Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: My vehicles

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #91

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo, yes, those are the six Dik Trom books. It was calculated, that on average every household in Holland has at least one Dik Trom book.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #92

Platinum Boarder
In between, from 1850 on, the Industrial Revolution began: people started to work together in bigger buildings, a lot of explorers and inventors flourished, think about the camera, early wooden pushbikes, and in our district the draining of the lakes, building steam engines to take the water out. (in fact, one of our biggest polders, nearby, was
controlled by my father in law once, but there are diesel engines now) The early pushbikes were developed in France, and around 1870 the latest one was the ‘Hi bi’, Penny Farthing in English. Around 1875 the air-tyres were developed by Dunlop, and also the rear chain was made. Around 1885 a bike was presented similar to what we have nowadays. Therefore it was called ‘the Safety’, and the Penny Farthing  ‘the Ordinary’. (you can guess where this is going now).
It was said Kieviet traveled here and there by pushbike. As there were no cars, I formed myself an idea of which sort of bike he had……..  
After 20 years of teaching in Etersheim, in 1902, Kieviet got more money from his books than from his job. He left the school to get a job in Zaandam, yes, very near to where Gerrit lives! He stayed there till 1917, retired, and died in 1931

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #93

Platinum Boarder
Now you know why the school is called the Dik Trom school. Here a picture taken in 1928.

Life carried on, and children and teachers came and went. The 1929 crisis and the poor years after that, resulted in a shortage of kids. In 1939  the school closed, and the  6 remaining kids had to go to another school in the village itself.
The building was sold, and changed hands several times after that, and finally it ended up as a cow stable.
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #94

Platinum Boarder
Underneath the building  around 1970. Comparing it with the previous 1928 picture, you can see a lower hallway was added, which was done in early 1932. Before that, the children had to enter through the door in the rear.
The new lower part made it possible to enter through a door on the left, where the children left their coats and cloggs in the new lower part. This situation remained, and when restored, it was done like this again. 

In 2010 the owner decided to demolish the building at first, to have a new house built. Luckily money was raised by a new foundation, who managed to buy the building. Plans were made to save it, and a successful restoration of the building took the greater part of 2012. All this was done together with 'crowd-funding', and a lot of people from these surroundings donated to this.

As you can see it seemed impossible to save it. The pictures underneath are from 2009.

The concrete between a lot of bricks was gone.

For those who follow this story, pay attention to the picture underneath for later compare. It is the former class room. The owner  took out the greater part of the rear wall, and placed a sliding door to have his car in there.

Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #95

Platinum Boarder
Pictures of the restoration.

Even the original fence was found and placed.

As the piles or fundaments were made of wood, they were gone. 15 meters deep holes were drilled INSIDE the building, and filled with concrete. In this picture the very first hole was filled. Note the balloons.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #96

Platinum Boarder
So, when the project was finished, this was the result:

Compare this to the earlier picture.......

And underneath from the rear. To compare, old first, and new, a year later!

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #97

Platinum Boarder
Since these pictures I placed, a new parking aeria was made, a new secundary building made, new fences and gardening was done. Since the start in 2013, 5000 visitors a year come in!

So, I visited once and asked relaitvely simple questions like: when was electricity placed and running water? Nobody could answer those questions, which made me think. There should be a book about the subject. Of course there was a lot of talk, and a lot of promises, but in the end I wrtoe the book on my own (which was the best anyway!).

In our village, since 1996, there is a group of people investigating and keeping track of the village history. Other people know this, and bring old photo's from forefathers, buildings, even stories told to them. Every time an old person dies, things come up from attics and cellars. This HVO (Historic Vereniging  Oosthuizen) has a part of a building where they have meetings, and where they keep everything valuable. I went there, because I wanted to find out more about the museum. They had a lot, but I really had to look hard to get everything I needed. There were a lot of gaps as well, so I had to travel to various other places, meeting a lot of people. I discovered a lot of unknown details, and in the end I had enough to make a book.

Exactly one year ago 100 copies were made, and now there are now 87 sold. All earnings go to the school of course. Further, from then on, I am considered to be the 'expert' in the village about the subject. I meet a lot of people, and exchange a lot of info.

And sometimes..........?

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #98

Platinum Boarder
.......Sometimes it is a special day. The children of 1890 are already in their benches, and the lady teacher is  present to giude them. Master Kieviet is also on his way to tell one of his stories. Here we go, back into time!

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #99

You are building up the tension here Kees!
Great story

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #100

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo, I intend to.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #101

Platinum Boarder
I noticed that all of a sudden there are a lot of members online........

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #102

Platinum Boarder
This is a great story and a wonderful end/start to an old historic building. Get on with the final pictures please. The suspense is killing some members.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #103

Platinum Boarder
Suspense is good! Ok, Kieviet is coming to the village.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #104

Platinum Boarder
Doing his lectures.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #105

Well have I ever, red tires, even before Dinky used them the were already in use.

Great story and beautiful photos