pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession

pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession 4 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
took a while, but here I am again on a longterm project. it is to simplify our visual stimuli of the object we desire. Correct model, correct year, not so much history of who did what, altho some automotive has taken me by surprise.

There is a debate going on about who had the Beetle shape first. If you look at several car manufacturers in America, Europe and even the former Czech republic, in the 1930's everybody was doing the reversed streamlined models.

Historically Porsche was not the first choice. He had been developing a car for years. winning a military contract is every engineer's dream. but anyway, the two doodle sketches produced a Zundapp designed by Porsche, and an unusual rear engine Mercedes-Benz, their first choice.

Daimler-Benz clearly had the upperhand here in design specifications of what was wanted by Homer Simpson (haha) yet the price of building the Mercedes-Benz 130 was too much.

Porsche  designed Zundapp Type 12 was the first official VW Beetle, but predates the sketch by 3 years.

The Porsche-NSU was a definite development over the Zundapp.

So one has to wonder when the V1, V2 and V3 really came from as they don't look like the sketches at all. Its all Porsche.

The Walther Gotschke painting was from a photo dated 1936.

The red V1 is from 1935 as the first official Volkswagen. Do remember that they are actually Porsche cars and up for a military contract to be rebadged KdF.

I like the V1... its cute.

Its also known as the 1936 V3 combining the three prototypes as one, but personally its a Porsche IMHO.

no rear window, there is a divider with vertical glass separation in the cabin behind the rear seat to dampen the noise and keep the heat away a little. hate to think when that window fogs up. That's where 1937 comes in.

1937 brought Daimler-Benz back into the fold. the V30, or thirty models were build by Daimler-Benz to do a rigorous cross country rally type of test. A test designed to break the car. Some did break in fact. but from these tests they re-designed the model completely.

This is the murky part of history. how much influence did Porsche actually have after he sold the design to the military government in charge of Germany? Germany's favorite son was still Daimler-Benz who had the infrastructure of factories already in place.

The KdF project was a scratchbuild factory city - after the war renamed Wolfsburg after a nearby castle.

but in the mean time the 1937 V30 was a Mercedes-Benz.

1938 KDF is the VW Beetle shape that captured the world. This model would go through some bizarre developments and changes along the way.

1939 brought out a breadvan

1940 the beetle went 4x4, not just the Kubelwagen or Swimmwagen.

I really like this 1941 utility vehicle.

it gets a bit murky here, but I figure the gas shortage would have brought the charcoal driven vehicles into play.

nearing the end of the war these would have been ghastly to see.

1946 and we have a pre-war towing a post-war beetle. note the VW hubcaps painted on.

The official 1946 VW Beetle was a rebadged 1938 KdF.

What a great start to a legacy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession 4 years, 10 months ago #2

great information! I am sure a lot of us like this

Re: pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession 4 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I like the way you are walking us through the VW Beetle's history from its Porsche sketches and the pre war VW development until post war design that has been around for decades now. Looking forward to more of this walk through VW history Richard.

Cheers.

Re: pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession 4 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. The information is all there. I just want to make the timeline a bit easier.

I was gobsmacked to learn that the 1937 V30 prototype was build by Daimler-Benz.

I would say the Volkswagen was officially this in 1946. The simplest term would be the research found was to give the German ppl hope back to a better future.
Tat the company still exists and thrives is testimony to that.

Although its still just a Porsche to me

Re: pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession 4 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I reckon more like a bug to me.

Re: pre-war VW beetles: my current obsession 4 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Porsche type 64 pre-war based roughly on the 1938/46 kdf/vw with the oval rear window of the next generation beetle split rear.

• Page: