Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: My vehicles

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
I guess before you move on to the Mustang, I'd be interested to learn more about the Harley.

Did you use it much?

Did you do any lengthy road trips with it?

Any memorable experiences worth sharing?

Is the wife a good pillion passenger?

Do you wear lots of leather stuff when riding?

And that model - did you work on it to make it look more like your bike?

edit:

Wow, I just missed Nobleco's post. That's enjoying life to the max.

I'll leave you two to reminisce.
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by CorgiCrossEyed.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
1956 Harley Davidson Pan Head show winner for best engine detail, best paint and best in class. About 1982 or 1983 in Kelowna BC, Canada, World of Wheels show.

This front end is called a Super Glide. Referring to the bike it came from.

My bike shop sign. Bought as H-D V-Twin but changed to Okanagan V-Twin  Specialties Inc. circa 1981

Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
The Show Pan Head was the last and I sold it about 1989 after my second child was born. She now has 2 kids of her own 1 and 3 1/2. I did not ride it much as it was a show bike, Just around town rides.
The Knuckle had thousands of good and bad mile on it. maybe 25 thousand for sure but probably much more. Had it for about 8 years. Was a chopper when I fist bought it as you can see in the photo at the start with my good buddy, long gone now, Niels. He was Danish.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Look at those guys in Jim's picture!!!!Really cool, a reall 'Easy rider' picture. You have gone through some Harley history there. And the picture of that engine, all gold and chrome. That servi-car always reminds me of a flm clip shown when the JFK-murder happened. Gee, you even had a bike shop! Just for Harleys or could any bike enter?

Tell more later about my one Greg.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Greg, I bought the Harley on the day I quit my job in 1991. That did not seem logical at the time, but for me it was. The start of a new era so to speak. At that time, still is, going for a Harley was still not done for 'normal' people here. Only Hells Angels rode one, or at least guys with a lot of muscles. I am not small but certainly not a muscle guy. I just had the idea of when buying a Harley would be owning a piece of history, a bike that would not change much over the years, and therefore not relying on fashion.

As I did not know anyone who had a bike like that, and with only 8 official dealers in Holland, I had a lot to investigate. I remember I wanted a sort of softtail with a longer front fork, my wife wanted one with those leather saddle bags. In the end we decided for the top of the bill at that time, an Ultra Glide. In the mean time I had a small ride on a second hand one from a shop. So I went to several shops to speak about my wishes, but wierdly enough no one took me seriously.....also when I wanted my choice, I had to be placed on a 'waiting-list'............
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Luckily someone wanted off the list, and he was replaced by me. I had to go a dealer in Eindhoven, which is the other side of the country, to see the bike. It was an 'import', which meant it was brandnew, but not meant for Holland. Therefore the light had to be changed and some parts of the petrol system had to be changed. Then it had to be taken for a gouvernment check. Anyway, I bought it, and from day 1 it was a feast to ride. How wierd it may seem though, (hope Jim agrees.......)the quality is good, but the 'end' details are very poor. Although it has never seen one drop of rain, the screws on the middle part of the tank were uncovered iron, so rusty. I replaced them with stainless steel of course. Taking the chrome parts off, like the headlight ring, the footrests, other lights, everything was bare metal inside or underneath, so rusty. I threated everything with special paint or 'boat-laquer', so that was done. Over the years I discovered more parts and details that were poor, so replaced or done better.

The first few years my wife and I had some great rides on it. We wore our leather jackets and jeans and boots. We never went on big trips though, like we used to do with the Honda. Nowadays my wife is not keen on going for a ride anymore, and so I take it out only a few times a year. I will not sell it though, because I am not short of money, and by selling it, I know I will never buy one again. I still enjoy the few rides I do on it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Well, that is one fine looking Harley.Fairing and light bar, with bags and white wall tires. Nice look and I like the color, deep maroon. I still have my leather Jacket, horse hide, leather vest and leather pants. Boots are here in the basement and my gauntlets are up in my bedroom in a box. Long rides here in BC are windy and lots of hills. Just the right roads for a road bike like the Harley Davidson.
The newest one I have owned was a 1972 servi-car and for a 2 wheeler, my Combo 1956 Panhead. I did most of my riding on the Knuckle and it has a total rebuild when I bought it in about 1976. I rebuilt the motor 8 years and 55,000 miles or so later. Did a complete engine and transmission. New paint and you have a new bike just about 40 years into its life. I owned it for about 8 years, paid $3000 for it and sold it for over $6000. The new ones are in the high $20,000 bracket and up. My Knuckle would probably fetch about $18,000 to $22,000 today. Those are US dollars too.
I don't know what the quality of the bikes are today with so many Japanese and Chinese parts in them they are hardly American any more. Just assembled there.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
More pictures.
From left to right, Niels, passed on in 1998, Me, still alive, Al, musician and still playing all these year later and Ed on the right. He was paralized from the middle of his back down in a bike accident with all four of us here in BC, Summer of 1979. This photo was taken about 1977.

My Good Buddy Niels on his 1972 police Electra Glide. We always had a good ride together, almost every weekend. I rode my bike to work and back all the time back then.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #24

Gold Boarder
Sure is fun looking at all the photos and reading the thread. I was a Norton Altas rider my self. Sold long ago.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
I always wanted a Norton 750 Commando and then a Dunstal Norton.

In answer to Keesie`s question, We also did British bikes. NO Japanese, German, Italian etc.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I guess I have to withdraw my words that no one is interested in Harleys!

Rix, that Norton must have been a nice bike. I knew someone who had a Commando.  Jim, you placed some fine pictures and shared some fond memories with us, thanks. Yes, my bike is maroon red. As I said before, for getting one you were on a waiting list, and you could not choose a colour, just had to buy what was there. I remember I actually wanted a blue one, but I came to like this colour once I got used to it. When I bought it there was a lot of paperwork with it. I still have all of that. One of the papers was concerned that I was now a HOG member (Harley Owners Group) for a year. With that membership came a lot of 'privileges', like attending meetings and such. Of course they did not take into account that there were buyers on the other side of the globe......

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
I know of the Harley Owners Group and it is a good club. I have never been a member but some of the privileges are great like you say. Discounts on parts is one and another is being able to rent a bike from almost any Harley shop, no matter where you go. If I was a member and came over there we could go for a ride together, me on a rental, you on yours.
Blue would have looked great, too bad you could not choose colors. Myself, I would have gone with a Bing Cherry color, very dark almost Black. I do like your Maroon color though.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
A ride together would be fun! Yep, I could not choose the colour, in fact, if I would not have chosen the one I have, I would probably have ended down on the list again. After a while I got used to the colour, and probably  I would have chosen red now, if I had to choose again.......also I went to the USA several times after I just bought it, and had a 'wishlist' of aftermarket parts I bought on the way.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Ya, I bet you did. They would be cheaper for you to bring back too. Some stuff you would not get in Holland either.

Re: My vehicles 6 years, 4 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
The parts bought in the US were about half the price of what they are here!