Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!

TOPIC: My vehicles

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #121

Platinum Boarder
Jim, the rear tyre was welded on, and and I think it has the same measurements as some invalid cars and children scooters and such. The front tyre is a different thing. Let me explain:

Around 1820 a wooden bike was made with two equal 'cart' wheels. You had to walk/step to go forward. Over the years the wood changed to hollow lighter metal. Around 1860 someone invented the peddles on the front wheel. Around 1870 they got the idea to make the front wheel bigger, which would mean you could go faster. This is true, but you have to deliver far more engergy to rotate the wheels as well. The bigger the wheel, the faster you could go, and the more dangerous it all became of course. The taller the man ('s legs), the higher the front wheel could be. No need to tell I measured my leg size and such before I concluded which size was the best wheel for me (52 inch)

Because there were many variations in the front wheel size, the tyre was not standard. You had a solid rubber tyre, with in the centre a steel woven wire. They cut off the size of the surround of the wheel, BUT about 10 to 15 cm less. The steel sticking out on both sides. Then both steel ends were clicked into a device, wich rotated one end of the wire clockwise, the other end anti-clockwise. This made the tension inside the rubber go up. Finally, when the rubber was on the wheel, both steel ends were connected to one another, and the RUBBER ends could be pushed over the steel ends, untill they touched. Finally they were then melted together. 

Sorry of there are any mistakes, this is quite complicated to tell........
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #122

Platinum Boarder
The way to get up.

Now look at these. As I have a lot of old pictures from my village, here is one of and 1850 building, where I met my wife. The picture is taken around 1900.

I asked a friend to stand in the same position as where this picture was taken. (In fact, he stood in front of his OWN house!). Then he took a picture........
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #123

Platinum Boarder
By some strange coincidence Australia Post has just released a series of 4 bicycle stamps.

These are the early couple

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #124

Platinum Boarder
There were several other designs in between. First, the PF was only for MEN. Ladies still wore long dresses. So experiments were done with two big wheels in the rear, a small one in front, with one or two seats. Can you imagine there was also a model with the high wheel in the rear and a small one in front?

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 10 months ago #125

Platinum Boarder
That was a good description, Kees. I followed you on it. Interesting how they did things back then, experimenting with ideas like the solid rubber wheel made to fit each size. Very ingenious for the time, I am sure.
Nice stamps Malcolm, they look nice. Thanks for showing.
We always get animals or plants on ours. Right now they are all baby animals, Penguins for $1.80, Mountain Goats for $1.20 etc and we get bugs like Hyalophora cecropia ( big moth) for .25¢ or dragon flies for .10¢. Lots of others too like the Elk on the $2.50 for international mail.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #126

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for this post Keesie.

It's been an absolute joy to read.

I'm very glad that the Dik Trom school was preserved.

So lucky to have the time and the energy to enjoy so many fascinating interests.

Well done.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #127

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, these are subjects you will not read in history books. Would you believe I contacted people only one street away from where I live, and I told them their grandparents were on that school, and ....they did not know that!!!!!!!

They did not even have pictures of their grandparents, and I did!!!!!
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #128

Platinum Boarder
Your a regular historian now Kees. Way to go.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #129

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys , it is fun. Tomorrow night I am invited by.......the women-club here to tell the story!

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #130

Platinum Boarder
Nearly forgot, I got this from my neighbour: a miniature Penny farthing. I only had to make a standard for it.
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Keesie.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #131

Platinum Boarder
Tonight, about 60 women, young and more old, gathered in a room. Me telling the story of the school. It was..............GREAT!

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #132

Must have been a good time then Kees, many questions asked I suppose?

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #133

Platinum Boarder
Oh yes Theo, most of these women come from our village, so a lot of 'nodding heads', and it was soo good. I talked for an hour and 15 minutes, and was not ready yet, but had to stop. They set up a laptop with beamer, so I could show a lot of pictures.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #134

Platinum Boarder
I hope I can carry on in this thread.

Monday night a few big busses with refugees from Syria came into our village. They will stay in our sports hall for a week (I have some volleyball matches elswehere......).

This afternoon I was doing my garden. Then a group of about 20 guys from Syria passed, together with some locals guiding them. Most of them speak good english, and I showed them my Penny Farthing. Took it outside, and had a small ride on iit in our street. They really appreciated this, and some said they never saw a thing like that before.

Re: My vehicles 4 years, 9 months ago #135

Platinum Boarder
I sure hope it all works out for those refugees. Some are nasty people from what I have read and heard on the news over here. Most are just trying to stay alive and they had to leave Syria to do that.