Car prices in 1950 in the USA
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Car prices in 1950 in the USA

Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This is the year I was born. If only my parents had thought to buy me one of these back then, what would it be worth today. I will take a 1/2 ton panel, please.

Re: Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #2

that is great!
now suddenly I understand tudor and fordor

And look at that telephone number, only 3 digits

Re: Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Yes, two door and four door.
I can remember 4 digit phone numbers from Vancouver as a kid, If you lived in CA4 ( Castle exhange number 4) you only had to dial the last 4 digits of the number. If you lived in another exchange, say Regent (RE) you had to dial all 7 numbers.
I also remember dialing '0' for the operator and asking to be put through to a number or just picking up the phone and telling the operator the number you wanted. I also remember party lines as my grandmother was on one. That is all 1950's stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
the optional floor mats will cost that much these days

Re: Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
That is about right, Shane.

Re: Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That's really funny.  Thanks for posting!

A FORD dealer used Tudor and Fordor to describe ALL his used cars! A DODGE FORDor??? FORD used those names for their cars in the 1930s and 40s as a play on words.  Guess the FORD branding dept was not around back then!
Last Edit: 5 years, 11 months ago by karls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Car prices in 1950 in the USA 5 years, 11 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
Their automatic transmissions were titled "Ford-o-Matic", nowhere near as imaginative and evocative as some of their competitors' offerings - Jetaway Hydramatic, Torqueflite, Triple-turbine Dynaflow and so on !
  • Page: