Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car

Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Hi guys first time on here this year.and was not around a lot in 2015 and this is one of the main reasons my latest toy. car is so rare as its the only Ford Sierra Traffic Car the Met Police had ( they had 100s of Ford Sierras as area cars and in other departments like flying squad drug squad etc etc ) but this is the only ONE traffic car ! It was given to the traffic dept for evaluation and after 2 years in the job it was decided it was not up to the job as it could not carry all the necessary boot equipment ( so thats why Sierras where not used as traffic cars and the Met went with the Rover 827s ) The Sierra then became an accident investigation car and garage spare. Then ended up on the skid pan at Hendon (The HQ of the Metropolitan Police ) and was used there for years, long after the Met finished with all of its Sierras. And thank God it survives and i have just finished its restoration it has 98% of its original equipment which has been a headache finding but all nearly finished and ready for the show season 2016.A real museum piece.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #2

Platinum Boarder

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #3

Platinum Boarder

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
So this car has joined my other two Met Police Ford Sierras.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
These look great Vaughan, if you see a Sierra on the road today it is a rare site ,so well done for putting this police example back to its full glory.

& welcome back to P.D

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hi Vaughn, now, what puzzles me is the fact that you (or anybody else with them), are allowed to own such cars that to all intense and purpose, are still POLICE cars. What happens when your parked up in ASDA's and a member of the public comes across and says...Officer, I've locked my keys in my car, can you help!

No seriously, do you have to prove that the Two's and Blues do not work as I can see it could be an advantage on busy roads and you want to get Home early for tea.

Cracking car and what a nice stable of them you now have.

What car shows do you think you will be showing at, I'll come and find you and say hello!

Rollerman.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Here in Canada you can not licence them for the road. They are strictly a show car and have to be trailered.
I am curious about these cars as I can see tax Discs in each of them. Here we have a decal that fixes to the licence plate directly. There your plate goes with the Car, here it goes with the owner.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #8

Superb and a joy for the eye

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I am sure Vaughan will answer your questions on these cars but I know that these cars are his pride & joy & the bigger side of his collection & so as the general public & fellow collectors can enjoy looking at & looking back at our vintage Police cars, he follows all the rules i.e not driving them to Asda & not dressing up as a Policeman whilst driving them.

Without people like Vaughan who put time & cherish their cars ,where would history be?
Last Edit: 6 years ago by Andy66.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Hi guys and thanks for your comments. These cars have to be above and beyond street legal i take them for an mot and have a AA man go over them again. You are not allowed to show any of  blue light or the word Police,so on the light we cover it with a Met Police mechanic cover that they use when taking the cars out on test it reads in red CAR NOT IN SERVICE and the police signs are covered with magnetic covers that read FILM AND TV CAR we do use them for pleasure but not for just popping down to Asdas in. We also have a very GOOD rapport with the Police and they are not daft and know we dont abuse the use of the cars.Yes the blues work and so do the sirens and the flashing head lights ,but not the radios. All of my Police cars are still in hibernation and not legal till this April but to day we were asked to attend our local Police open day so we loaned them a mountain of collectibles from old toys,pedal cars,film and tv memorabilia and they were over the moon with our display see pics. so guys hope this answers some of your concerns.
Last Edit: 6 years ago by Sierra1.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Moderator please delete first post (sorry dont know how that happend ? )Thanks Andy Pics of todays show

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #12

Platinum Boarder

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #13

Platinum Boarder

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Great display well done, nice to see this in a London borough well done.
Last Edit: 6 years ago by Andy66.

Re: Metropolitan Police Ford Sierra Traffic Car 6 years ago #15

Platinum Boarder
  • Page: