on the chain of my pushbike. 

Indeed many variations have been made of the Day of the Triffids. There is another movie from 1978, with Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum.

Most of the bottles n the rack are never used, but it is just nice to look at, nicer when filled up than empty anyway.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
My day turned out to be successful, although I still did not find a pushbike. We met a few family members of my wife, who had their kids with them. I was congratulated, and of course we sat down somewhere, had a drink and a small meal. All kids were happy, and of course I paid for it all........... My bike-budget went down to 210 euros. We said goodbye to everyone and went home.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
SORRY not my definition of successful , unless it's Brownie points you seek

I have The Day of the Triffids in a compendium along with 'The Kraken wakes', 'The Chrysalids' 'The Seeds of Time' , 'Trouble with Lichen' and 'The Midwich Cuckoos', haven't read any of them in years.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Terrytoo.

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Hi Terry, why not successful? By the way, the day was not done yet.

Eh, what are Brownie points?

Re: The Swallow 3 years, 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I looked it up, you get them for doing good deeds......did I?
  • Page: