General discussions about Hot Wheels

TOPIC: Gran Toros

Re: Gran Toros 4 years ago #31

Platinum Boarder
And now added the Chapparal in almost mint condition

This brings me up to 8 as pictured here

Here is a comparison of the Gran Toros and a Mebetoy. The Mark II.
As you can see Mattel used the same casting. Just changed the to the plastic/nylon wheels and the springy thin rod axles that doubled as a suspension just like a true Hotwheels. The Mebetoy used cast hubs and rubber tires. And of course the bases changed. Mattel added the Hotwheels logo and on some models kept the Mebetoys logo and name on the base as well as Mattel

The green is Mebetoys, the silver and blue are Grant Toros

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Gran Toros 4 years ago #32

Great looking cars! I like the German translation for Hot Wheels

Re: Gran Toros 4 years ago #33

Platinum Boarder
my impression was the Italian name Sputafuoco  loosely translates to "spits fire". Referring to the Hotwheels flaming wheel logo ????

I read that on the Gran Toros collector's website

What is the German  Heisse Radar????
Last Edit: 4 years ago by Tick.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Heisse Rader is simply Hot Wheels!!

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 11 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
This Ferrari Can Am just arrived. The Can AM decal along the lower side is original (and needs some attention) as are the "8" and Ferrari logo. All the others need to be removed. One of the wheels has the chrome rubbed off

Otherwise, I thought this one was in very nice shape for the price. Postage cost me more than the model

Last Edit: 3 years, 11 months ago by Tick.

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 11 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
Tick, as you know I like those models too. They have to be extra-ordinary with a lot of opening or moving parts! The only thing I am not keen of are the whizzwheels.....

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 11 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
I think you will fin in the 1:1 world, the 5 spoke star alloy wheels are standard Ferrari issue, and the multi hole deep dish are standard Alfa issue. Obviously most of their customers go for something a little different.
Last Edit: 3 years, 11 months ago by Terrytoo.

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #38

Gold Boarder
The transition from Mebetoys to Mattel indeed produced the SputaFuoco series, or Grantoros. Some of the 1:43 models were also made in the old hotwheels series.

I really like the 1:43 series, they are starting to get flashy, but not too much, inventive design and bright colours.

They are hard to find, harder than Mebetoys themselves, and most are available in multiple colours..

The McLaren M8D

The Mantis

The Ferrari 512S

Ferrari Can-Am

The Stratos HF Bertone is a mebetoys Mattel, but according to the base plate not a Sputafuoco, but i alsways feel that it belongs in that series...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #39

Platinum Boarder
All are great looking cars. Thanks for showing.

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #40

Platinum Boarder
Lovely examples in very nice conditions. Thanks for adding to this Gran Toros thread.

For me, they are simply Mebetoys regardless of what is on the base plate if they don't have the low friction axels and nylon wheels. Its those bendy suspensions/axles and nylon/plastic wheels that make them "Hot Wheels"

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #41

Platinum Boarder
Tom, you must know 

grantoros.com/grantoros/home.html .  It is full of information!

Just a few hours ago, I was looking at Joals at hobbyDB.com...

Then I saw that they did a Gran Toros copy - but they messed up and labeled it as a Mclaren Gran Toros!  

www.hobbydb.com/catalog_items/mclaren-m80-gran-toros

Funny!
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by karls.

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #42

Gold Boarder
Yes, I found that site a while ago. Always amazing to see the models in every available colour.

I never thought I would like these Mattel cars until I got a few and was just amazed by the detailing. I really like how they use different colours for the exhaust pipes in some models, makes a real difference.

A bit strange that Joal would name a model Gran Toros, isn't that a brand name from Mebetoys/Mattel?

Anyway they had 3 pics on hobby db, a third one is definitely another car altogether although a pretty nice one, apart from the wheels.

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #43

Platinum Boarder
Wrong car in the McLaren box!

Joal saw the Gran Toros McLaren and copied the toy car.  They did not know the real one so they got confused by the baseplate of the original and labeled it the "McLaren Gran Toros ", I think...  

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #44

Platinum Boarder
Interesting name, Gran Toros. In Spanish it means Great Bulls.

Re: Gran Toros 3 years, 1 month ago #45

Gold Boarder
I have the Chapparal from Mebetoys. I thought the condition was good until i saw the quality of the Sputafuoco above..

Anyway this one has yellow headlights which I haven't seen before on these models.