Diecast collector magazine
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
General discussions about Hot Wheels
  • Page:

TOPIC: Diecast collector magazine

Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Probably this posting is 'overruled' or solved in a few hours, but still:

As I was on the Sandown toyfair late November, I was intevierwed by people who work for 'Diecast Collector'. They said the report of the entire toyfair would be in the February  issue of the magazine. Actually they meant the February issue, which would appear early January. Well, I keep looking at their site, on which they say it is fro sale on January 3, so today. Always they place the picture of the front and some inside pictures, but as there is nothing yet, I am so curious......does anyone have that magazine?
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Hi Keesie, I have this issue & there isn't anything in it regards Sandown, it may be they mean the March issue which comes out in February.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that Andy. I just saw the front (Aston Martin) on the site of DC. Of course it could be in the next issue, but mention Sandown in November in a February magazine  does not make sense to me......

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Well, they can't do it before and it does take time to do a write-up and then get it formated for the magazine and then get it to the printers on time for the issue it is going into. A November fair should not be in November or December issues and a January issue would be pushing it if you ask me. If not in the Feb. Issues (out in Jan) then it will be out at the beginning of February in the March issue, I would guess.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Of course everything takes time Jim, but there are people for all these jobs along the line:

The reporter types the story at home. One press of a button, and it is at the magazine, together with the pictures, sent by the photographer. Formatting and lay out will probably take a day, and printing as well. But it does not take a month or more for sure. The people just said to me it would be in the issue of January, that's all.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I think it may take just a day for your article but yours is not the only one there. How many are still being written or researched etc or waiting for photos. Most monthly publications take about 3 weeks to set up ready for printing. I have worked some in the business and produced ads for a school that had 8 different locations and I dealt with 12 or more publications. Newspapers had about a 2 or 3 day deadline but magazines had a 1 month deadline at minimum for placing your ad with them. They have to format it in with the rest of the newspaper, magazine, periodical or what ever other medium you are advertising in. Trade booklets were less time but tourist publications were months and months ahead. same with phone book covers, I think they were 6 months lead time.
Varies all over the place

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hi Keesie
Unfortunately the 'reporters' have no control over which issue, or even if it is published at all, an editor has the final say on content. More than likely the 'reporters' were not even employed by the magazine, but freelance.
Sorry to be a killjoy.
Terry
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Terrytoo.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Well, it's a pity, because since Sandown I was under a sort of tension to see the outcome. As I might have said before, it was quite  a big interview in which I gave a lot of information. I guess factory made models will always be in favour of home made ones........

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi, I am not a fan of the media, even less of media people, they will tell you anything to get what they want.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
You are right Terry, I would say I don't like people who promise things and don't fulfill them without mentioning the reason. I hope I used the right words in this.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I understand completely what you say, Kees. Those are the right (correct) words.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Keesie

As the person responsible for bringing the reporter and photographer to Sandown, I feel I must make comment.

Whatever the reporter does or says regards articles to appear in magazines can not be taken as 'Set in Cement' and despite saying an article will appear is a specifically dated issue, it is always upto the editor to say what goes and what does not go.

The article for 'Diecast Collector' of my own collection will appear some time this Year, despite the pictures and notes being taken during the end of last Year. I have not been told when it will appear.

Your biggest problem is not when it appears, but the mistakes that may appear in the article when it does appear. I became quite friendly with the reporter and can get into contact with her at any time if you have problems, so sit tight for a few Months to see what happens, OK!

Kevin.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
TheRollerman wrote:

Your biggest problem is not when it appears, but the mistakes that may appear in the article when it does appear. 
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Hi, nowadays quality magazines always submit a full pdf of the laid out article text and illustrations before publishing. In that case the remaining mistakes are also for the author's or interviewed's responsibility. I have good experiences with that. Kind regards, Jan

Re: Diecast collector magazine 3 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. Kevin, first of all, I sure do not blame you. You might have brought the reporters to Sandown, but I didn't know that, and also, they spontaniously came to our stand and interviewed me. The reporter said the complete report of their Sandown visit would be in the January issue. First I thought a January issue would appear in January, but found out the December 'one' is called the January issue. So if it would appear, it would proably be in the February issue (hope you all still get that......)

Thanks agian, I was also into contact with the reporter. In fact, she asked what else I did which could be worth a story. That's for the future.  

Second, it could be that the bigger part of the report is about whatever, and 'my' part would be minor. In fact they said they could not say if any of the pictures taken would be in the magazine. But 1+1 is 2, and thinking about it, the interview would not be any good without pictures.

So, although they said it would appear in whatever issue, I think it is my own expectations and enthousiasm primarily that which caused me thinking it would appear soon.

We have a saying: eat your soup when it is still hot. I eat it hot.
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Keesie.
  • Page: